Fenerbahce v United - CL - 12/8 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final group stage match for us, doesn't really matter that much since we're already through, and Fergie says "We'll rest a few of Saturday's team ... The boys who played in the Carling Cup against Arsenal on Wednesday will get a chance." For those concerned about topping the group (does it matter in the draw?), UEFA.com says "Lyon will finish top only if they beat bottom side AC Sparta Praha and United fail to win at Fenerbahçe SK". It'll be nice to give our guys a rest before next Monday's match against Fulham.

2. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    How much of the Carling cup team will figure in this is the question i think. I'd like to see some of our subs like Smith get a key role though. Even though we are through does not mean we should send a total reserve side either, I'd like us to get some experiance for some of the younger guys and playing time for those not really seeing much action this season. My squad:
    ---------------Howard------------------
    Spector----Brown-----O'Shea---Fortune
    ---------P.Neville----------DJ2
    Fletcher------------------Richardson
    ----------Smith----------Bellion

3. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Move Fletcher back to Neville's spot and put Kleberson in Fletcher's spot and it works for me.

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kleberson is out until after New Years. (ankle)

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We must put more experience than what's been listed so far... and more talent too. It may be important to rest players but we don't need to get thrashed.

I think either Ronaldo or Giggs should start on one of the wings... other than that I'd say what u guys have out there is good... I'd also play Silvestre too, he needs the time on the pitch cuz he still has issues to work out with Howard and defenders dont need to be rested quite as much as the other players.

6. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Alan Smith-what in the world happened to his head during the match this weekend? I just saw the pictures-looked nasty. He looked like he was loopy with a concussion or that he actually had fun getting his head bashed!

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a warrior. A true red legend in the making for us at the moment. There's not much more he could of done for us, except maybe be a bit luckier earlier in the year in front of goal, but it weren't for lack of effort. Well done to our Smithy.

P.S. Gives me an idea. :cool:

BTW, he got sandwiched between two defenders trying to win a header and took an elbow to the noggin. He came back in the match, but the ref made him leave cause of all the blood. They don't make many like that anymore... :D

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. ;)

October 31, 2005:
    "And what are you dressed as, young man?"
    "Oi, I'm Alan Fookin Smith now gimme me ket and bugger off ye old double bagger 'fore I tomtit all ova ye... bloody heifer..."

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go with you and wear a United kit with a Shrek mask on.

10. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I hope you win, as you finishing second would ensure that we can't face you in the next round. And looking at the potential second place teams (and taking out English ones) that leaves Barca (or Milan), Bayern and Real. No offense to Lyon, and I hope I don't end up eating my words, but I'd rather face them than the above sides.

11. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In any case, UEFA will somehow arrange for us to draw Real Madrid even if they have to bend their own rules. ;)

12. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Might scare the regular trick or treaters out there guys! Be careful!

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Not Bayern? ;)

14. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    Don't they fix the draw for this round so that teams from the same nation don't meet? I seem to remember Alex mentioning that when he spoke about it not being important to win the group. I think it applies to the last 16 but not beyond.

15. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    No Smith I don't think. I'd play those kids man, you know Nglulala and Pique, Rossi yea that lot. They're playing that snappy footy we were playing a 'couple a go'.

16. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team (from): Howard, Ricardo, P Neville, Brown, O'Shea, Fortune, Spector, Pique, McShane, Picken, Fletcher, Djemba-Djemba, Miller, Richardson, Ronaldo, Jones, Eagles, Poole, Bellion, Ebanks-Blake.

So, what will happen next:

a) UEFA complain that Manchester United are disgracing the European Cup by fielding a weakened side
    b) Turkish fans bitch whine moan and complain that Manchester United isn't bringing enough stars
    c) We win, top the group, and go on to win the whole darn thing.

Answers on a notepad please.

18. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm thinking that the FA and UEFA will get together so that Man Utd can play Arse yet *again*. The EPL, FA Cup and Carling Cups just aren't enough!

hehe - I know, I know... just kidding.

Oh wait - the Arses haven't *qualified* yet, have they? GO ROSENBURG!!

19. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -------------Howard---------------
    --Spector--PNev--Brown--O'Shea--
    --Miller--Fletcher--Dj2--Richardson--
    ---------Bellion--Ebanks------------

Ronaldo or Eagles can sub in late if we need to.

20. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Ronaldo played as an out and out striker in this one. Partner Miller and Fletcher in the middle (both their natural positions).

Either that or have Ronaldo running the show as the attacking midfielder with Fletcher anchoring the center and Miller out on the right side...

Oh, and put O'Shea and Brown in the middle and have Spector at left back and P Nev at right back. Or try DJ2 at right back...

So many options.... I like qualifying early and getting the kids some time in Europe. :cool:

21. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Howard
    Philly-Brown-O'Shea-Fortune
    ---Miller-DJDJ---
    Ronaldo-Fletcher-Richardson
    Bellion

22. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can just feel the glaring from the Arsenal fans viewing this thread. ;)

Just kidding Gooners, best of luck today.

23. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Speaking of possible challengers for the next stage of the CL, Real Madrid are on ESPN for the 4 time or so :rolleyes: I'd normally just folow a webcast than see them play, but I am rooting for Roma tomorrow. It would be the greatest laugh in some of these forums if Real are elimanted.

If Real, then maybe Arse too. They are without Lauren and Viera i think. Interesting how the potential cast of challengers is still so undecided.

24. van_da_man

van_da_man Member

Aug 4, 2003
    UK
    who is this ebanks fella. havent seen him play yet. what type of player is he? fast? strong? target man??

25. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Not from me - I hope they have some free time on their hands come February 22/23...