Fergie Eyes European Glory

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by 433tom, Oct 29, 2006.

1. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
  2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    It would be nice to see Giggs, Scholes, Neville win it before they go as well. Especially Scholes, since he was suspended from the last final in 99.

3. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Obviously this would be the chance to do it, as we've been playing some of our best football in years. However we haven't faced any especially stiff Euro competition quite yet. With all due respect to Benfica and Celtic, they aren't Barcelona or Milan. The signs are good, with Barca stumbling against Chelsea, Milan seemingly not being the offensive force they were, etc. But there is still teams like Chelsea and Arsenal who we could face in the later rounds. An all English final would not be out of the question, and if we play like we do I'd expect at least the semifinals for this team. But winning it all is a large proposition.

4. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I honestly think the only competition for the CL that comes close to United so far this year happens to be within group A.

Avoid all of them to the final and you have a chance at winning:D

5. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    To win this, we'd have to keep the ball a lot better than how we have been. The attacking style is attractive, but when teams like Milan, Barca, even Madrid get the ball, you wont get it back, and ofcourse you will be chasing and wasting energy. We should be able to sap the life out of a team like that if needed.

I'd rather win the CL than anything else.

6. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Screw European glory. Chasing after it is what caused our relative decline in the first place :mad:.

The CL is a joke. Sure, it's great when teams like Barca from last year win it. It's laughable when teams like Liverpool from two years ago win it. Put forth a good enough team to get to the quarters every year and get lucky once in a while. Only strategy worth bothering with...

7. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    I really would like to win Europe, i feel like this is Chelsea's year and i really want to win it for ourselves, how great would a Man Utd Chelsea final be?

I really think this is important, and im not going to say its more important then the league, but its certainly right up there.

8. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    I really do not believe that this is Chelsea's year. With their rash of injuries (especially Cech), I believe it will be their downfall in the latter stages.

Honestly, with so many teams playing so badly (Barca, Real, AC and Inter Milan), I think we have a good chance of putting it away. Their are teams I fear on paper, but watching the play in CL, I believe Fergie can get what he desires.

9. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm not saying we will or can win the CL this year... But if we did do you know how much that would piss Mourinho off....

10. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We should focus on competing with Chelsea for now, regaining our consistency domestically is the key to future success. While the CL isn't a priority now, It's insane, ridiculous, and beyond me if we wouldn't take it seriously. We have to make our mark not only in England but in Europe as well. It's in our tradition ever since Matt Busby led his babes and almost conquered Europe. The league willalways be most important but the CL is certainly up there, how else is this team to be taken seriously worldwide?

11. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Ahh the heck with it. We might as well win the Treble. :)

12. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Tell me tell me tell me...

13. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar

LETS JUST DO THAT!!! i really like that idea...

14. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What the ********'s wrong with you guys.. give up our Carling Cup just like that. Have you no ambition.. no pride?

:D

15. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Tell that to Alex Ferguson and all the Manchester United players. The CL has been, and probably always will be at the top of Fergie's list. Considering how football is a business now a days isnt the overall pay out more rewarding? The prestige of proving yourself against the best teams, is also another factor for someone like Fergie.

16. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    fine fine...let's go go for the quadruple.

17. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006