FIFA 2023 WWC qualifiers

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by SiberianThunderT, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Crazy how Chinese Taipei will be seed number two considering they were never at the world cup since 1991.

2. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Italy in pot 2 instead of South Korea. Jamaica in pot 3 instead of Nigeria.

SiberianThunderT and toad455 repped this.
  3. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    World Ranking of already qualified teams:
    1.USA
    3.Sweden
    5.France
    7.Canada
    8.Spain
    9.Brazil
    11.Japan
    12.Australia (host)
    16.China
    17.Denmark
    18.South Korea
    22.New Zealand (host)
    25.Colombia
    31.Argentina
    33.Vietnam
    37.Costa Rica
    42.Jamaica
    46.Nigeria
    53.Philippines
    54.South Africa
    76.Morocco
    80.Zambia

blissett repped this.
  4. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    With the new FIFA rankings:

Hosts 2: Australia(12), New-Zealand(22)
    AFC 5: China(16), Japan(11), South Korea(18), Philippines(53), Vietnam(33)
    UEFA 4/11: Sweden(3). Spain(8), Denmark(17), France(5)
    CONCACAF: 4 USA(1), Canada(7), Costa Rica(37), Jamaica(42)
    CAF: 4 Nigeria(46), South Africa(54), Morocco(76), Zambia(80)
    CONMEBOL 3: Colombia(25), Brazil(9), Argentina(31)

Inter-confederation play-offs update:

Chile (39)
    Chinese Taipei (38)
    Thailand (41)
    Papua New-Guinea (49)
    Paraguay (51)
    Cameroon (59)
    Panama (57)
    Haiti (56)
    Senegal (84)

Lohmann repped this.
  5. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Netherlands qualify through inter-confederation play-offs we can have a group
    USA
    ESP
    KOR
    NED
    :eek::eek::eek::speechless:

blissett, toad455 and Lechus7 repped this.
  6. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    The pots looking like:

Pot 1: Australia, New Zealand, USA, Germany, Sweden, France, Canada, England
    Pot 2: 8 remaining UEFA teams
    Pot 3: 5 AFC teams, Colombia, Argentina, Brazil
    Pot 4: 4 CAF teams, Jamaica, Costa Rica, 2 intercontinental playoff winners(non-UEFA)

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yup! Italy didn't drop quite as many points as I thought, plus CHN/KOR didn't gain as many. And I'm rather surprised about NGA dropping as many as they did. They didn't have a great tournament, sure, but they still they still went 3-1-2. Guess it shows just how unbalanced the CAF rankings were for NGA to be that far ahead of everyone else that the wins meant basically nothing.

blissett repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's not accurate at all. Rule #1 is ranking alone, as they got rid of the confederation-based pot system a couple cycles ago; rule #2 is that the playoff spots will all be pot 4, if the previous men's WC is evidence. Even if the playoff draw happens before/at the main draw, we won't know which teams come from the playoffs, so even if it's a near certainty that the UEFA tame comes through, you can't make the pots with that assumption - hence all playoffs defaulting to pot 4. CAN and BRA will be pot 2 teams, along with two of the AFC teams. JAM+CRC will be pot 3, and PHI pot 4. You even repped @Lohmann 's correction to my pots, how did you come up with your own that are so different?

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, seed #2 in the playoffs, remember. Of the playoff teams, there's a grand total of four WC appearances: TPE, CHI, THA, and CMR all at one each. Just because they haven't appeared recently doesn't mean they're much further behind anyone else. (And CMR, who have appeared recently, are still pretty far behind others.)

What's more surprising is is that TPE is resurging at just the right time (or, rather, finally holding steady through a WC expansion). They haven't even qualified for the Asian Cup since 2008 before returning this year. To be fair, of course, they've always been just bubbling under the necessary level. They've been remarkably consistent - from 2010 to 2020, they've remained in the 35th-42th bracket in the rankings. An expansion of the WC to 32 teams puts them on that level of "yes qualification is reasonable".

Honestly I'm really hoping they come through if only to end their dubious WC drought, by default the longest on record aside from anyone who hasn't ever qualified before. Qualifying for the very first one and then slipping in pace with the expansion of the tournament has been severely unlucky for them IMO.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I find it humorous that TPE has passed CHI by a whopping 0.3 points. That'd be within error for just about any ranking anywhere.

