Fiercest Rivals

Discussion in 'England' started by Ian sutton, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Ian sutton

Ian sutton New Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Just a question as to which team you would consider to be our biggest rivals. I find it interesting that the likes of Scotland and Wales see us as their biggest rivals but we dont seem to reciprocate. We see to class Germany as our biggest rivals but they dont rate us.
    Does anyone class scotland or wales or ireland as our biggest rivals? or is it someone else?

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Scotland first, then Wales were once our traditional and biggest rivals.
    A big shift in the force came about, just before the 1960 word cup with the rise of the Hungarians Spanish and German teams.
    The Scots and Welsh, for some reason became static and dropped out of sight. And Germany, for more than football reasons became our chief rival. Don't let them tell you the 1-5 didn't bother them.
    They have their hands full with Spain these days though
    Argentina, filled the spot for us for a while but that faded.

3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would say Scotland. They hate us so much and we seem to get excited for it too. German fans have never cared a whole lot for this fixture and I think it's toned down with us too.

4. Ian sutton

Ian sutton New Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i hate to say it but i actually think scotland are nowadays. I think our expectations for the team have dropped and we have finally realised we can't mix it with the big teams anymore. Hence why we get so excited for a mediocre match with scotland.

5. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think I would enjoy smashing Argentina the most to be honest. I can't bring myself to care about Scotland, and the Germans don't much care about us I feel.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I just think the Scotland rivalry is number one but think it's to do with history than anything else and pretty obvious hatred towards us ( I blame Mel Gibson ;) ) so for me it will always feel good to beat them no matter what. Wales are not far behind them though and especially since there more of a threat than Scotland are these days, infact I will be pretty nervous going into the Euro game against them. The German rivalry for us was always going to decline and yeah they don't care anyway.

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's weird that the rivalry with Germany has dwindled down despite the Lampard ghost goal in the world cup. It's probably about the fact that they're the best side in the world and we know it.

8. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't we have a little rivalry with France as well?

9. Ian sutton

Ian sutton New Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I suppose we do but the France thing is more rugby if you ask me. With Germany, like you said, they are the best and we are nowhere near their quality in terms of performance and overall football structure. I would love to have a football model like theirs, so many world class young players.