FedEx capacity and ticket sale - DC vs Chealsea

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCU1996, Jul 18, 2005.

1. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Lord, talk about someone who's head should have replaced the Whack-a-Mole! So how exactly did this fine specimen get a ticket for Sun?

K

2. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They just gave John Terry a compatriot in SWP. That, what, doubles their English contingent? :D

3. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    He said his boss has season tickets. He does actually go to some DC games because he said he uses his boss's ticket sometimes.

Not much of a redemption, but at least he has been to the odd DCU game.

4. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh, Mr. Arsenal fan is one to talk!

5. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I think my ticket rep mentioned that to me as well... or maybe I read it in the Post article... but I definitely heard that somewhere.

6. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may have been in the Post, but Kevin Payne mentioned it during the conference call announcement.

7. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, now. Just responding to Hala-Cosmos' post......

Combined, both teams may have like 8 Englishmen?

8. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL.

Personally, I think it's the heartless, soul-less, fanbabies like this guy that contribute to the destruction of integrity in professional sports. Instead of spending their money on building themselves into their vicarious fantasies in an effort to forget their own failures, pathetic lives, or that their mommy smacked them with spoons when they cried too much, they should try growing up, learn how to commit to something, and get some balls.

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's going to suck big time. Damn, why couldn't they have had this at RFK? Yeah, I know about the grass thing and all, but, damn.

10. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Abromovich's face when chelski lose to a MLS side. Imagine a stunned Frank Lampard realising his side couldn't beat DCU. I guarantee you all the smack their fans talk would be thrown right back in their face.

For the record Fed Ex doesn;t hold 92,000 the rose bowl holds around that, Giants Stadium is bigger than Fed Ex as well.

11. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    The most recent expansion put it at about 91K and change.

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For the record, you're right.

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/nfc/FedExField.htm
    Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Field

PS - I feel icky from going to football websites.

13. Untermensch

Untermensch New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Washington DC
    Bring on the Headhunters....

14. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    okay.. just wondering what is up with people? why would u play the game at fedex field when the atmosphere would be so much better at rfk. rfk makes good atmosphere compared to that squared boring looking football stadium.

i mean rfk is dc united's home. it's ridicoulous.

15. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I'll be away on vacation -- like thousands and thousands of DC area residents who flee this God-awful climate the end of July -- so I won't be at the game. I'll be rooted in front of ESPN2 rooting for DC though. I'm a big DC United fan and a season ticket holder since Day 1, but even I have to think that the thought of Didier Drogba up against Brandon Prideaux, Frank Lampard against Brian Carroll and John Terry against Freddy Adu could be a bit rough for the home team. I saw Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and their fans lit up the place. Let's hope a few make the trip to Landover and that they leave unhappy!

16. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute - weren't we supposed to play RSL on the 28th at RFK? If so, this is a major fvck up by DC United/MLS - showing a stadium 1/3 full vice a packed house for the "Clash of Champions" just isn't good.

I agree on your point - RFK would be smoking! Another missed opportunity.

17. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From The Washington Post:
    "Payne said FedEx Field's dimensions will be 72 or 73 yards wide and 113 yards long -- about the same as the field at RFK and adequate for an international match."

18. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Question regarding getting to FedEx since I've never been there before. I'm driving and coming out of Virginia. Any tips from FedEx regulars/those knowledgable with getting there?

I heard parking is a bitch during NFL season, does the same go for July 28th?

19. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    more than anything I think it's the whole Thursday night over in Landover which is killing this more than anything else. Beltway traffic in Rush hour, wilson Bridge construction, and jacked up ticket prices..sounds like a blast!

20. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Yeah, it was a joke trying to get to the match Friday. It took me an hour to get from Reston to the East Falls Church station where I finally gave up driving and hopped on the Metro...which took me another 40 minutes to get to the stadium...and that was on top of my hour commute from Frederick when I got off work. So, it took me three hours of travel to get from work to the game. After experiencing that, I'm having my doubts about the Chelsea match. I was 110% and now I'm probably 75% sure I'm going.

21. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    GS isn't bigger than FedEx.

22. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    In fact, it's more than 11,000 seats smaller. Giants Stadium seats 80,242.

23. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game is @ 8PM. If you're not going to tailgate, (I'll assume you're coming from Herndon) don't leave until just before 6ish. Let most of the rush hour pass you by. Then cut through town. Depending on how you know your way around, either just take the Toll Road/66 combo, or snake your way in via Rt 29. Then take 395 into the city to 295 South, then take Suitland Parkway to the Outer Loop (actually, go to Rt 4 turn left, and then take the beltway). Arena Drive is then like 2 or 3 miles. It's more direct and you should have only one slowdown through the city as opposed to the Mixing Bowl and then the Wilson Bridge.

If there's only 40-50k for the game, the lots should be able to accomodate the crowd. Beware, these are some of the skinniest parking spaces this side of Tokyo.

Feel free to PM me if you want more detailed or clearer directions.

24. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    it's so stupid.. would be awesome to see the screaming eagles and barra brava.. in the middle of the tv screen at rfk.. i swear everything is always a screw up.. same with tonight.. no way to watch la galaxy vs. real madrid unless u get satelite.. no chance for me with cable.. no possible way to get a stream because its such a high class game..

sorry just found out it was at fed ex.. basically ruins it.

25. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I watched it on cable.