FIFA 2023 WWC qualifiers

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by SiberianThunderT, Jun 30, 2020.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Since the hosting candidates have now been decided, I figure it's time to move on to a new thread about deciding everyone else, right? =-) This will be a catch-all thread, as I'm sure that each specific qualification competition will get its own thread in time.

This qualification cycle will be interesting for two reasons: the WWC is expanded so there are 30 spots up for grabs this time around instead of 23, and the COVID-19 pandemic has basically taken an entire year out of the cycle, though that's a bigger issue for some confederations than for others. Hopefully FIFA decides on the slot distribution soon, since the confederations need to decide on their qualification formats soon - most will need huge overhauls.

Qualified so far: (2/32)
    Hosts (2/2)
    --Australia
    --New Zealand
    AFC (?/?)
    --
    CAF (?/?)
    --
    C'CAF (?/?)
    --
    C'BOL (?/?)
    --
    OFC (?/?)
    --
    UEFA (?/?)
    --
    Playoffs (?/?)
    --

(Most posts incoming!)

blissett, Lechus7 and soccernutter repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In terms of how the slots are distributed, I think two of the biggest questions are exactly how many spots UEFA gets and whether OFC gets half a slot or a full slot.

In almost all of the 32-team MWCs, UEFA got 13 slots. WoSo is a bit more worldwide than BroSo is, but I'm personally still expecting UEFA to get 12 slots, although I guess I could see 11. UEFA got 8/23 slots in the past two WWCs (i.e. not including the hosts).

It was mentioned in the candidates thread that having a tournament co-hosted by AFC & OFC, it would in a way make sense to have an AFC-OFC playoff berth. That said, considering how many "minnows" will get into the tournament no matter what, I think it would absolutely fit to just give OFC a direct spot in addition to hosts NZL.

Either way, I really hope FIFA promotes more inter-confederation playoffs than before. It's usually just 2 teams, but I would love to see playoffs include 4-6 teams, so to get more cross-confederation play at the mid-low tier of nations.

Anyway, here are some suggested berth distributions stated from the other thread:

jagum, blissett, Lechus7 and 1 other person repped this.
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    While there's uncertainty in the exact distribution, it looks like three of the six confederations will need to decide 5 or 6 total teams (last one of each going to playoffs). In all of those three confederations, they use two four-team groups followed by a four-team knockout bracket - which is an AWFUL format for picking 5 or 6 teams. The third-place knockout game is entirely pointless, and the group stages are also pretty pointless when only one team from each group gets eliminated in the group stage. Also, in two of those confederations, there's a huge gap between the top teams and the next tier.

IMO, each of those three confederations needs to adopt one of the two following formats:
    And not to let C'BOL off the hook: having a "final group" of four teams is also pretty pointless if 3 qualify for the WWC directly and one goes to playoffs. I like their two five-team groups, so if they keep those, I think the A1vB1 final and A2vB3/B2vA3 qualification matches would make sense. They could also just make the final group 6 teams instead of 4. This could also be a great opportunity to experiment on their format... Do you have the lower 8 teams have play-in matches ahead of that 6-team round robin? Maybe actually do a full 10-team round robin? (Like the men do but with single round-robin and not a double round-robin.)

And then there's UEFA, whose format actually works pretty well and wouldn't need a reformat EXCEPT for the little fact that they're the ones who are REALLY hurt by losing a year from the calendar....

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #4 SiberianThunderT, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    So, what about UEFA? If they had a full 2yrs for the WWC qualifying like the normally do, there would be no issue. However, with the EURO being pushed back a year, that severely limits the available time to hold their normal qualification, unless they decided to begin WWC qualification before the EURO begins and do some really weird type of overlap.

IMO, UEFA has two options: play their "normal" qualifying campaign, except make each group single round-robin instead of double (could work, but they you get into really sticky arguments of who gets to host matches) OR split their qualifying campaign in half so that the EURO decides a number of slots.

