Fergie's Dream Dinner Table

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by TomClare, Jun 4, 2007.

1. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What do you mean by this???

2. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    You're kidding right????

3. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's Indian, from his name, so I guess he's a bit offended. I'm Indian as well, and while I can take a joke some may not be able to.

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, no. You may not like this but I have to confess. While he was here in NYC when he pulled that stunt where he locked himself in a casket about eight to ten feet deep in Lincoln Plaza, I sneaked in there and took a leak right onto his see-through shielding. To my surprise; I wasn't the only one.

5. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    Here comes the PC Brigade...

6. llcc

llcc Member

Jul 15, 2002
    san diego
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Living
    Robin Williams - one of the fastest comic minds, would keep the table loose
    Burt Rutan - aerospace engineer
    Paul MacCready - living legend, sailplane champion, efficient aviation pioneer
    Scott Adams - for the blogs
    Paul Scholes - for the tackles

Past
    Einstein
    Richard Feynman
    Da Vinci
    Carl Sagan
    Jesse Livermore

7. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. James Joyce - Greatest writer the English language has ever known, for my money. I would just like to pick his brain on all sorts of things literature related, especially his style. The Irish are also just flat out interesting to listen to, though alcohol would be required.

2. Mikhail Bulgakov - Wrote one of my favorite novels, so falls along some of the same lines as Joyce. He was also basically blackballed, for lack of a better word, during Stalin's reign, though unlike other writers that were just imprisoned or killed, good old Joe Red seemed to prefer just driving Bulgakov crazy. He would just be an all-around interesting guy.

3. Bob Dylan - My favorite musical artist. I would particularly like to know what happened to him after that motorcycle crash and what he thought of all the jackasses that booed him.

4. Stanley Kubrick - Probably my favorite director, though I'm not into film enough to make a definite claim about his greatness. I really like the odd-ball way he lived his life compared to other big time Hollywood stars by basically going into hiding so he could live a private life. I would also like to pick his mind about his obsession to perfection and detail.

5. William Shakespeare - On top of the obvious literary stuff to talk about, I would like to see he and Joyce go back and forth over who is the better manipulator of English. I know Joyce wouldn't back down from such an argument.

I didn't invite any women because I figured I wouldn't want to waste my time attempting to get laid when I could have this amazing dinner.

I also wanted to invite people from a similar field so the conversation would be more engrossing. I thought about various sports, military, and political figures, but I went with the all art crowd because I would enjoy it more.

8. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Here's the thing..I was serious about having Gandhi there.. The freakin guy was key to throwing the British out of India and he never lifted a weapon.. That's impressive and someone who would add alot to a conversation..

I have to say anyone who would be offended by my quip deserves to ride on a plane with the TB patient....:cool:

9. barthez4

barthez4 Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Very hard list when there's only five...
    -------
    Frank Lloyd Wright - Brilliant, extravagant, an amazing eye in life. I'd also ask him to build me a house or twenty. "Fallingwater" is, in my opinion, the most beautiful piece of visual art ever created.

Hunter S. Thompson - Hidden social commentary in a pill. Or a line, or a joint, or a blotter...

ONE OF: Jerry Seinfeld, Robin Williams, Ellen Degeneres - Three of the most insightful minds in comedy. No shortage of laughs with any one of these three at the table, that's for sure.

And of course, the two men who are football for me:

Sir Alex Ferguson - What is there to say?
    Royston Keane - My favorite footballer and perhaps person of all time. His name, along with Fergie's, will be on the list every single time I make it.
    -------
    Not the most worldly or civil of tables by any means, but a group of people who I find to be brilliant in their own ways.

Other mentions (if people are sick, or managing their club on that given day...)

Abraham Lincoln - Always my favorite president when I was younger. If not for him we could be seeing a completely different America.
    Walter Disney - Founder of the happiest place in the world.
    Bobby Orr - Hockey great, and a classy person.
    Stu Ungar - Poker genius, unfortunately he couldn't manage his own life.
    Muhammad Ali - See Fergie's explanation, plus I love boxing.
    George Best - ...
    Eric Cantona - ...
    Dave Matthews - Among my favorite musicians, and an interesting person. He'd have the weed, incase Mr. Thompson ran out.
    Scotty Bowman - See Fergie's explanation of Lombardi.
    Michael Jordan - Dominant, dominant, dominant.

