Federation Succession?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by JACKRABBIT, Apr 9, 2009.

1. JACKRABBIT

JACKRABBIT New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Carson, Cali
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was so that the States of California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington could break from US Soccer and form a seperate Association, in 8-12 years, much to do with organizational purposes, would be a team that would be expected to be in the quarters of the World Cup, ala Brasil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, England, etc., with a squad with the means to have a legitimate shot at the World Cup.

Oh well.

2. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Would Bob be the coach?

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this has to do with what? The pertains to our national team how? Great players come from the West Coast, loads of them, we could probably have a "national team" filled with just Californians, but that doesn't negate that we have many, many good players outside the West Coast. Texas comes to mind.

4. JACKRABBIT

JACKRABBIT New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Carson, Cali
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...it has a lot to do with climate, and Southern Cali is the center of a hot spot, like Southern Brasil and Argentina, the Mediterranean, ect.

5. JACKRABBIT

JACKRABBIT New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Carson, Cali
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has more to do with US Soccer "philosophy" than any manager.

6. Zenitfan

Zenitfan Member

May 31, 2001
    Dayton, OH
    Yes because Oregon, Washington and Hawaii are so well known for producing top notch soccer talent.

What you're basically saying is that if California (which would be providing the overwhelming bulk of players for such a scenario) were to somehow secede and form a soccer team, they would markedly improve over the rest of the 49 states (or 46 in your ridiculous scenario) because they are dead weight?

Short answer: No.
    Long answer: This is the dumbest thing I've read today. Congratulations.

7. JACKRABBIT

JACKRABBIT New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Carson, Cali
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remind me of the United States successes, with the eastern US Soccer philosophy, in previous World Cups?

8. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread of the Year?

9. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably easier to form a baseball team.

10. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, once upon a time I was bored and decided to make a "Californian National Team" on Fifa 08, pretending California was a new nation. I got a lot of people who are from California or can claim residency in California (Basically, guys like Huckerby or Beckham--If California became a new country, Beckham could switch, like Davor Suker did with Yugoslavia/Croatia.) I also got some guys from California that play for other countries, like Willie Sims and Jesus Padilla.

The results were pretty fun. Just having the computer simulating, California got 3rd in World Cup qualifying in the Hex (Below USA and Mexico). I then watched the World Cup, California was in a group with Italy, Egypt, and Ireland. California drew Italy in their first match 1-1 (Beckham PK), trounced Ireland 5-2 (Landon Donovan, Sasha Kljestan, Johnathan Bornstein, Robbie Rogers, and Ryan Johnson all scored). Then, California drew Egypt, 0-0. That put us in the round of 16, where we were soundly thrashed 3-1 by Argentina. (Kljestan's goal was no match for a Tevez hat trick!)

Incidentally, the 23-man Californian National Team was:

GK: Cannon, Hartman, Rimando*
    DF: Hejduk, Bornstein, Johnson, Thomas, Pearce, Bocanegra, Califf, Orozco
    MF: Kljestan, Beckham, Rogers, Lewis, Padilla, Guy, Zizzo
    FW: Galindo, Huckerby, Buddle, Razov, Donovan

*Rimando got into the squad when Adin Brown got injured.

11. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    What about at least a Youth World Cup ....My God since 1994 I have seen so many U 17...U 18...U 20 Soccer World cup and my question is what we need to do to get one of those...:cool:

12. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a sarcastic jab at our coach?? who'd of thunk??

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you'd need to learn the difference between succession and secession first before you start thinking about challenging for the World Cup.

Then again, when the US military pulled out of California, Mexico would invade and that would be the end of that because Californians don't have the backbone to do anything but drift on the waves

14. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could field a pretty comparable squad from the East coast.
    GK: Timmay,Busch, Reis
    D:Gibbs,Goodson,Gooch, Parkhurst,Wingert
    MF:Adu,Bradley,Sharlie Joseph,Jorge Rojas, Christian Gomez,Szetela,Gaven, Ricardo Clark
    FW:Jozy,EJ, Angel,Davies,

15. JACKRABBIT

JACKRABBIT New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Carson, Cali
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...maybe I'm being too harsh with the sucession stuff, but I've been fed up for a long time with US Soccer and it's "philosophy", which basically has made association football advancement a system through which mainly it's a suburbian and "privilaged" process. There is, and has been for my lifetime, so much raw talent within just a 25 mile radius of my home that US Soccer, for whatever reason, doesn't tap into, and continues with their "structured advancement".

Also, it's not a knock on abilities per region of country, cause I'm sure there's raw talent elsewhere in the country, but the depth here makes for more quality players, and has a lot to do with climate, with SoCal being "Mediteranean" and Oregon and Washinton being somewhat similar to England's climate. I guess NorCal could be thought off as having the French climate. It leads to year round ability to play from a young age.

But most needed by US Soccer all the way through "AYSO" is to let the kids play with the ball from an early age and let them have fun with it, and gain the skill and touch before being "taught" how to play.

It's just frustrating knowing the raw talent is out there, and having to deal with the old "eastern establishment" of US Soccer. They do not get it; and going deeper, don't want to get it.

16. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's secession. :rolleyes:

See MM10S correction above.

On to your point about the robotic structure and coaching methodology in the youth game, that is the case everywhere. It's not unique to the West Coast.

Until people who have grown up watching pros play start coaching and administrating, we are going to have a nation that tries to clone players from Soccer for Dummies. Once you include the widespread lack of inclusion of immigrants in the organized game, and as long as scouts still really only look at ODP and elite clubs, the talent pool in the States seems shallower than it is.

17. CFCkm7

CFCkm7 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1994 World Cup

John Harkes
    Tony Meola
    Tab Ramos
    Claudio Reyna
    Brad Friedel

To name just a few.

18. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fact, you can field a much stronger squad from the east coast, players like Rossi and Subotic would suddenly become eligible.

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the California establishment is any better? I hear about U-10 teams being all about winning over here. The American youth soccer philosophy is just as entrenched here as it is out east. No new federation is going to change that overnight.

20. Cujo1126

Cujo1126 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm from Boston. And I played club soccer all year round from age 12 to 16. During the winter, we had up to three indoor practices plus a game every week.

And concerning the suburban/price thing, a lot of the kids on the team were from the inner city and had team scholarships and played for free. I knew of several teams that did this around Boston.

21. hail columbia

hail columbia New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    New Jersey,U.S.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey,what's all this talk about secession? :mad:

[​IMG]

:p

22. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you need to spell you threads correctly, I thought this was something about kicking out Gulati :)

23. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why am I having flashbacks to uclacarlos' "real hex standings" of a few days ago?

Flyovistan?

24. JACKRABBIT

JACKRABBIT New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Carson, Cali
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gulati is the FA, UEFA, and FIFA's North American puppet. We need a Federation that is true to the International advancement of our country's association football status, and not be swindled and coddled by "outside influences" for the stagnant philosophies US Soccer sells.

A cleansing of the traitors at the highest levels of US Soccer would do wonders for our country's status internationally, I'd give even money if the cleansing and change in domestic philosophy occurs, our country would be consistently expected to make the quarters in the World Cup, with the capability of winning it all.

25. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My word, if money could stop FIFA's corruption....there'd be a triple recession.