I personally much prefer the second option. There are 32 teams that attempted to qualify for the EURO but failed; that's a perfect number to set up a secondary competition that can run roughly concurrently with the EURO to pare the "best of the rest" field down. I would say the top 8 EURO teams directly qualify to the WWC, while the next 8 play some extra matches to reduce to 4, and those 4 play the 4 "best of the rest" to decide a "final 4". If UEFA gets 12 slots, all of those "final 4" get in; if UEFA gets 11 slots, those "final 4" play a couple more match to eliminate one of them. And if UEFA somehow gets 13 teams.... Well, the not-final-4 play to see who gets the extra!

That's a bit hard to put into words, so here's an attempt at a run-down at which teams are active when:
    "R1" - BotR(32)
    "R2" - BotR(16) + EURO(16)
    "R3" - BotR(8) + EURO(8 elim. + 8 in KOs qualify for WWC)
    "R4" - BotR(4) + EURO(4)
    "R5" - winners(4) + losers(4) ; 3, 4, or 5 qualify depending on UEFA's slots

((Note: you could also combine the BotR path for R1+R2 if you just have eight 4-team groups where the winner advances, which would make it fairly parallel to the EURO; similarly, you could take the 8 team eliminated from the EURO and the 8 BotR teams at the time and have them play four 4-team groups. Point is, it's a fairly flexible format when you start with 32+16 and all you need to do is eliminate 1/2 or 3/4 of the teams at each step))

And one final note about UEFA: there is a MASSIVE points gap between UEFA's #14 (Austria, 1792) and UEFA's #15 (Russia, 1708). Depending on who gets eliminated from contention where, that could make those last 3-5 slots quite interesting to play for....

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    As an addition to this previous post, I've thought of a two more formats that could also work if 5 or 6 total teams is desired:
    This format eliminates 6/12 teams directly from the group, which makes the group stage rather important, but it does the odd split between 2nd-place teams (which can be very much decided by chance/draw) and has the most strong-vs-minnow matches of the three formats... Still, it's probably the most straightforward.
    Also really straightforward, but short and might get teams mad at the prevalence of the tiering (which isn't as influential in the tiered 12-team tournament from the earlier post).

6. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    UEFA has 19 teams (men) and 21 teams (women) in the Top 32 of the World Ranking. In the Top 20 are 13 teams (men) and 12 teams (women), I don`t think UEFA should get less teams in WWC than in MWC. CAF has one team in the Top 50 and should get more than 4 spots?

blissett repped this.
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    While there are 32 teams in the WC, using that exact number as a cutoff while comparing the men vs the women is actually a fairly poor comparison, if only by circumstance: in the men's ranking, teams by confederation are fairly evenly distributed as you get past the top 20, but in the women's ranking, there are a string of 5 teams from UEFA in 28-32 with only one UEFA team from 33*-40. That is to say, looking at "top 32" exactly gives likely the most skewed comparison you can give.

Remember that in the men's ranking, UEFA+C'BOL make the entire top 10 and 18/20 of the top 20; on the women's side, the top 10 have consistently seen four different confeds, and the top 20 more often than not (at least historically) has 5 confeds when NZL gets in. Not only that, but it is a *World* Cup, there are going to be adjustments made to let "weaker" confederations be "overrepresented". (CAF in particular generally has shown to give some surprisingly good results in the past two WWCs, which might be unexpected based on their ranking, but not so surprising if you notice that the pattern of international play means points that maybe should be going to CAF aren't getting there.)

If we really want to see how UEFA compares men vs women...
    Code:
    Top...Men...Women
    So they're pretty even, but in general the men have slightly more UEFA teams in any given "Top X" than the women do.

The one final consideration I'd want to make known is that, compared to the last two WWCs (23 non-host teams each), we're only adding 7 spots to the next WWC. Considering that FIFA is pretty adamant on not letting UEFA get half or more of representation anywhere, I think going from eight UEFA teams to twelve, i.e. giving UEFA four of the 7 new spots, is already a stretch as-is. No way 5/7 new spots go to UEFA. There might be more adjustments in UEFA's favor in the future, but it's not gonna happen for the 2023 cycle.

