Feilhaber

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SamsArmySam, Jul 7, 2012.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a midfield of Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, Jones and Feilhaber (with Altidore up top) isn't defensively strong enough, then Jones or Bradley is the problem.

2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys overrate Feilhaber.

BimmerBenz95 and Ghosting repped this.
  3. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, man, I like Benny, I'd like to see him get more opportunities with the USMNT, but I think it's a stretch to call him a game changer.

4. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was quite literally a game-changer at the 2010 World Cup, entering several games at halftime and helping change the game for the better for the US.

Now, I'm not sure his form is so good right now that he deserves a spot on the US team. Definitely not as a starter. But he could be a useful player off the bench, just like at the WC. On a 23-man roster, sure. On an 18-man roster, less sure. Or a player like him -- offensive midfielder willing to try assertive, risky passes (Feilhaber, Adu, Kljestan, maybe Diskerud at some point).

RevPOWA repped this.
  5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Well, he's definitely capable of playing a game-changing pass. And he's done it multiple times at the international level.

RevPOWA repped this.
  6. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a positive impact on games, but I think I may have a different definition of what constitutes a "game changer." Robbie Rogers has had his moments for the USMNT, too, but I'd never classify him as a game changer. I'm talking about a guy that when you have him on your roster (or you don't because of injury, lack of club form) it materially changes the profile of the team, the team's ability to get a result, and it's not just a guy that is capable of contributing. Everyone on the team should be capable of contributing and creating a positive impact with their minutes. If that player cannot, that player should not be on the roster, full stop.

7. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's better than having Williams or Torres played out of position. Feilhaber won't start, but he can come off the bench.

8. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Benny's range of passing, creativity, vision, and control under pressure are game changing abilities in our pool. If never seen Robbie Rogers play a game where I said to myself, "hey, he made his teammates better," it's more like, "hey, he actually took advantage of his pace."

9. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsy, Donovan, howard, and maybe Michael Bradley are the game changers in the USMNT pool. There are no others at this time. Just guys with potential. Feilhaber is 27 years old (the peak age for a professional athlete). He's been hit and miss his whole career. He has flashes of brilliance, and he's played solidly for the USMNT in spot duty here and there. That's what I would call a journeyman, not a game-changer.

juniorLA repped this.
  10. jimmy2823

jimmy2823 Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i went to the fire game lat knight, and benny looks very good with the ball. it was so cool watching him play.

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    it is also unfortunate for him that the Revs are a semi-pro team in a professional league. Benny is very very good with the ball.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's ripping the Crew apart right now, playing left mid in a 4-4-2.

He really would be perfect in a 4-3-3 with Bradley and Beckerman/Edu/Jones/Williams/Whoever.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  13. jimmy2823

jimmy2823 Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damm crew just came back. i hope benny gets a goal.

14. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    My guess is that Benny's days with the USMNT are over. I sense that JK views him as a specialty player, one that no longer fits in the system. Feilhaber is not only inconsistent, he often fails to put his stamp on the match. And his defensive game is lacking. He certainly has qualities worth mentioning, but he's just too limited for the int'l game.

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I feel like, as of now, either Benny or Zusi should be on mnt rosters and get legit looks to see how they mix in.

16. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    USMNT could have used Benny last night.

soccersubjectively and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    How many times has Feilhaber made the squad in the Klinsmann era?

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hell, after last night lets just throw the Feilhaber-Nguyen-Rowe part of new england's midfield in for now on if we are going for Ole Ole Ole ball.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  19. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe only once. I, too, have always thought there should be a place on the team for him, even as a sub. He has a really good soccer IQ; however, he does have his limitations. But after watching last nights game, I think we could have really used him.

20. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008
    The biggest question for me....has benny's game taken a step back or has he just not taken his game to the next level?

21. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Who knows, he is playing for freaking Heaps/Revolution. You can put Messi there and he will suck.
    Another motivator my ass:
    http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/news/2012/09/love-game

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .........and again tonite.

Zusi aint no Feilhaber, thats for sure.

after entire match sequences like the previous games we have seen......actually hell all through qualifying.....you can see the usefulness in a player like benny.

23. Gooch_Onyewu

Gooch_Onyewu Member

Jan 30, 2008
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilhaber isn't the same player he was in the World Cup.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  24. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benny is getting benched on one of the worse teams in MLS. As other posters have said, he's not the same player he once was. He's in very bad form.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    given the circumstances of him playing on the Revs, all things considered i dont think he has done too bad. any USMNT player would look lousy with the Revs or Chivas USA. And he started again at Houston, so that little 2 game stretch he was benched was just that.

...........which makes Luis Silva all the more impressive with TFC