Fenerbahce v United - CL - 12/8 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Kavster

Kavster New Member

May 16, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    Are they playing the game online anywhere? I can only find CL football on Radio 5 Live, and theyre playing Liverpool vs Olympiakos.

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nilmar puts Lyon up 2-0

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Score from other game:
    [RESULT]Lyon 2 Sparta 0
    (Essien 7,Nilmar 19)
    [/RESULT]

4. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
  5. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sounds like Miller is doing well...

6. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Oh well - sucks to lose but it's good to let the young uns see what it's like to play a UEFA CL match in Turkey. That's just invaluable experience for kids like Spector, Eagles and such...

7. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So the same team that beats Arse last week loses 3-0 to Fenerbache?
    Yikes

So we'll be playing either Monaco, Bayer Leverkusen, Juventus, Inter or AC Milan in the next round.

8. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    If United had won the group, the choices would have been Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, PSV, Barcelona, Werder Bremen, or Porto. I don't think United lost much by finishing second.

9. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Fergie is a fox sly ;)

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
  11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bit disappointing that the supposed future of our club couldn't put up much of a fight, even if it was an away game in the CL. You'd think these guys would want to prove they have what it takes to start a meaningful game. Seems like we've got some work to do with the kids.

12. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Wha??? I'd rather fight against all of those than Juventus or Milan this season. Not finishing 1st did make a difference, I thought - there's a huge difference in quality b/w the teams we face and the teams the 1st place finisher faces. Juve/Milan have to be considered favorites to win the CL this year - putting yourself in position to face them in the round of 16 is just asking for trouble.

Oh well - having said that, i still think he did the right thing by fielding the kiddies. You can't play the superstars every game and, when you've already qualified, you take that time to blood the kids.

13. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    and avoid any potential injuries ;)

14. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    bit crap tho apart from 10 mins of Pique. Bellion 10 1/2 stone lol!!

15. triplelake

triplelake New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    I am really disappointed with the results today.
    The team that SAF fielded should be good enough to get a draw against Fener. We have Brown, O'Shea, P. Neville and Fortune as back 4. Not so long ago, in fact last season, we'd have been satisfied to field them in the premiership. We also have 2 potential Keane replacement in Fletcher and DjDj in the lineup. This should be a pretty strong defensive team.
    It's true that we are a bit weak in terms of attack as no one in that team has the eye for a killer pass. But it's just very disappointing to concede 3 goals.
    SAF gave Howard and the back 4 a chance in this game to re-claim a first team spot, but they didn't take it well. Howard didn't make any mistakes today but he didn't organise the defense well enough either. I don't think we'll see them again this season in our important matches unless we are heavily hit by injuries.

16. triplelake

triplelake New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Well, at least we successfully avoided Real Madrid, which seems to be feared the most by SAF :)

17. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see the game?

18. delmundo

delmundo Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They did to us what we did to them. We let them rock their stadium as their eleven piled it on a little as our guys succumed to the intence pressure of a wound up hostile environment and a very determined opposition.

We gave them our reserves and they punished us for it. They jammed it down our throats and sang about it.

From what I heard on the radio we had chances before they scored and even chances to go even, but as it goes this season our finishing was poor.
    Lets not name names, lets just say we need a killer instinct that is far more ruthless and more determined to destroy.
    Lets not set each other up, lets annihilate our opponent.

Fullham next.

19. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    Juve and Milan are playing very well, but I think Barca is just as tough. And United have had problems when they have played Madrid, particularly with Raul. I just don't see a huge difference between the groups.

Personally, I'm hoping for Inter. They're 3-0 in Serie A this year, with 11 draws! And there's this midfielder named Veron who I think Keano will take care of nicely. :)

20. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    God - I just hope we don't draw Madrid... I'll never be able to forget Ronalso getting a hat trick at OT.

21. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except this time, it will be our Ronaldo. :cool:

22. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given our history, I don't think SAF would have much of a problem facing Juve. Not saying it'll be easy, just that we've faced them and beaten them even when they're supposed to be very strong. As for Milan, seems like beating them this season boils down to taking Shevchenko out of the equation. Not necessarily an easy task, but certainly doable for us.

At some point you have to bite the bullet and say, "We play whomever we draw, and if we're truly the best team in Europe we should be able to beat anyone over a two-legged tie."

23. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    My thoughts exactly. Last year Utd topped their group and drew the eventual winners of the CL. Giving most of the first team a rest and getting the reserves the experience of playing in a hostile environment makes more sense to me than worrying about the draw, which is rigged by the Pentaverate anyways ;)

24. manc_sean

manc_sean Red Card

Aug 27, 2004
    Manchester
    I've just got back. The atmosphere was quite crap all in all. They started off well, but died. You have to remember the game kicked off at 9:45 over there so alot of our lot were heavily 'sedated'. Their lot were doing the slitting throat throat action again, but when the guy who's doing it is wearing a jesters hat you just cant take him seriously.

As for the team, i'm not arsed if he doesnt play the first teamers, altho i'd prefer he played the youth, rather than the dead wood & a few first teamers. The fact being that richardson, djembo, bellion, miller, o'shea will never make it at old trafford. Why not start pique, spector, jones, rossi, eagles, etc? But all in all, not bothered. At least I was a multi-millionaire for a few days.

25. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    It's true. We have played well against Juve in recent years and dominated Milan in NY this year until Schevchenko's dive and subsequent goal off the free kick in the waning moments.

And United do have to have the attitude that if they play well, they can beat anyone, which is true. Having said that, if there were one team I could pick to avoid in the next round, it would be Barca. They have the type of talent - quick, skilled mids and opportunistic strikers - that matches up well against United.