Fergie's Best Ever Side

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by 433tom, Nov 12, 2007.

1. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Fergie is hailing the current squad as the best he has had at United.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_2877195,00.html

A statement sure to spur some debate. Many will argue they have to prove it by winning trophys. But when you look at this team on paper and consider the quick development of our summer signings, its easy to see why Fergie believes this may be the most talented group of players he has had at United.

2. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    And here is another article, comparing the current Unted trio of Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez to Charlton, Law, and Best. Which should spur even greater debate than the article at the top of the thread. Of course in this article, he is pointing to the future. But I think the fact that he can even contemplate making such a comparision is a bit exciting :)

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_2875187,00.html

3. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I pretty much agree with the quote in the article where he says:

There's certainly a fair bit of strength in depth all over the pitch with only arguably one striker needed/desired to be stacked in all positions.

Strongest team/starting XI though? I'd favour '99.

4. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd go with 99 as well. We are weak up front, whether we plan on addressing it or not. The "interchangeability" of those attackers means that it isn't as glaring, but it's still a fact. It's still a close 2nd to 99 though.

5. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The current squad has depth, and pace which is something the side of 99 didn't have. We had some depth with Berg backing up our defence and Butt and Phil Neville able to back us up across the midfield. Solskjaer and Sheringham provided ideal back up in attack. It had a number of leaders on the pitch as well, and iconic ones at that. Personalities don't come any bigger than Schmeichel, Keane and Stam who lead from the front in every game. Sheringham had an experienced head on him and Beckham and Neville were always players who were ready and willing to shoulder responsibility if it was thrust upon them.

However, the only players with pace in that side were Giggs and Blomqvist. Yorke and Cole were ok on the turn but not like what we have now with Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Giggs, Nani and Saha all able to take on and beat a man.

In midfield we have depth which I've never seen before with Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Carrick, Hargreaves, Nani, Anderson and Fletcher all able to play against, and compete against the best in the business. In defence we are high on numbers with Neville, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Silvestre, Evra, Simson, Evans and Pique all able to come in and do a job. Then we have the jack-of-all-trades himself John O'Shea. Tevez, Rooney and Saha provide skill which only Yorke had at the time in 1999.

The promise and potential is there, but to be judged properly, they have win something. Infact, they have to win alot in order to justify this kind of potential. They are all very young but the world is their oyster this season so far. The character of the players is going to be important and for that I think Neville, Ferdinand, Hargreaves, Ronaldo and Rooney will be asked to lead this team to where ever is gets to. However, Vidic and Anderson are all too willing to take responsibility for the ball when things get tough...

6. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    The players are more faster, fitter and stronger than in the past so I have to say that they are a better team than what he had in 99.

The real question is: Are they as good in the current atmosphere as the 99 team was compared with its competitors?

7. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's the golden question, isn't it? Because they might be "as good" but if the rest of the competition is just as good then nothing is certain, is it?

I'll never forget the team of 1999, but I think I speak for all on here when I say that I toally hope that this years squad eclipses what they achieved 9 year ago....

8. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Perhaps we are a #9 away from his greatest ever side?

I think he speaks in terms of potential. We're already looking strong and to think that some of our best players aren't even at the peak age yet is a frightening prospect. Of course, like with every great team it'll be measured in terms of its success and I think it's a bit premature to make such a claim before they even won a major trophy (or is last season's domestic title considered trophy#1 for this new team?)

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd compare last year's team a bit more to the 92-93 side that finally came together to get the title by putting together wily veterans and a few younger players.

This year's team might be a bit more youth-focused, perhaps like the 95-96 side, which had a lot of new faces. Of course I'd say this team is taking less time to come together.

Wouldn't quite compare this team to 98-99, since we're lacking in depth at forward, not to mention that there isn't just a single midfield for all seasons. Of course at the same time, we do have several players who could be considered among the best in the world at their positions, and a midfield that is more than capable of contributing goals. So... maybe we're somewhere in between that 95-96 team and the 98-99 one.

10. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Fergie didn't say anything at all about this being his 'best ever side' he even said he doesn't know what his best xi is. He said it's his best ever squad and I'd have to say it is by some distance.

We literally have two xi's who could play each other and not be sure who would win if combined correctly such is the wealth of talent. You could even have a subs bench! after the 22.

Consider:

3 keepers, two of whom are vying for VDS spot as successor.
    10 defenders! Rio, Gaz, Wes, Vidic, Evra, Silvestre, Pique, O'Shea, Simpson, Evans 2 of whom haven't even been any great part of this season, if at all in G.Neville's case - and he's considered our best RB!
    5! interchangable midfielders: Scholes, Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves, Fletcher
    4! interchangable wide men: Ronaldo, Giggs, Nani, Park, plus Eagles as surplus.
    3 interchangable forwards. The only area we are weak in.

That's ridiculous and I'm probably missing some! There's no doubt whatsoever that that's the best squad he's ever had. In '99 it was 4 great strikers and Nicky Butt, after that there was quite a drop off from starter to bench-man across the board. In this squad, we don't even have a clue who our best xi is because they haven't all been fit or consistently played to find out!

How many times have we even played a clear starting xi this season? Much opposed to any other squad Fergie has had, where you could name the starting xi without a pause for thought.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    -------------------Saha
    ------------Tevez
    Giggs------------------------------Nani
    -----------Hargy----Scholes
    Silvestre--------------------------Neville
    ------------Vidic------Pique
    ----------------Koozy

-----------------Rooney
    Ronaldo---------Anderson-----------Park
    -----------Fletcher---Carrick
    Evra------------------------------Simpson
    -----------Brown----Ferdinand
    ----------------VDS

That's 2 XI's that I think would stand a chance to finish in the top4.

Subs like O'Shea, Evans and Eagles available...

12. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    I would back that second team to edge it...

13. tjbirdsfan

tjbirdsfan Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Just wait, everybody is talking about how good the Gunners are going to be in the future (which is true) but I think if we can hold everyone together we will be the team to beat for some time. It is hard to image but Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Nani, Anderson, all have thier best years ahead of them. It is going to be sick when they are all about 27, 28 when they still have youth and by then have gained alot of experience how good this team can be. I saw it this weekend that if he wants to and his mind is in the right place Cristiano can be one of the best ever. Rooney just turned 22, he has so many good year ahead of him. This side might not be his best ever yet, but I believe that they most certainly will be when its all said and done.

14. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Actually he said. "Its the strongest side I ever had". The depth and youth of this side is startling when you think about it. As you so rightly put it "ridiculous".

Now having said that. I do believe that he feels he has or is on the verge of building what he thinks will be his best ever side. How they live up to their potential and perform over the course of the next few years will be the final determination.

15. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
  16. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I saw the interview repeatedly yesterday on MUTV. He was asked a loaded question and side-stepped it comfortably. He definitely did not infer that this was his 'greatest side' he said it's his strongest squad and to become great they have to prove themselves.

A side that's been together for a matter of months and hasn't even got a settled xi yet, let alone won any trophies can't be considered the best in any case. We have whole seasons and bodies of work from the truly great sides to chastise them from given the angle.

I do think you're right saying he thinks this lot will be his best though. He's made a lot of forthright, un-Fergie like comments about them that have thrown out his usual guile with the press pack, which I found surprising from him.