Feel Like Throwing Up?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody want to doubt my theory that this is History Repeating Itself?

Read this, children, and weep openly if you must:

Jeff Bradley, 2001:

Columbus Crew
    "Harden My Heart" (Quarterflash)
    "I'm gonna harden my heart, I'm gonna swallow my tears, I'm gonna turn ... and ... leave you here."

Again, I'm getting emotional here. Excuse me, those words really get to me. Quite simply, the Crew have to toughen up this year, and I'm not talking about playing more physically.

They need to learn how to win a tough game, to put an opponent away. If they'd done that last season, they would have clearly made the playoffs.

But they couldn't, so they begin 2001 as a team in search of its soul.

If they get off to a rocky start, it's pretty much assumed that Tom Fitzgerald, the dean of MLS coaches, will be sacked.

So Fitz is changing from a three-back system to a 4-4-2, praying that Brian Maissoneuve is fully recovered from a serious ankle injury, that Dante Washington has another 15-plus goal season in him and that Jeff Cunningham is ready to be more than a tease.

Probable Opening Day Lineup: 4-4-2
    Mark Dougherty, Mike Lapper, Mike Clark, Tenywa Bonseu, Todd Yeagley, Brian West, Brian Maisonneuve, Robert Warzycha, Ansil Elcock, Dante Washington, Jeff Cunningham

STYLE:
    The Crew have long played like the best college team in MLS, long on hustle and desire, but a little short on tactical awareness and overall responsibility ...

They've always been a direct team, probably because they were built around the aerial strengths of Brian McBride back in '96, and have always looked for speed in the draft ... John Wilmar Perez brought some nice skill to the central midfield last season, but too often looked lost in the hustle and bustle ...

Tenywa Bonseu was a shrewd pickup in the offseason and he should immediately climb the ladder toward the upper echelon of MLS defenders with his combination of athleticism and coolheadedness on the ball.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/bootroom3_20010406.html

2. musterion

musterion New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Hilliard, OH USA
    And some people Wonder ...

... why I am not renewing my season tix for next year. I am not going to pay for continued mediocrity year in and year out.

3. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I won't renew my tickets.... again.

4. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If i were there, i would renew my ST without a doubt. I'm Columbus wether we are bottom of the league or top.

5. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My sentiments as well. Furthermore, Columbus will still be here long after Andrulis is gone and long after Mark Williams is gone... but only as long as people like me continue to support the league and the growth of American soccer. I know of no other way to show that support than continue to attend and buy my season package. I know not everyone feels this way, so I am just putting my two cents out there.

6. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    That's easy to say when you're not spending loads of cash week in and week out. I'm tired of chucking my money down the crapper to see a team that a) has a guy in the 10 shirt that says "no one knows what they are doing", b) plays a guy that could careless about what happens with the team and regularly goes out to bars the night before a match and slags off on his teammates, c) has a GM that says "we're not in it to win every match, just put ourselves in a position do damage in the playoffs", and d) has a coach that is so clueless he states that "the soccer gods were against us" or this timeless classic "we only lose when the other team scores worldclass goals."

I'm totally done with this team, I'll get shootout for away games, and go and tailgate in the parking lot and listen on the radio for home games. If Andrulis comes back, I won't, it's that simple, the attitude around this club is disgraceful.

7. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Just because you don't have season tickets doesn't mean you don't support the team.

The club doesn't listen to your voice they listen to your pocket books.

So if you don't renew don't feel like your any less of a supporter cause that's rubbish.

8. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    It's all about the tough love.

9. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's November. And I'm so angry with this whole organization that it's a wonder I haven't sworn off all my loyalty. I'm so close.

But. When we get around to Crewsmas in March I know where I'll be: 137.

Maybe I enjoy punishment. Maybe I already know what will probably happen in 2004. I don't care. Fu(k these guys running the show on the field and off but this is my team and my city and my colors.

Now someone spin the damn logo. We're gonna win it all next year.

10. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    This spinning the logo stuff must be pretty powerful.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I guess that those of you not renewing your tickets are just clearing the slate to be charter fan club member in Cleveland in 2005.

12. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was truly powerful stuff at the top, Bill. Very depressing.

However, I must admit that I have already re-upped. I've rooted for bad teams for years, and I've seen them get to "almost" enough times to never want to see it again (see "Giants", subheading "Meltdown in Mousetown"). I'll keep on doing it 'cause that's what a fan does.

That said, I have absolutely no quarrel with those who plan otherwise, and consider them no less a fan because they're voting with their pocketbooks.

13. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    "Dayja Vue all over again" - Yogi Bera

Or "Groundhog Day" - Eggy gets the Bill Murray role.

14. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Not really. I'll be calling the Crew rep the day Andrulis is fired and will get myself whatever package is available for the remainder of that season.

15. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would buy season tix year in and year out for the metros if they had a stadium like you guys have.

16. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah, I'm from Alabama, so I just picked a team.

Look how I wound up.

Consider yourselves lucky.

17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already hate the Cleveland Farce.

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    I missed it, who on the team was hitting the bars the night before games insulting teammates?

I can think of a number of memebers of this team that this is likely behvior for but I am wondering who and is it supported.