Feilhaber leaves AGF Aarhus for MLS(5) [R]: Come give Ceres positive rep and say goodbye

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Ceres, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Congrats to Feilhaber and the USMNT that clinched its place in the World Cup in the very same match-round as Denmark and with both countries having one game left to play in their groups :) .

..and It was AGFs Jakob Poulsen (in shirt number 7) who secured the Danish win against Sweden by scoring the only goal of the match as you can see here :

or
    http://ekstrabladet.tv/sport/article1237224.ece

So it seems that AGF is doing something right too :D

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Re: Feilhaber and White at AGF Aarhus (5) [R]

Match reports and highlights from the Superliga games so far this season :
    Round 1 : AGF v AaB Aalborg, 1-0, assist by Feilhaber, highlights
    Round 2 : Randers v AGF, 2-3, goal by Feilhaber, highlights x2 + interview
    Round 3 : AGF v OB Odense, 2-2, Feilhaber interview
    Round 4 : AGF v HB Køge, 2-1
    Round 5 : FC København v AGF, 0-1
    Round 6 : AGF v Silkeborg, 2-2, secondary assist by Feilhaber, highlights
    Round 7 : FC Nordsjælland v AGF, 0-2, highlights
    Round 8 : Brøndby v AGF, 1-0, Feilhaber selected for the 'team of the week'
    Round 9 : AGF v FC Midtjylland, 2-4
    Round 10: Esbjerg fB v AGF, 3-2, Feilhaber selected for the 'team of the week' highlights
    Round 11: AGF v SønderjyskE, 2-1, Feilhaber assist (and "goal") highlights

'Team of the week' according to Danish TV2 Sport :
    Michael Lumb (Round: 2, 5, 8, 10)
    Benny Feilhaber (Round: 2, 8, 10)
    Dan Thomassen (AGF,1, 2)
    Jerry Lucena (Round: 2, 5)
    Jakob Poulsen (Round: 3, 5)
    Steffen Rasmussen (Round: 5)
    Anders Kure (Round: 5)

Superliga 'Team of the month according to Danish TV 2 :
    - July : Mark Howard, Dan Thomassen, Jakob Poulsen, Benny Feilhaber, Head coach of the month : Erik Rasmussen

- August : Michael Lumb, Jakob Poulsen, Peter Graulund, Head coach of the month : Erik Rasmussen

Superliga 'Player of the month' :
    July/August : Jakob Poulsen

AGF Squad :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarhus_Gymnastik_Forening#Current_squad

4. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How long do you think AGF can keep up their level in league play? No doubt Feilhaber and Poulson have been a huge part of that.

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

On paper AGF got the 4th best team/squad in the league, behind FC København, OB Odense and Brøndby.... so I expect that AGF finish in top 4-5 at the end of the season... Hopefully some league medals.

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

Hot off the presses, courtesy of jonny63 ...

http://www.dbu.dk/news/newsShow.aspx?id=252164

Landsholdet møder Sydkorea og USA i november

Maybe we'll get to see Feilhaber and White, as unlikely as that sounds.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sweet. I was thinking just the other day, that once qualification was set, a match against the Danes would be a good test. I'm sure it will be a mostly European roster since the MLS playoffs will be in full-swing. Maybe, just maybe, we could see White. If I'm reading right the match will be at Aarhus. I'm kinda disappointed he's hasn't been called in. This is his opportunity.

8. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Uptil now the USMNT have only faced the real Danish NT once in the past (in 1993 in Phoenix). The other friendlies have been unofficial and against the Danish league NT...

http://www.haslund.info/danmark/akovs/usa.asp

.... but I can confirm that this is going to be an official match with all the best Danish players available (and of course also Jakob Poulsen from AGF) :)

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Your quite right. it will be played in Aarhus at AGFs home ground...

http://www.agffodbold.dk/news.asp?id=7066

10. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. Think of it this way. Theres a number of guys who have a real chance of going deep in the playoffs in MLS that Bob might not want to call up if they're either still in the playoffs or just got done a few days before the game: Donovan, Clark, Marshall, Bornstein, Casey, Ching, and, most importantly, Stuart Holden and Robbie Rogers. I really think Columbus makes it to the finals and so should either LA or Houston. That means 2 of the 4 wingers Bob has had lately would probably not be there for the match.