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In the last WWC there were four or maybe five really bad teams. Now we are adding seven more teams from those starting below those bad teams. Given that maybe two of the added teams are actually decent we are adding at least five bad teams making a total of about nine or ten bad teams.

I think that is a mistake. The WWC should be a showcase for the quality of women's soccer and reducing the overall quality of the pool is not the way to do that.

blissett repped this.
  9. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Comparing the Top 10 in a World Cup with 32 teams is completely irrelevant. The same is true for a Top 40 or Top 50 comparison if you argue that UEFA should be underrepresented because they have so many good teams. You can use the Top 40 or Top 50 only if you think a confederation should be overrepresented.
    This table makes more sense:
    Top Men Women
    20 13 12
    25 15 15
    30 18 19
    32 19 21

In this relevant comparison the women`s teams from UEFA are slightly better than the men`s teams.

The reason why UEFA will have less teams in the WWC than the MWC is historical. UEFA and CONMEBOL were dominating in men`s football not only on the pitch but also in FIFA. Their strategy was to have the best teams at the World Cup ignoring the aspect of universality. When the WWC started in 1991 the strategy of FIFA had changed and universality played a bigger role.

Every Four Years repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think dividing teams into "good" and "bad" is too binary in general, and doesn't reflect where WoSo currently is. There's a fairly significant middle tier of teams - IMO two or three middle tiers, but I digress - that still have plenty of room to be tapped. I mean, if you only look at the "last eliminated" team from each confederation, yeah you get this:
    AFC: Phillipines
    CAF: Mali
    C'CAF: Panama
    C'BOL: Colombia**
    OFC: Fiji
    UEFA: Switzerland*
    Sure, the only reliably "good" team in that list is Switzerland, but Colombia beat France back in 2015... Plus, here's a list of other teams that are as good or better than those last six:
    AFC: North Korea****, maybe Vietnam
    CAF: maybe Eq.Guinea* and Ghana***
    C'CAF: Mexico***, maybe Costa Rica*
    C'BOL: maybe Venezuela
    OFC: maybe PNG
    UEFA: Wales, Russia**, Poland, Ireland, Ukraine, Iceland, Austria
    Those stars are number of previous WWC appearances. In other words, there are 8 countries that missed out on the 2019 WWC that had qualified before, 5 of which had qualified multiple times before. Thinking that we're definitely "adding at least five bad teams" is definitely a misguided take.

Lechus7 repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think it's entirely relevant to consider the bigger picture, but that narrow framing isn't objectively wrong either.

That said...
    This comment is just wrong. "Unequal distribution" was absolutely present in the MWC long before the 1991 WWC came around.

12. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    So your main argument that UEFA will get fewer spots in WWC than in MWC is that CONEMBOL is weaker in WoSo?
    UEFA's placements is in the rankings are rather similar for both genders.

Lohmann repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not at all. I was bringing up the "overall continental representation" point in that paragraph for a more general argument about how the confeds get represented in the WCs. That's why I ended that paragraph discussing CAF in particular, to counter Lohman's complaint on that front.

The rest of the post is more specific as to why I think UEFA has gotten (and probably will continue to get) less rep at the WWC than at the MWC.
    ...as I directly pointed out just a few lines lower in that post. Both the top 10 and top 20 have one fewer women's UEFA team than men's UEFA team.

14. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess that is your way to say: You`re right but I don`t want to admit it.
    Where did I said that "Unequal distribution" started in 1991? Nowhere!
    MWC started in 1930:
    Year UEFA CONMEBOL Participants
    1930 4 7 13
    1934 12 2 16
    1938 13 1 16
    1950 6 5 13
    1954 12 2 16
    1958 12 3 16
    1962 10 5 16
    1966 10 4 16
    1970 9 3 16
    1974 9 4 16
    1978 10 3 16
    1982 14 4 24
    1986 14 4 24
    1990 14 4 24
    1994 13 4 24
    1998 15 5 32
    2002 15 5 32
    2006 14 4 32
    2010 13 5 32
    2014 13 6 32
    2018 14 5 32
    2022 13 4,5 32
    2026 16 6+1/6 48

WWC
    1991 5 1 12
    1995 5 1 12
    1999 6 1 16
    2003 5 2 16
    2007 5 2 16
    2011 5 2 16
    2015 8 3 24
    2019 9 3 24

When the MWC had 16 teams 9-13 teams were from UEFA while we had 5-6 teams from UEFA when the WWC had 16 teams.
    When the MWC had 24 teams 13-14 teams were from UEFA while we have 8-9 teams from UEFA since the WWC has 24 teams.

It is easier to give someone more but less than he deserves than to take away from someone what he already has. This is the reason that the distribution of the WC spots remains relatively stable when the number of participants doesn`t change. A increase in the number of participants on the other hand make it easier to give a confederation less spots than it would deserve. If you should give a spot to someone else you would complain but if you get added two spots despite deserving three you wouldn`t complain.

UEFA already had 10 spots when the African countries boycotted the World Cup qualification for 1966. So we had a different starting position than in WWC where universality always has played a role.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #15 SiberianThunderT, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Not at all; words, mouth. I was just saying I acknowledge different driving philosophies even though I think mine is more reasonable.

That's what it sounded like. Granted, I read more into it than what was written to suggest 1991 exactly, but you made it sound like this "universality" was a comparatively new thing. It wasn't.

Even with that logic, that rather insufficient to explain the discrepancy. For one, that "relatively stable" thing isn't that reliable - your list already includes a very noticeable drop in UEFA representation from 12 to 9 (a VERY big drop in just 16-team tournaments) as well as a lesser drop from 15 to 13 in the 32-team era. So it's honestly easy enough to take slots away. Second, the number of times each tournament has expanded has provided enough opportunities to mitigate the differences in some of the manners you suggest. Lastly, it still doesn't change the fact that WoSo *is* more worldly than BroSo is. For example, at the time of the final 24-team MWC, 17 of the top 24 teams were from UEFA; for the final 24-team WWC, just 14 of the top 24 were from UEFA. (And you get similar comparison whether you look at the top 20, 25 or 30 at each time period.) The difference between the men's and women's representation at their respective WCs is largely justified without any sort of finagling arguments about "universality".

16. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    About Conmebol we already have the first news: Argentina applied to host the Copa América 2022.: https://www.ambito.com/deportes/cop...nizar-la-2022-y-la-libertadores-2021-n5112900

I think this Cup should be modified as it serves as a qualifier for 3 tournaments:
    Olympic qualifiers
    World Cup qualifiers and
    Pan American games qualifiers
    After participating in the Copa America femenina 60-70% of the teams remain in total inactivity. More tournaments would give South American teams a better chance of recovering from a bad draw or a couple of bad games.

And as @SiberianThunderT said, Conmebol should have a final format with 6 teams. It would be a shame if Venezuela stayed in a group with Brazil and Colombia and did not have the opportunity to reach the final phase. I suppose that the format will be modified depending on the number of Conmebol slots.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The one problem is that all three of those tournament happen basically within a year of each other... so there's not much else for C'BOL teams to regularly play for.

...on that note, it might actually be a good idea to spread a double-round-robin tournament with all 10 teams out over the course of 2yrs or so... We'd just need all 10 C'BOL federations to agree to fund the teams over that extended time period. (Or have C'BOL force them to do it from the top.)

18. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    That would be a great boost to South American women's soccer. Hopefully Conmebol will ever consider it. A Venezuela-Brazil in Barquisimeto or a Colombia-Argentina in Barranquilla WCQs would have great attendance, especially if they are crucial matches . Well we'll see ...