I could go on and on...

10. Red 11

Red 11 Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Francis Albert Sinatra
    SAF
    George Best
    Ronald Reagan
    Don Cherry (from "Hockey Night In Canada")

11. barthez4

barthez4 Member

Apr 1, 2005
    "KIDS! Keep your HEAD UP when you skate through the CENTER!"

12. Radbennie

Radbennie Member

Dec 30, 2005
    New Zealand
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1.Mandela- He set us free :D
    2.SAF- He has to be there, he is a legend of a manager.
    3.Michael Jackson- He has to be there for the beats.
    4.2 Pac- The west coast, lyrical and poetic legend
    5.Jessica Alba- she needs a good %$@#$!!

Hey I was just thinking we should have a thread to post each other photos. I never knew sdotsom was Indian and wouldv never know :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to know who we talking to.

13. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    He's on during the 2nd intermission for the NBC broadcast in the states. I cannot wait. It makes me very jealous of my family on the border that they get both US broadcasts and Canadian ones.

14. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Just so you know 2Pac was actually a New Yorker, it wasn't til after he was shot that he went out west, hooked up with Death Row and became a "West Coast Gangsta"...

15. Radbennie

Radbennie Member

Dec 30, 2005
    New Zealand
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know bro, Thats the way he rolled tho ;)!

16. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Beckham
    SAF
    Benayoun
    Ali
    Gisel (is that how u spell her name)

17. Red 11

Red 11 Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gisele

18. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Interesting topic - so many possibilities! Do you go for the themed approach like Zinn did, do you go for five people thrown together at random, do you go living, historical? Fun times. As of today, I'd go for:

1. Arthur Jensen - a psychologist that a lot of you mightn't have heard of. Contrary to some pretty severe negative publicity in the media (over 40 years), everything that I've read by and about him suggests that despite his controversial views, he's a man of courage, humility, and above all else deep intellectual honesty. Even those of his peers who disagree with his beliefs acknowledge him as being a model scientist. He'd be fascinating to talk to.

2. Hank McCoy (Beast) - he's not real? Who cares, he's class! A warrior, a statesman, a philosopher, a scientist, a politician, an athlete, an aesthete.

3. Socrates - all my guests will be expected to justify themselves to the most annoyingly Socratic practitioner of the Socratic Method. The original devil's advocate.

4. Adolf Hitler - see #3. I'm curious to know what went on in his head. A brilliant leader with absolutely appalling beliefs.

5. Ian Paisley - as long as he promises to behave himself and ditch the rhetoric.

Light relief - John Cleese. Genius.

Invited to the next dinner - Patrick Kavanagh. Along with Frost and Plath, my favourite poet, and as far as I'm concerned the cream of the Irish crop. Underappreciated while he was alive, he misses out here because he was a grumpy bastard and I think there'd be enough sparks flying over this table.

Of my seven choices: one is fictional, three are dead, and three are 70+ years old. I'm an old man in a young man's body.

19. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No I just wanted to ask you what you meant by it.

I never accused you of racism.

20. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I respect you for the comment, I never accused for racism, just wanted to know what you meant by it, i mean i jus dint knw wa u ment :confused:

21. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you who don't know, Gandhi regularly went on hunger strikes as a means of non-violent protest in order to bring about desired changes. Obviously someone on a hunger strike would not eat much. There is nothing offensive about Jayro's comments. He could have just as easily listed Mary-Kate Olsen as a guest and made the same joke.

22. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The only person who would be offended by a dig on Mary Kate Olsen is a Mary Kate Olsen fan. Big difference TBH.

23. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I never said it was offensive. People thought I was thinking it was racist because of my user name.

Sorry for any inconvinience!!! :D

24. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you saying that it is offensive to make a joke about Gandhi not wanting much to eat? What about talking about him walking around in a diaper? Can we mention Bapu testing his self control by sleeping in the same bed as women other than his wife? Where is the line?

25. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Whatever! I don't find it offensive but I can see why someone might be offended.