field position #s ?

Discussion in 'Coach' started by john rod, May 23, 2021.

1. john rod

john rod Member

Jan 8, 2005
    kingman,az
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would someone tell me the position #'s. like where the 8 is, where the 10 is, on the field. also what system is this based on, 4-4-2 or ?
    thanks Rod in AZ.

2. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    The 8 is typically the center midfielder. The 10 is usually a more offensive minded mid, the center attacking mid (CAM).

It's not really based on a particular formation.
    Usually you'll here 6 for the CDM (central defensive mid).
    8 for CM
    10 for CAM (or sometimes centre forward)

11 for left wing
    7 for right wing
    9 for striker

It came about at a time when the formation was 2-3-5 (many decades ago).
    So the numbers made sense then as they went from right to left:
    1 - goalie
    2 & 3 - defenders
    4/5/6 - mids
    7/8/9/10/11 - forwards

Then at some point there were 4 on defense so they pulled down the 4 & 5. So 2 & 3 were RB/LB, 4 & 5 were centre-backs.

The 6 stayed as a mid. The 8 and 10 came down to midfield. So 6/8/10 are mids.

That left the 7/9/11 as forwards.

I guess if you had to pick a formation it'd be more like a 4-3-3.
    But you can use any formation you want.

3. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear, the numbers for positions are just an informal tradition. There are no rules of where they need or should be. Only at top levels should these ever even be considered when putting a team together.

4. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Not according to the USSF, at least as of fall 2019.
    Disagree with this as well. If you start describing positions based on the role at younger ages, IE "6, 8, or 10" instead of just CM, it gives players more context using fewer words and builds their knowledge of the game.

5. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF put out an official memo stating what numbers should be? Can you link?

As far as teaching players, I highly believe that giving them a number is worst than telling them what their actual role is. It does depend on the level which is why I said at higher levels it makes more sense. Lower levels and lower ages I know from experience that 'You're playing center midfield" is much more informative than "You're playing the #6 role."

6. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    https://logansoccer.com/files_uploaded/USSFSystemofPlay.pdf

Maybe. If you start teaching your 8Us the numbers along with the position roles and continue as they progress, you'll have 14Us who know what a 6 is compared to a 10. So if you tell them their role is a 6, it's much more informative than saying go play CM.

7. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the doc. I'm actually very surprised that USSF uses that. They're using the descriptive name of the positions equally though. I'm curious if this is something that remains in their material.

Putting all that aside, if someone wants to use numbers that is fine, but I highly believe it doesn't help developing players. Because higher levels use them it's good for more advanced players to know, but from years of experience it only causes confusion at lower skill and age levels. Telling a U10 rec kid they're playing the #8 role when they're wearing #12 on the back of their shirt never goes well. Introduce it to more competitive levels with better players, but don't add another layer tool early. If someone on this forum is asking about it from a coaching standpoint, then my guess is that they're coaching players at a level which would benefit more from 'Center Midfield' rather than a number they have to translate. If they're going to be used, then they better be with players who understand what Center Midfield means without blinking..

Of course, I never liked new math either.

8. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I think it depends on the individual. At rec U8 it's too early, but a competitive U8 that say watches a lot of soccer and is really into it, they are probably already picking up the numbers from hearing it on TV or fifa and stuff. Like, they probably know a 9 is a striker. But maybe they don't know exactly a 6/8/10.

But yeah for most U8's it's probably too soon.

For our indoor U8 I just say defender, midfielder, striker... or I'll ask "do you like to play offense or defense?"
    I think at the teens and above the numbers are handy because they indicate the function - so a 10 is a playmaker or offensive midfielder.... a 6 is a holding midfielder or defensive midfielder. I find myself using numbers more because it's easier to say.
    But sometimes I also use "sweeper" and "stopper" and even in high level clubs I hear these terms too. So it's kind of a mixed bag and it may even vary game to game depending on the formation.

9. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Do yourself, the kids, and whoever coaches them later a favor. Defender is something everybody is when the team doesn't have the ball. Tell them they are a back. Fullback, centerback, leftback, rightback, doesn't matter. Just like attacking is something everybody does when the team has the ball - backs, mids, strikers, wings etc....

davidjd and stphnsn repped this.
  10. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Hmm... interesting idea... I might take components of it but probably not the whole thing. First off, at U8 indoor possession changes hands about every 2 seconds. It's easier to just say "get the ball" when you don't have it (and when the ball is near you). You have to keep the language simple.
    If I say everyone is a defender then they'll all think it's ok to follow the ball and I don't want that. I want at least one defender to stay back on defense and one forward to stay up. The forward can defend from the front, sure.

11. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012

If you watch games on youtube or when usys/usclub streams nationals, possession in US u18 outdoor changes hands about every 2 seconds also :)

I'm assuming u8 is USSF PDI 4v4 no keepers to puggs. instead of telling a kid to always stay back/always be up, tell them all we need to make a diamond. That will give you a kid always at the back.

If it's 5+gk, even there, I'd go with we want to be in a plus sign/cross when we have the ball in the other team's half if you aren't rolling a 1-3-1 out of the gate.

Best of luck

NewDadaCoach repped this.