Feilhaber

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SamsArmySam, Jul 7, 2012.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked him as a player. Wasn't exactly a 90' guy at the international level but he definitely could provide a spark that most couldn't.

2. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Someone on here used to have that quote of his in their signature, the one from after his golazo against mexico in the Gold Cup.

Something like: "I struck the ball with all my passion to defeat Mexico" or words to that effect.

Anyway, I always like him. I think I remember he was a walk-on in college, that Sigi Schmidt uncovered? Anyway, congrats on a fine career.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    A wonderfully creative player who was pivotal in a some very big games.

Attitude issues and personality conflicts likely prevented his achieving more at the professional and international levels. Aged 30, he put together an MVP-level season with 10 goals and 15 assists from central midfield. What could've been had he a decent work ethos at a younger age.

tomásbernal, MPNumber9 and TimB4Last repped this.
  4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    benny the podcaster certainly exposes why a lot of managers wouldve not liked benny the player, tho the managers that did like him were probably on the whole considerably smarter than the others

Mahtzo1 and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Ah yes! I remember that quote, because I translated the match report from the Mexican press:

"I hit it with my soul, with the desire to score a goal against Mexico. I hit it with all my strength and it went in. I don't think that anybody could have gotten to that ball," said Feilhaber, who plays with Hamburg of Germany.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/mexican-press-reports-post-game-6-25-07.557862/

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is absolutely one of my top 3 favorite national team goals of all time. God, I was so stoked at that moment. Its been awhile since ive been that amped on that goal and the national team. I thought "this is gonna be bradleys and benny's midfield for the next ten years, and thats absolutely not a bad thing". I still kinda wish it had been.

7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, me too. I was still living in Mexico City and watching that game with a bunch of friends (all Mexican). They gave me so much shit throughout the game, and when Benny hit that I just went nuts. After a few minutes I decided I needed to calm it down because, even though they were all friends, I started to get the sense that I might actually get punched. I realize now that I haven't felt so inspired as a USMNT fan since Bob Bradley was coach.

USSoccerNova and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.