FedEx capacity and ticket sale - DC vs Chealsea

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCU1996, Jul 18, 2005.

1. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    yeah.. my cable doesnt carry it. so its kind of stinks that their was no other options.

2. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Mr. "Give-me-rep-because-I-found-a-stream-you-can-use"....... :mad:

:D

3. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

I taped it. If you want the copy, let me know.

4. Big Roy

Big Roy Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Ya, that sucked...left the Old Dominion Brew Pub (ODBP) at around at 5:25 and didn't get home (South Arlington) until 6:45. Left for RFK at 7:05 and some how managed to be in the stands w/ two beers for kick-off.

Leaving work (in Sterling) at 2 PM on the 28th. Getting growlers filled at ODBP and off to wonderful Fed Ex. Muahahaha!

5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I left Reston (~ Wiehle and toll road) at 5:10pm on Friday; I got to Capitol Hill at 6:55pm. An unbelievably sucky drive.

To the person asking about getting to Fed Ex -- last Friday was particularly bad because it was a Friday and because of the torrential rains that kept popping up in the afternoon. But really, what you want to do is go early.

6. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Speaking of FedEx, which one of the two new Blue Line stations is closest to the stadium? I'm planning on throwing back a few beers, and don't feel like driving. I don't mind a bit of a walk (15-20 minutes).

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I left Leesburg at about 2:00, got to Lot 8 at 3:07 :D The 395 part still sucked pretty bad, but not as bad as when you folks came later.

8. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If somebody wants to watch LA get beat by a world class team 2-0, may I suggest MLS Cup 1999?

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I left Woodbridge around 3:00, and I think I rolled into Lot 8 sometime after 5:00. 395 sucked hard by that point--I could have walked the stretch from exit 8 to Maine street faster than I drove.

10. CPRoyale

CPRoyale New Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Adams Morgan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Redskins:

Just take the Orange Line to the Landover Metro station or the Blue Line to the Morgan Boulevard Metro Station or the Addison Road Metro station. The Morgan Boulevard Station is located on Garrett Morgan Boulevard and is within 1-mile walking distance to FedExField.

can't confirm the walk, since I have never walked it.

11. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Wasn't it amazing that there was very little traffic coming out of the city at rush hour yet we were in gridlock heading into the city?!

I only remained sane by imagining that all the traffic was from rabid United fans heading to RFK. Somehow that made it better.

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should chalk up Friday's woes up to the various storms, Friday travel, and Wilson Bridge hysteria.

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    ...and the rabid United fans heading to RFK. ;)

14. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm guessing that the game being on ESPN2 is a big reason as to the somewhat slow ticket sales. It's one reason why I'm not going. Also because FedEx sucks for soccer game, even with a small crowd it's a pain to get to on a weekday night with rush hour traffic to deal with.

Chelsea have at least 6 Englishmen (Terry, Bridge, cole x 2 (joe and Carlton) Lampard and now SWP). I'm not a big fan of theirs but they have recently tried to bring in more English players to the team than they had in the past. The same can't really be said of Arsenal, 'Pool and even ManU to some extent.

15. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine it has something to do with RFK's parallelogram field which Chelsea just would not have agreed to play on. Hopefully that situation with the field gets sorted out...

16. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I wish I could say the same, but I was incomprehendable by the time I got to the stadium (2 hours after I left home) and then to make matters worse, CSC decided for some strange reason that the diaper bag I have been bringing to the stadium since the first game of the season with no problems, violated their rules on bags. Needless to say this put me over the edge.

I'm still trying to figure out why there are different rules for baseball and for soccer? Shouldn't a bag they say breaks the rules do it for baseball also? Apparently this is not the case. If it had been a baseball game I could have gone right in according to the CSC guy.

17. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing how some people can't let figure out that RFK has fixed the lopsided field. Does RFK have a less than ideal pitch? Yes. But for the most part it seems square, and the turf (seams and all) is probably better than HDC had last night.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure hope not :D

all squares are rectangles, all rectangles are not square :D

19. RFK 315

RFK 315 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    ...lurking...
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm planning on walking, too. Looks like the Morgan Blvd. Station is closer, per the WMATA website :
    http://www.stationmasters.com/System_Map/MORGANBD/morganbd.html

20. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    in this context, square means perpindicular or forming a right angle. a T-Square is certainly not square shaped, but it's still a square. ;)

21. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I believe that station was specifically built to be within walking distance of FedEx. There is a path to the stadium and supposedly there are signs as well.

22. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    get better cable.

By the way, I watched it too.

23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I couldn't believe it. 395 north from the mixing bowl was bumper to bumper the entire route, until it got to the city and magically cleared up before it normally does.

24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one had an explanation, though, if you were listening to WTOP. Apparently in the late afternoon, the traffic light at Pennsylvania Avenue and Kenilworth Avenue went out, so nobody could get onto DC-295 N. at Pennsylvania Avenue. This froze the ramps off the SE-SW Freeway onto Pennsylvania Avenue, which in turn backed up the SE-SW freeway all the way to the 14th St. Bridge, which in turn backed up 395 all the way to Landmark, according to the radio. When I came in on 66, I took the Roosevelt Bridge over and went all the way out to RFK on Independence for just this reason.

25. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting back to the actual tickets, I got mine yesterday via FedEx (delivery not the suck ass stadium).