1) Bob will need another winger for the game.
    2) Bob has shown that he will call up players for games in their home stadiums: Rogers in February, Findley and Beckerman in September, etc.

Due to the circumstances, AGF supporters could very well see White in a national team uniform that night.

11. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You've got to think either White or DaMarcus Beasley may earn a call up.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

fyp. :D

13. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, my Danish is a little rusty*, but from the comments it sounds like a friendly between Denmark and USA on November 14th in Aarhus? OMG, I think I could actually travel up for that game. But what's the weather likely to be up there that time of year?

*Rusty, a word which here means non-existent.

14. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, just can't see Beaz getting called up. For all the criticism, Bob has done a good job of letting go of players who are "past it" as we head toward the big stage. Lewis, Wolff, Mastro, Califf, and now Beasley have all been pushed out over the last year or so.

White will more than likely be there. After that, Bob would most likely just push Torres out left or Feilhaber out right.

15. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach

I'm sorry to hijack this Feilhaber/White thread again, but it's a nice place to meet some Danes. ;)
    http://www.bold.dk/nyt/Tyske-klubber-syner-Jakob-Poulsen
    Are these German clubs interested in Poulsen? My Danish is non existant.

16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Yes, Mönchengladbach, HSV, Leverkusen, Dortmund and FC Köln will be in place to watch Poulsen when Denmark is playing the last match in WC qualifying group 1. against Hungary...

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. Ato Vari (AGF)

Ato Vari (AGF) New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus

...add rainy and windy to that. Very rainy ... very windy. Cold, dark, wet, chilling. You should come up here! :)

19. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like fun. How is the food and drink?

20. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

White has been told by coach Rasmussen that he is free to leave AGF this winter :

http://translate.google.com/transla...article1852488.ece&sl=da&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

As written before, then AGF have already signed a new winger Stephan Petersen, to join AGF in the winter and since the AGF turnover revealed a huge deficit and White is getting more expensive to keep when his 3-years of low 25% income taxes has come to an end, then it would be obvious to let him go this winter, since the club is downsizing the squad from 31 to probably 24 or 25 players ... They are going to sell Arthur Sorin (who is on loan to the French side CS Sedan) and then also White and probably Jesper Blicher and some of the players who have not played all that much the past year, like Kim Madsen, Lindkvist and Pleidrup... If they can find them a new club...

Perhaps you remember that AGF proactively found some new clubs for both Arthur Sorin and Kári Árnason in the very slow and difficult summer transfer window, after they had been told that they were free to leave, so AGF do their best to help the players find a new team if they think it's time to part... So I dont think you need to worry all too much about White...

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's shame that White will probably leave AGF but considering the new tax bracket he will fit in and what it will coast the club, it's understandable they are looking to sell. The club took him in when he was pretty much down and out after his mishap in Serbia and his bad luck in Greece and France despite performing well. He owes a great deal to the club. They've produced a good player. I known AGF will take care of him and find him a good respectable club. Maybe a 2nd Bundesliga club? A Dutch club? But if I'm the Philadelphia Union. I'm licking my chops. He's a local boy and would be a great addition and a key player in the organization. He has a young family now so maybe it's enticing to come home to MLS.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

J White is a guy who should be in the mix for at least fringe national team callups, and has been for awhile. Poor guy, i hope he sticks something nice this january

23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Philly?

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Most of the MLSers will be coming off the playoffs or still involved in the playoffs, for the November friendlies in Europe. So there's a good chance it will be all Euro based players. Not only that the friendly against Denmark is at Aarhus. There's a damn good chance he at least gets called up. I hope. I want to see him internationally aside from the 13 minute he cameo in 2008 during Camp Cupcake.

25. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

I agree... I watched you play at the FIFA Confederations Cup and you could easily have used an American "Dennis Rommedahl" like White...

Now, you could probably argue, that when a club team like AGF wont keep him, then he is not good enough for the USMNT, but ther are several good reasons why he has not played all that much this season and why he is leaving... First of all his young cousin (who was like a brother to him), died on the very first match day of the Superliga... and then he became a father for the 2nd time, so this season has been an emotional rollercoaster for him.

secondly, ther is the issue of $$ and the much higher income taxes, that makes it more expensive for AGF to keep him. So they have signed a younger winger who, like White for the US, should be in the mix for fringe Danish NT or League NT callups and no doubt is cheaper to sign than it would be to give White a pay raise, to cover the higher taxes..