Feb. Camp News

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Jan 24, 2008.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    Re: Pia Calls Mega Camp

thanx.

i read thru that list of forwards twice and didn't see her name. i'm blind.

2. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin

No prob, I've done the same thing a million times. Whether or not Kai makes it is another story!:)

3. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know much of the new names of course. Curious to why some U23 defenders like Moore and Logerman aren't called.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    good point.

the stated purpose of the women's u23 is to serve as a stepping stone to the senior wnt. so if you're in the u23 squad and don't get called, it's either because there are some young 'uns deemed to be better than you, or (since the u23's will be competing in the nordic cup) they are running a u23 camp at the same time (which i've not heard).

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Finally a NDer! Hanks should be on this list also.

6. longtimesoccerdad

longtimesoccerdad New Member

Oct 19, 2006

The 23's leave on 2/8/08 for Spain and I believe Logterman tore her ACL last season at Texas.

7. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From
    http://wnt-ussoccer.blogspot.com/

"There were supposed to be 37 players in training camp, but 2007 Women’s World Cup team defender Marian Dalmy had to drop out, deciding to have knee surgery to repair some articular cartilage issues. Meanwhile, midfielder Aly Wagner recently underwent a double sports hernia surgery – ouch! – but the procedure went well and she is resting comfortably on her couch in Los Angeles. For more info on Wagner’s surgery, check out ussoccer.com a bit later and we’ll try to get an update on Dalmy at some point as well."

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bummer about Dalmy. I saw her play as a freshman (and several other times) and thought she was dynamite. A very strong player with great fundamentals. One of Jerry Smith's best.

9. lockhart_13

lockhart_13 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Anyone know when the first round of cuts is going to be made at Mega Camp?

10. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Suppose to be after the first week; could be tomorrow, possibly Friday.

11. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    why has there not been a single photo or story about the womens camp? i feel like the coverage oft he team is getting worse, not better. If i hear one more time about us and mexico mens game i may be sick. It would be one thing if we were playing italy or france, but i am beginning to think the mens team ONLY plays mexico and sweden.

12. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    You need to check out the USWNT blogs, which are posted daily. Here's a link:

http://wnt-ussoccer.blogspot.com/

13. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Probably end of Friday since in many of the articles about the camp it says:
    "On Feb. 9, the remaining players from the first group will come together with the veterans for a week of training before Sundhage chooses the Algarve Cup roster."

14. wambachFan51181

wambachFan51181 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You have to be joking, the WNT Blog on ussoccer is pathetic. It's all essentially the same posting day after day.
    MONDAY - Today the girls had practice, they worked hard and are very
    tired.
    TUESDAY - The girls had practice, worked real hard and say
    they are very tired.
    WEDNESDAY - Today the girls had practice, they sure are tired.

Not a single photo, not a single player interview or training camp video has been posted about the women's team and they have been in training camp for almost a week now. Yet we have been bombarded with non stop MNT photos, videos, interviews as well as podcasts from the second they began preparing for the Mexico game, and NO I am not hating on the men's team, I like the MNT I watched the game last night and watch all their games when I can, all I am angry about is the fact that it is just as easy and simple to take photos and videos of the WNT as it is the MNT and post them online yet ussoccer refuses or is simply unwilling to do so.

15. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Well, I propose we click on the link and post a comment asking for more. More coverage, more pictures, interviews, and so on. They are notorious for censoring comments that they don't like, so they might not publish them, but that doesn't mean they won't read them.

The only trick is that you have to sign up for a google/blogger account, but given how slow are these board this days due to the lack of information available, I guess is worth the effort. Heck! if we were able to streamline, use torrent and god knows what for the 4NT, we can sign up for a blogger account!:cool:

16. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

I think we all earned an honorary degree in computer science in getting those 4 nations games up an running.

As for the blog, it is TOTALLY EDITED. They wont post a comment if you are even slightly critical. I prefer to send my complaints as comments on their main page. My most recent asked that they at least make a little effort to try to look like they might actually provide fair coverage to both teams equally on the site. Honestly, they are clueless and I just do not understand how Heifitz still has a job there. For example the most recent article is on aly wagner. Now i know we all know her and people have been wondering about her, but how about some coverage of people who have been consistent players in the last year and a half. There are losts of other player i would like to here from or learn more about for that matter, especially with regards to how they like playing under a new approach.

I also think i said something along the lines that if they cannot afford to take some pictures, i would ship them a disposable camera. And if they cannot afford to hire someone to use it, I have some friends in LA who would be glad to come over and point and click on actual players. Its a difficult task, i know, but I think someone might actually be able to get some consistent photos of camp if we work together :| .

morons

17. kickflip84

kickflip84 New Member

Oct 5, 2007

The blog also has a lot of repetitive "fluff" and not even good fluff at that. Like for example all the coverage of the players watching the NFL playoffs and the super bowl that made up multiple posts. I mean come on those who are fans want to know about the players and their game, not the players watching other athletes play another sport. I understand there might be slow days in camp but the men's national team blog doesn't appear to have posts of a similar nature. So it seems like they could easily come up with something more relevant to fill the space and time.

Another thing that bothers me that I've noticed is that the videos that US Soccer posts show a lot more of the men playing/training and a lot more of the women just talking. It'd be nice if they mix it up a bit on both sides. Granted at this point I know its a fight just to get a decent amount of coverage, but its also frustrating that a lot of the current coverage is of poor quality.

18. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is the main author of the women's blog?

19. wambachFan51181

wambachFan51181 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    YankBastard wrote "Who is the main author of the women's blog?"

Aaron Heifitz is the one who writes the WNT blog.

20. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    EXTRA EXTRA!!!!

OMG! :eek: Looks like Brandi Chastain wanted back on the WNT under Pia!!

http://universalsports.nbcsports.com/articles/show/43737?sport_id=19 (half way through) and that she is planning to make a come back for the WPS.

Kudos to Pia for saying no, for looking at the future wanting younger talent and for (hopefully) saying no to Scurry if she is not at the top of her form.

21. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Hi USWNT fans I was just Browsing around the web and came across this web site WOMENSWORLDSFOOTBALL.com they have a top 20 list according to them of the best Players in the World at present.. #5 Abby #6 Hope #11 Lori # 12 Shannon What is this a Goal Keeper so hight on this list, not that I don't rank Hope as one of the best keepers in the world now that Rottenberg and Norby is pass they prime.. I am wondering why the Germany keeper this last world cup was not ranked!