"FEVER PITCH" U.S. Version

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Jeff L, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It has just been announced that director Shawn LEVY is in talks to make "Fever Pitch", but a U.S. version.
    It is going to be based on baseball, with the Boston Red Sox being the featured team, and how it comes between a guy and his girlfriend.
    Talks with Nick Hornby "et al" are at an early stage.
    Just wondering how close to the book it will stick by seeing that the original film was pretty close.
    I am sure that it will be "interesting", but personally I don't think it will quite "capture the magic".
    Not being a big baseball fan, have the B.R.S. had a "1989 moment" like at Anfield on the 26th May?
    Watch this (or any other) space for further/future developments.

2. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff -

The Red Sox have not won the World Series in 1918. Legend has it that this is due a curse that has haunted the team since the owner of the Sox sold the rights to Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees. The Yankees have gone on to become the greatest franchise in the history of American sport, winning 26 championships in just under 80 years since their first in 1923.

This is not to say the the Red Sox haven't had their moments. They are known to lose gloriously. For example, they had a dramatic come from behind win in the 6th game of the 1975 World Series, only to lose game 7.

The most famous moment is from the 1986 World Series. The Red Sox were playing the NY Mets, and had a 3 games to 2 advantage in the best of 7 tournament. With two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Red Sox first baseman Bill Buckner allowed a routine ground ball roll through his legs, allowing the Mets to tie the game, and eventually go on to win. The Mets then won game 7, and the Curse of the Bambino remained intact.

While Arsenal have had some glorious losses in their history, they have at least won several championships. I'd be curious to see how the filmmakers resolve the fact that the Red Sox continue to extend the suffering of New Englanders to this day.

3. Grateful Gooner

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EDIT - That first sentence should have read "...since 1918."

4. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Not to be petty but the Buckner play occurred when the game was tied and was the game winner. The game was tied on a wild pitch thrown earlier in the Mookie Wilson at bat.

5. boice19

boice19 New Member

Fever Pitch US Baseball

I hope this does not happen. I own a copy of Fever Pitch UK which I had converted. I have shown it to many non soccer fans and they enjoyed the movie. I think what makes the movie is that the Paul (Main Character) actually remembers being alive the last time Arsenal took the league. I cannot stand baseball anymore. The original movie is a classic. Even non Arsenal fans would agree. I just think making this movie is a mistake and does not carry the same passion as soccer (football) no matter the sport. People in this country are torn between 4 major sports. In Britain soccer is king. There is no sport equal to the passion soccer fans have for their teams.

6. Grateful Gooner

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the assist! I was going of the top of my head, and couldn't remember all of the details.

7. rifkin

rifkin Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Fever Pitch US Baseball

I disagree with this statement wholeheartedly. Maybe not one sport throughout the US, but regionally there are groups that do. I've never lived in Boston so I can't comment on how people feel about their Red Sox, but in North Carolina people love their college basketball. When UNC won the National Championship in 1982 there were plenty of 'Pauls' on Franklin Street that night.

8. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boo, hiss, snarl.

David and Dave give this two thumbs down.

9. rcjsd

rcjsd New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Norwalk, CT
    From what I heard the movie was going to revolve around that sixth game of the 1975 World Series... my guess is this will be a pathetic imitation of the UK original. The only other option would be making up a big Sox win, since there haven't been any lately...

-JD

10. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Any association between Arsenal and the (Commie, devil-woshipping, losing, choking-b@stard) Boston Red Sox will be thoroughly disavowed by this office.

-G. Rex

11. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This curse stuff is great. It's like one that I know of in Ireland. My mother's county, Co. Clare, had not won an All-Irleand Hurling championship since 1913 (I think - it was about 80 years anyway). The story goes that a woman named Biddy Earley cursed the team and said that they would never win another championship until all the players were bachelors. The first team to consist entirely of unmarried men was in 1995 and they went on to win the championship and then again a couple of years later. The Red Sox one sounds like there's no way to break it though.

12. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    What he said.

13. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, at the other North London club...