SiberianThunderT and sbahnhof repped this.
  19. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It`s not reasonable at all. Should CONMEBOL and CONCACAF get a spot less if Brazil and Canada are ranked 11th and not 8th? And if USA drops to 13th position in World Ranking? This would be relevant for an Olympic tournament with 12 teams but not for an World Cup with 32 teams. The Top 10 ends with 1940 points while the teams in 32nd place have 1659 points. It is irrelevant for the World Cup spots if a team drops from 1958 points to 1938 points. If I would follow your "logic" I could argue that UEFA has four teams in the Top 5 in women`s ranking but only three in men`s ranking. So UEFA should get more spots in WWC than MWC.
    Are you hotjam2? I`m not a English native speaker but I think "had changed" is Past Perfect.
    Instead of apologizing for your inappropriate comment you try to blame me that you can`t read carefully.
    In 1954 only three CONMEBOL played in the qualifiers. Argentina was among the teams missing. In 1958 some teams didn`t want to play against Israel. FIFA didn`t want them to qualify without playing a qualifier and draw them against one the UEFA teams which had finished second in their group (Wales).UEFA had only twelve teams because of the problems in other confederations. In 1962 the World Cup was in a CONMEBOL country(Chile) after the World Cups 1954 and 1958 in Europe. In 1966 there was one place for Africa and Asia together. In 1962 Marokko and South Korea as the winners of their Confederation qualifiers had to play against Spain respectively Yugoslavia. In 1970 the World Cup was in a CONCACAF country (Mexico) and after the African boycott of the 1966 qualifying FIFA gave Africa and Asia/Oceania each a spot. In 1974 the Soviet Union refused to play in the stadium in Santiago where prisoners had been executed. The 1998 World Cup was in France (UEFA) while the World Cups 2010 were in South Africa and 2014 in Brazil. FIFA also used some tricks to reduce the number of UEFA spots. The holder was no longer automatically qualified and FIFA didn`t add a full spot to UEFA when the World Cup was in Europe.

UEFA had 17 teams in the Top 24 for men and 14 for women. This is a difference of three. But the difference between the UEFA participants is five (considering that MWC 1994 was in the USA and WWC 2019 in France).So there is a difference that I have tried (unsuccessful?) to explain you.

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hey, somehow this has become the most derogatory term you can throw at someone here on the women's boards? Poor @hotjam2! :p

Lohmann repped this.
  21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You keep arguing minute details (esp. changing the exact reference point) while I keep saying "look at the big picture". I don't know how to get you to see the forest for the tress but we're clearly talking past each other and aren't going to be on the same page so I'm not going to give you any more of my time. Honestly I can't believe you spun out so much over my original comment about a small one or two spot difference.

22. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A small one or two spot difference? It decides for many players if the can play at a World Cup. Is women`s football not important enough to have a fair distribution of World Cup spots?
    I`m seeing the big picture and it says: You have problems when someone proves you are wrong. Again you to try to blame me for our controversy. You are the person who repeatedly have told nonsense and I`m still waiting for your apology.

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #23 SiberianThunderT, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    You'll be waiting quite a while for an apology that's not coming, then. My whole point has been that the current setup is largely fair as-is, especially considering it's a WORLD Cup, and "fairness" can mean multiple things. I've presented plenty of evidence to show my points aren't nonsense and you haven't sufficiently countered them because you seek out details to run off into tangents.

24. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So you think it is okay to lie? You think it is okay that women get less World Cup spots than men despite similar World Rankings? I have shown that all your arguments are nonsense. Why can`t you tell me why the Top 10 in the World Rankings should matter for the spot distribution of a World Cup with 32 teams?

25. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It does not matter where the additional teams come from all that will happen is more lopsided games. If the weak teams try to attack the better one we will see blowouts and if they bunker we will see matches that are little more than a passing exhibition by the better team. The only good game that will come from the additions will be when the play other weak teams.

It is not that there should not be weak teams but that there should not be so many. It looks like there may well be two poor teams per group or, if the draw happens badly, there may well be a group or two with three weak teams. While that may produce interesting game it will not produce the quality soccer that should be on display at the WWC.