Feilhaber leaves AGF Aarhus for MLS(5) [R]: Come give Ceres positive rep and say goodbye

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Ceres, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  2. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Feilhaber at AGF Aarhus (5) [R]: Ben and Jerry make like a banana and...

So is this an automatic closing once he finally lands with an MLS team?

I humbly propose that we let it stay open until this summer's Gold Cup. Obviously its not the same as Davies' situation, but it is also not the same as Cooper's and Demerit's. Both of those guys went from not playing at all (and they're YA threads dwindling) to MLS in preseason.

Feilhaber is going straight from playing in Denmark to playing in MLS. The thread is already well past the 1,000 post threshold. I think we could at least give people a place for discussion about his earliest MLS play and keep Ceres involved for a time.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Eh, once not a YA Benny will have another forum (with local fans) to support him. The best way to keep tabs on him will be with their additional input. I don't care if this thread stays open (it's not like anyone is forcing any of us to click on it) but we generally let the threads go when the player transfers to MLS.

On another note, I'd like to add my thanks to Ceres for all his great posts over the past few years. I hope he stays around here and helps us keep tabs on the Danish leagues-- there will always be a few yanks playing there I'm sure.

Cheers.

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

since this is obviously going to be going into closing soon, as far as Benny's overseas career goes, i think he had the capacity for great things over there. He just had "it" to me. Hamburg may have been above him, but he was most certainly above Derby IMO. That place was a backbreaker for his overseas career. The injuries didnt help obviously, but for me Derby was the ultimate backbreaker. I think he could have hung onto a lower BL side, mid table La Liga/Ligue 1 side and slipped right on in. He has great vision, sees the field well, and has that flair to his game that we all like to see (so does Bob). He's been one of my favorite players for some time. We all got our players we have a soft spot for. For me its Gooch and Feilhaber. I just like what he brought to the table. Whichever of Chivas USA, New England Revs, Houston Dynamo, etc get him, you will see a notable difference in their play. If Dom can somehow get his gloves on him......and play Ching and Koke up top.....i think youd see Houston become a top side pretty quickly.

What do you guys think?

5. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ditto. Thanks Ceres.

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Thanks to you all. :)

.. and over and out...

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I completely agree about Ceres. I hope we get to see him soon in another YA in Denmark thread, because he's been terrific.

As for this thread, I think it's going to stay up for a few days to allow folks to say their good-byes, but FirstStar is right. The situation is different with Benny. Unlike Davies, he's not just visiting MLS, he's moved. He's going to a different forum. So while I wish Benny the best of luck in the Real World, he's no longer a YA.

8. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Well, I think he has been rather misfortunate in Europe, first at Hamburg, then picking the wrong club in England. His time at AGF has been a bit up and down, first he was haunted by some bad knee surgery he recieved at the end of his Derby career, which kept him out the first 6 month at AGF, then he had a very good run in the Superliga, but got struck by yet another injuy after the winter break last season, when he was needed the most...

AGF suffered relegation and by the time he was suppose to be sold, after a good performance at the WC, the financial crisis had struck the European transfer market so bad, that the bigger clubs that were interested in him, chose to save the $$, probably because they were losing sponsors and were struck by budget cuts. Now that his contract was running out, AGF were playing 1. Division and revaluating all their players, because of the general crisis and a slow transfer market. So he was asked to take a big pay cut, if they were to extend. Quite unfortunate, because he would have liked to play for AGF in the Superliga and they would have liked to keep him.

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Whirlwind transfer deal lands Feilhaber in MLS

"The MLS option came up only in the last few days of the transfer window," Feilhaber told MLSsoccer.com from Denmark during a break from moving duties. "It all happened pretty quickly after that."

"I've had a great time in Aarhus and I'll always love looking back at my time here," said Feilhaber. "I'm sure they will [be promoted to the top flight] and wish them all the best in the future. I will always be an AGF fan for the rest of my life."

Read more at:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/whirlwind-transfer-lands-feilhaber-mls

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

At first, I thought he would but he sort of stopped growing both athletically and mentally (or, at the pace a 20-YO American kid would). In retrospect, he was more advanced at 20 then because he had still some Brazilian flavor to his game but even that stopped producing dividends at some point.

