Feilhaber: Derby v Brum 25/08 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by the_mighty_rams, Aug 23, 2007.

1. the_mighty_rams

the_mighty_rams New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    So after watching bits of Benny play for the USA team via a sopcast stream I though he looked quite lively. So he's back in Derby training this morning - will he be in the team on Satdee against Brum?

I think he will play some of the game, probably wide right. Thought he looked more comfortable wide right yesterday, but only saw snatches of him centre mid.

C'mon You Rams!!!!!!!!!

2. Live in the Now

Live in the Now New Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should play in the central. He doesn't play directly enough to play wide in the Prem, IMO. And I love him (in a heterosexual way), you will too.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he is a very cultured player. I sort of worry abut that for a bottom Prem team. How much ball control do they want, as opposed to blasting it upfield?

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add Lewis to the title, he should be available this Saturday.

5. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    The game's about putting the ball in the net - if you'd watched our past 3 games (even the spurts twonking) you'd be aware that we try to play football on the floor as much as the next team - as long as the next team isn't Arsenal that is!!!

6. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    I'd forgotten him, but yes I think he'll start the game.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You think Lewis will start? Wow.

This is as much of a must-win as you can get this early in the season. Good luck to Derby.

Any word on Giles Barnes? Are they going to sell him?

8. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    I would start Lewis, if he's fit. We have no other decent left winger. But what Billy will do..... :D

As for Barnesy, well we've said we don't need to sell (and this time it's true we don't). We can't buy the kind of quality he's got, at the minute no-one fancies signing for the relegation candidates it seems. So theoretically any money we'd get for him we can't use! I hope he stays for at least this season, he's special. Not sure when he'll be fit.

Actually thinking about it, he's the antithesis of Huddlestone (they were at Derby together(ish)). He's got power, pace, ball skills, he runs at players, he can head the ball, he's not frightened of being phyical, he's got great shooting skills.....not sure he can pass a ball long? Lol! :)

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Which team is Derby's biggest rival?

10. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nottingham Forest.

11. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    i was actually surprised, Derby certainly just don't bang it up and hope to get some good bounces/hold up play. They play through the midfield quite often and Benny seemed to me a good fit.

12. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    He's definitely more comfortable as a center mid. The only reason he may have looked uncomfortable playing there in the second half was that he had three or four players in front of him who had hardly any professional experience in the past year, and several players around him who were playing out of position and looked a little lost. That really limited his passing options. Also he may just have been tired by the second half; it's happened to him before.

13. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    It's supposed to be Forest as SheffWedFan pointed out, the stadiums are only ten or so miles apart, but for many of us who were around in the seventies the team we most like to beat are Leeds.

14. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Tired by the second half!? Oh boy, will Billy have him working in training. Mind you, the propensity to tiredness plus what may be a few weeks hard physical work could mean Benny's minutes are low for a few weeks.

15. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    The Tricky Trees..

16. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apropos of nothing at all, I thought I would share with everyone Benny's awesome goal against Mexico in the Gold Cup.

[youtube]mcGA2W4d5_E[/youtube]

It never gets old.

Edit: for some reason I can't use the YOUTUBE tag. I'm an idiot.

Edit: and now I can. Thanks DaPrince84.

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [youtube]lL4L4Uv5rf0[/youtube]

18. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd: A homeless guy threw poo in my eye!
    JD: Check the poo!
    Lloyd: Mine or his?
    JD: First him, then you!!!

19. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass
    eh?

20. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hope Derby destroys Birmingham. You know, if they win this game, I think it'll just give Derby tons of confidence going into Anfield. Screw the Scousers.

With the way Wigan, Sunderland, Brum, Middlesbrough, and Bolton look, I honestly think Derby will stay up this year.

Lewis isn't spectacular, but he'll be consistently mediocre in the Premier League, so at least you'll know what will be on the left wing. Benny can create scoring opportunities, except not sure who Derby has who can hit the back of the net.

21. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    Don't forget about Fulham. They had looked pretty atrocious at times, but I think they will stay up just barely. If Lewis has any amount of time to cross, he can whip in a pretty decent ball. I wonder if he will take many free kicks or corners?

22. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I don't want to say its a 'must win', but for a side like Derby to remain up- you got to pick some easy wins somewhere.

The odds are much lower vs. top 10 in table. The lack of quality depth of the squad still isn't showing its ugly face yet. As they will get used to the Prem later in season, they will also look well-worn and struggle too at times.

This is a big match. They pretty much need a win. The odds are in their favor, and that will be rare this year.

23. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting back to the original point of this thread, any new info on Benny being in the lineup tomorrow?

24. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    Doubt the 16 will be announced before about 14:00 tomorrow. He's not been ruled out, so......... :)

25. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.