Fergie's Dream Dinner Table

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by TomClare, Jun 4, 2007.

1. TomClare

TomClare Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    MY DREAM DINNER TABLE

MANCHESTER UNITED EXCLUSIVE THE BOSS AS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE

04/06/2007

SIR ALEX FERGUSON has revealed his five ideal dinner party guests - the men who have inspired and influenced the Manchester United boss during his glittering career.

1. VINCENT LOMBARDI:
    Fergie: "He used to coach the Green Bay Packers. They'd never won a sausage in their lives until he came along. They're based just north of Chicago, and it's so cold even the birds don't whistle. He went up there and won two Super Bowls. That place has a population of about 20,000. Incredible. When I was reading his book, When Pride Still Mattered, I thought 'I'm reading about myself here'. All the things he did, in terms of obsession, preparation, detail and so on, was what I'd done."

2. NELSON MANDELA:
    Fergie: "I've met him three times and found him fascinating company, because you've got to think 'this is history'. He broke a racial barrier that no-one thought could ever happen. The first time I met him was in 1993, when we'd just won the league. The next time was in Monte Carlo, when we won the award for team of the year. When he made his speech that night, the hairs on the back of my neck were standing on end. And I met him last summer on our pre-season tour of South Africa."

3. DENIS LAW:
    Fergie: "Denis was my hero. When I was a player, I tried to copy him. The way he wore his sleeves, the way he wiped his nose, everything. To me, Denis epitomised everything a Scotsman was. One, he could start a row in an empty house and fight his shadow. Two, he loved chasing lost causes. To me he represented what a real Scotsman was."

4. JOCK STEIN:
    Fergie: "I worked with Jock two years prior to him dying and I found that time absolutely riveting. I was a young manager and would quiz him about this and that. He was such a modest man and would never take any praise for himself. We'd be talking until 3am and I'd be saying to Jock, 'I've got to get to my bed, I've got a game in the morning'. He'd say: 'Don't worry son, you'll get a nap in the afternoon'. A remarkable man."

5. MUHAMMAD ALI:
    Fergie: "He was the greatest sportsman of all time. I met him briefly, once. What he did about not joining the army was not about a refusal to fight for America, it was a refusal to fight against people he didn't know. He said: 'I don't even know these Vietnamese, why am I going to fight people I don't know?' It made him unpopular, but when the effect of Vietnam really took shape, I don't think many people doubted his motives. It was a big stand for a young man. It showed great courage, quite aside from his boxing skills."

Now - what would your's be?

2. TomClare

TomClare Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mine would be:

Duncan Edwards
    Steve Biko
    John F. Kennedy
    Christiaan Barnard
    Neil Armstrong

3. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Dark Savante (if his mother says OK)
    2. Sir Alex Ferguson
    3. Penelope Cruz
    4. Bruce Springsteen
    5. Jesus of Nazareth, but if he's busy then Hugh Hefner

4. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Steve Biko - Peaceful anti-Apartheid campaigner, murdered by police. "The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed"

Dedan Kimathi - A leader of the Kenyan independence fighters, Mau Mau, convicted and murdered by the British rule. "We'd rather die on our feet than live on our knees"

Muhammad Ali - SAF said it all.

Nelson Mandela - SAF said it all.

Ryan Giggs - My childhood idol, for no other reason than that he mastered the one thing I have the biggest passion for, and that he did it at the one institution I have most love and pride for, Manchester United.

5. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This list would probably change for me over time but at the moment it's like this:

1. Eric Cantona - He was my introduction to Manchester United and represented everything I came to love about the club and football. He's an artist on and off the pitch, a quiet and humble man who has plenty on his mind - the first footballer and philosopher I've come to know. He'd bring the wine and cheese.

2. Alfred Hitchcock - It's between him and Kubrick, but I think he'll eventually have more to say and teach me. He's a fascinating man and still the only film director to successfully blend the classic Hollywood picture with the "art film".