So, after 5-6 years in Europe, you basically are what you are. If he was worth seven figures, there'd be bigger clubs lining up for him and MLS would have to stretch far outside its comfort zone to land him.

Personally, I am against Charlie Davies' DCU move because I thought Chuck still had room to grow and that growth would have carried more potential outside MLS. Benny, on the other hand, has reached his limits and they are within the MLS financial self-restraints.

I am not even sure how effective he'd be at a club like the Chivas. He can pass the ball but he needs someone to be making runs for him also and too few MLS players are as savvy as he is in seeing the game.

And athletically, MLS took another step forward this year. It's not easy being a slow little dude in this league.

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah, Derby was just a black hole....I was hoping like all hell it was West Brom. That was a team that would play exactly to his strengths and been an appropriate level for him. They play direct, attacking ball that would have suited him ideally. But Derby.....man, in my 6 or 7 years of watching the EPL devoutly i have never seen a Premiership team that poor. They were just god awful. Darn shame benny got caught in that pestilence.

Dude is gonna make whoever he plays for better, and going to make what is a pretty sorry team as of now (Chivas USA, New England, Houston, someone of the like) much....much more pleasing of the eye. Im certain of that. If he goes to Houston and hey get Koke in as withdrawn forward.....that team is a playoff team to worry about that could go places.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

Has Chivas grabbed him? I thought that was still up in the air. One strike against MLS (and players like Feilhaber returning) is the uncertainty. At his age/status I would want to know where I was headed before I signed.

Do we know the salary/terms of Feilhaber's deal? The second strike imo is the difficulty MLS players face trying to escape - those one-way 'option years' on their contracts. I wonder if Feilhaber (or Davies) has an 'escape' clause.

More likely, Feilhaber has accepted his own limitations and adjusted his ambitions accordingly.

[Davies still seems ambitious, and imo we can think of this year as the completion of his physical rehab, assuming he hasn't trapped himself with his MLS deal.]

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

I think today is the D-day.

You'd think so but MLS is known for giving occasional wink-wink, nudge-nudge assurances.

Ceres and I guessed the same number on different threads.

I'd bet a house his contract is guaranteed.

yes.

Who knows what deal Davies has in place with MLS.

At this point, I assume none.

He is still on Sochaux's payroll.

14. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome home, Benny!

It will be interesting to see where you land . . . .

Props to our friend, Ceres, for providing the information loop.

15. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little less that 2 hrs until the deadline for Chivas. Anyone know how long Philly has if Chivas passes? Is this potentially going to drag on into next week?

Edit: I would also like to add my thanks to Ceres for his updates and match reports. I hope we get another YA to Aarhus soon.

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I suggest a U-20. One of the promising collegiate guys would make sense.

17. withoutthee88

withoutthee88 Red Card

Aug 23, 2008
    Chicago/USA
    The MLS is getting STRONG.

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    strictly a rumor now, but Chivas PASSED on Benny and New England just locked him up. Proceed with falling on the floor at Chivas USA's expense in 3....2....1....

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Chivas know that Bocanegra is coming back this summer? Interesting...

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or EJ. Its the only possible defense of this. Philli passed on him too, but with Nowak that was obviously gonna happen. New England on the clock. I cannot fathom them not taking him. They are absolutely terrible right now, possibly the worst team in the league.

a midfield of Joseph-Feilhaber would be fun to see though.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude....:eek:

Its a really.....really d-bag move quoting one's self but....

Benny just went to Houston. Who wants to touch me...... :D

it didnt go down exactly like that, but it was pretty darn close. final details still emerging. Looks like Chivas and Phili passed, Houston traded up with New England. for what, we dont know as of yet

22. RevvedUp10

RevvedUp10 Member+

Aug 10, 2010
    Watertown, Ma
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Except for the fact that he didn't go to Houston. Talk about fail.

23. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008

Are you sure? According to Wikipedia (a supremely reliable source):

This is a great move for Buxmont...

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh man it appears i just got punked by Mr Cochrane's tweet. :eek: nothing for sure yet then, new england still on the clock

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999

NE probably did not want anything EXCEPT the chance to NOT pay someone serious money. That is their overall goal: not to pay anyone.