Feilhaber: Liverpool v. Derby on Sat (9/1) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by TimB4Last, Aug 31, 2007.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The game looks ridiculous, men and boys. Ppool is all backheels and flick ons and nancy fancery. laughing. the blood lust in in them.
    See, this is why you don't try to play with these clubs. Just sew everyone together over the goal...

2. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see the headlines now: "Battering Rams: Liverpool put 6 past struggling Derby." :D

3. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    6-0 Liverpool

my goodness.

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

I like it. You should work for The Sun as a headline writer....repped.

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, this is a top side which is going to be very difficult to crack...

:D

6. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    So both Yanks don't play and they lose 6-0?

Let that be a lesson to you.

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One has to wonder if this might be the most overmatched side in the Prem's history. That's a -12 GD through 5 matches and the transfer window is closed. Tough sailing ahead...

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they could give the Sunderland team from a couple seasons ago a run for their money for least points in the league in a season.

9. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that Sunderland team was slightly unfortunate. They were bad, but not quite as bad as their record. This team's fortunate to have a point from 5 matches, and just got sent packing from the Carling Cup by a club that feels that Andy Welsh could be just the missing piece they need to spark their season.

Did Eddie Johnson know it was going to be this bad (not that the Wizards have set the world on fire lately)?

10. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Credit to Boothroyd. I hammered him for his lack of transfers in last season, but Watford last year played a lot better than Derby this year so far.

Again, if I were Davies...he HAS to trust his young buys like Feilhaber to grow into their roles. He's going to have to take more lumps. Playing vet Championship caliber players are not going to cut it, and those guys are only going to get worse as the season goes on (and injuries linger).

Trust and hope that the young guys blossom. A real long shot, but the only one Davies has...

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vagisil, stat!

Seriously, why are you being such a baby?

12. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Pretty hilarious take by the Sky Sports ratings guy on the match. One Derby player got a 7, and most got 6s.

As if he left went it was 0-0 and never came back...

With the 2 week break coming, plenty of time for Feilhaber to get fit and integrate. If he can't break into this sorry sack of a team, then there is something wrong definently.

13. xTottixCorex

xTottixCorex New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Indiana
    it's not like him breaking into the first team will change matters. this is a HORRIBLE team. anytime Fernando Torres smiles while walking in a goal, there's trouble. and considering the situation at his old team, he made the wrong decision coming to derby.

On the other hand, eddie johnson may be the smartest man in soccer for NOT going.

14. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benny won't be there next week, we're playing Brazil on the 9/09 remember??

Also, why wasn't he in the lineup at least? Noone ever has any information, these British journalists just don't cut it. I mean, in the US we'd already have interviews pregame by locals, and several national outlets detailing all sorts of inane information...but we'd at least no what was going on with injuries.

And this is painful watching Derby. I've now watched 4 games to get a glimpse of my favorite US player...and no bones =(

15. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I'd actually like to see Benny stay at Derby and not fly to the US vs. Brazil, but I'm probably in the minority on that one. I'd like to see Benny use the break to integrate and win a position.

16. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

I agree with you and I think with his injury the folks at Derby might make that stance known.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Liverpool has been the top team in the Prem this year, Derby's been on the other end.

A deserving score ... and Derby didn't get too many reinforcements before the deadline. Plus, it had a few injuries going onto this game.

Oh, well. They'll have to scrape for every point, as was expected.

18. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
  19. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but it will mean minutes versus quality competition. I don't think anybody believes he will make a difference for Derby, but Derby just might be able to make a difference for him, if you take my meaning.

Frankly (and this is no sleight to Eddie Lewis or Derby fans), the reason we have even the remotest interest and the reason people are really only paying attention to Benny is because this situation effects the US national program.

20. xTottixCorex

xTottixCorex New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Indiana
    I agree, but i feel that hamburg is probably laughing/thinking what the hell did we do. van der veert is whining like hell to get out of there and there best replacement is watching as his team get spit on. i know minutes gain experience, but i think hamburg missed out.

i don't think this made sense, but oh well:p

21. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    This is not quite true, I would follow Derby just because they have Americans playing. I still am interested in Blackburn even though Brad has retired from the National program

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on why Lewis didn't even make the bench?

23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You made sense and others have made the same point.

For me,though,it would be more logical to suspect that Benny was looking for the move because he realized he wasn't going to be in the first Hamburg XI even if VdV left.

24. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I would think Benny would see plenty of time this season at Derby (can't hurt them, can he?)

and logging in minutes against Premier League competion can only be beneficial

imagine playing against Costa Rica, Honduras, etc. after Liverpool, Chelski . . . Everton even

25. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who?

Oh, the other American on the team.

No idea.