3. Jimi Hendrix - It's ********ing Jimi Hendrix maaaan! He'd bring the dope.

4. Adolf Hitler - If I have to pick one historical figure. Stigma aside, he was a genius AND a nutcase and would make for some interesting debates with Jimi. (Lenin will be at the next dinner)

5. Alan Moore - He's my favorite graphic novelists and I've always found his private yet reclusive life fascinating.

6. United Pumps

United Pumps New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    come from?
    1. Pete Townshend
    2. Roger Daltrey
    3. John Entwistle
    4. Keith Moon
    5. George Best

Alcohol would need to be supplied by the gallon.

7. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1. Eric Cantona
    2. Ryan Giggs
    3. Cam'ron
    4. Roger Federer
    5. Muhammad Ali

:D

8. CescMate

CescMate New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Che Guevara
    Mandela
    Richard Dawkins
    Keano (obligatory reference and some fireworks)
    John Lennon

9. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1. SAF - Facinating football insight
    2. Peter Cook - He'd be hilarious
    3. Cleopatra - I heard she was easy (probably got some interesting things to say aswell)
    4. Richard pryor - Also Hilarious (more laughter the better)
    5. Rasputin the mad monk - He crazy

10. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

whoa, who are your backups, John Bonham, Layne Staley and the guy in the pool from Decline of the Western Civilization II?

Also, I'm appauled at no Jerry Fallwell mentions.

11. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Surpised no one's mention Matt Busby, would probably be one of mine.

12. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    1. Keano
    2. SAF
    3. John Lennon
    4. Paul McCartney
    5. Allessandra Ambrosio

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh yea, i forgot to mention Adriana Lima, but she'll be underneath the dining table.

14. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    1)Tupac Shakur
    2)Sir Alex Ferguson
    3)Notorious BIG
    4)Osama Bin Laden
    5)Beyonce(we'd all run the train on her afterwards)

15. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    David Blaine
    Princess Diana
    Mikhail Gorbachev
    Michael Jordan
    Elvis

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Really?

17. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Michael Jordan
    Gandhi
    Solskjaer
    Sir Edmund Hilary
    Bruce Lee

18. biro

biro Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Asks the man who picked Hitler...!:eek:

19. mhtwins113

mhtwins113 Member

May 9, 2005
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronald Reagan
    Tiger Woods
    John F. Kennedy
    Jerry West
    Ryan Giggs

20. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea but dude....David Blaine? Why not Chris Angel, Copperfield, or that other hack?

21. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Bill Clinton- Genius extremely motivated and persuasive.
    Bill Gates- Richest man in the world.
    Jim Morrison- He was brilliant, psychotic, and influential all rolled into 1.
    Wilt Chamberlain- He banged 20,000 women need I say more.
    Gandhi- He'd cost nothing to feed.:p

22. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    The other ones are hacks, I know that, but this guy, besides his street magic stuff and some ridiculous tricks (like ripping his heart out) has done some really impressive things - in an ice box for 60 hours, standing for 2 days on top of a pillar, underwater for a week... You can't fake that.

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In other words, you admire his "endurance". That's understandable.

24. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Roy Keane - Goes without saying really.

Harry Truman - One of the more underrated Presidents, imo. Had to make a terrifying decision to drop the bomb on Japan. Perhaps the most important (and/or controversial) decision in the 20th century. Would very much like to pick his brain.

Erwin Rommel - The "Desert Fox." His cooperation with the plot to kill Hitler cost him his life. Unfortunate for him, but good for the Allies, as it might have been what cost Germany the War. To hear him discuss that event and his forced suicide would be unreal, not to mention hear his opinion on current military situations. I've never been in the service, but I've always admired the great commanders of all time, which Rommel certainly was, and what my next guest was as well.

Tecumsah Sherman - Along with Ulysses Grant, promoted the "Total War" Union campaign during the Civil War. Always been a keen admirer of that strategy for the Civil War. Has a rep as being very blunt and I would love to hear his opinions on the world currently, as with Rommel. I imagine those two could have some very interesting conversation.

Thom Yorke - Radiohead are my favorite band of all time, and Yorke is a straight forward, blunt character that would be a delight at a dinner party. He would definitely have some opinions on current events and he is quite intelligent so I would like to hear him interracting with the other guests.

After dinner, I can easily see Truman, Rommel, Yorke and myself retreating to the smoking room for cigars and brandy while Sherman and Keano go to the basement to bare knuckle fight each other. :D

25. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    You wanted to say pathetic, didn't ya?