I'm still mad about DPK being allowed to stay ranked

Bit surprised to see how many points BLR gained but I guess that def of CZE was worth it

Also weird: TKM gaining 35pts from an 0-2-2 record. I know they weren't ranked before, having only played their first 5 matches ever in 2019, but I don't see the math working out there... Especially since I don't see a 35pt deficit in the four teams they played this summer.

soccersubjectively and blissett repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You basically wrote the same post I wanted to post, @SiberianThunderT, just beating me by about 40 minutes! :p

I wasn't even aware that you could be ahead of another team by so few fractions of points. I guess I hadn't even paid attention to the number of significant figures before today! :x3:

Seriously, I am aware there has to be a numerical tie-breaker for such cases, but being ahead of a 0.3 barely makes sense. Probably every single goal scored or taken by each of the two teams had its weight in the final positioning! :eek:

Ditto for this one also. Seriously, by now it's a travesty: if DPK don't bring back to life their football program, they should be kicked out of the rankings right now. This is unprecedented.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They didn't start using decimals until the April '21 rankings, so it's been barely over a year that this finer-resolution stuff has been in play. Still pretty new!

TBQH, I think it's good that they added a decimal point, but I don't think two decimal points was necessary. I mean, the resolution doesn't matter much after the 10s place anyway when it comes to comparing overall team strength... That fact taken alone would make it seem like you only need resolution up to the 1s place, but since friendlies often only ship a handful of points to begin with, that's why I think the 10ths place was a good addition. (Just not the 100ths place.) It's important for single matches, but not meaningful at all to the overall rankings.

soccersubjectively and blissett repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I am relieved that I only missed this stuff for a year: given my attention-span, could have been more! :laugh:

14. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    It's dumbfounding that North Korea is still ranked

blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Has it to be political? Pressure by China? :cautious:

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not really... That is, they're currently applying the exact same rule to all nations. In the rules update last year, they made the change that said nations would not be ruled inactive unless the failed to play a recognized game for an entire four-year timespan. Granted, you could say the rule change itself was politically motivated... But once the rule was on the books, there's no further surprise as to why they're "still ranked" - emphasis on the "still". They're going to linger until the official clock runs out; the only way for them to become unranked, at this point, is to not play another recognized game before March 2023.

And I know someone else in the ranking thread once made the comment of "well, the rankings are mostly there for the WC, so it should take a full WC cycle of inactivity to fall out of the rankings." Which, okay, there's definitely some logic there... But it doesn't pass the sniff test for what it *generally* means for a team to be "active". You'd expect an "active" team to play at least once every calendar year or so.

blissett repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...because, what need of this rule, except for saving North Korea? (Or some marginal bottom-of-the-ranking teams I don't actually think anyone at FIFA cares about?) :cautious:

18. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Should Russia be out of the rankings because they are excluded from FIFA?. They are probably one of the best teams who won't in this world cup (quarter finalists in 1999 and 2003) and 6 euros appearances.

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They are just excluded from competing, not from FIFA membership. Their ranking will fall anyway.

20. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    But North Korea's hasn't despite much longer inactivity.

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #271 shlj, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    You are right Russia's UEFA coefficients are the ones that have already decreased, not the FIFA one.

North Korean and Russia's FIFA coefficient are unchanged indeed.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That is, I think, the only major problem I see with Elo ranking systems with soccer - a lack of rating decay due to inactivity. I totally understand it from the internal logic of the Elo system, because the system is designed to be zero-sum and designed for a game that's frequently played and didn't really run the risk of players "aging out" and/or "falling out of practice". But that's a flaw when you expand the system to athletic sports, especially on the national team level.

23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I am thinking the teams fighting to be seeded in the play-offs should really make the calculation and schedule their next friendlies in order to bump their ranking points.

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By this point of view, ho to assess England's choice of a friendly vs USA? Is the home advantage enough to make them the favourites, or the gap in points between #4 and #1 is still too much?

I see it as a somehow low risk-high reward choice (I don't think England should lose very much from a minimal-margin loss, but I guess they could gain quite a lot from a possible win) but maybe I am wrong? :cautious:

25. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Current ranking points put Germany,Sweden,England and France as favorites at home against USA against all others USA is favored even away.