Feb. 26: Red Bulls vs. Miami FC

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by DKDynamite, Jan 30, 2011.

1. DKDynamite

DKDynamite New Member

May 16, 2010
    N of WPB
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2011/01/new-york-announces-2011-preseason-travel-schedule
    "The Red Bulls will return home from Mexico for a short stay before departing for Fort Lauderdale, FL on Feb. 21. The Red Bulls’ first team and reserves will face the Chicago Fire on Feb. 23, and the first team will square off against NASL side Miami FC on Feb. 26."

Hopefully it will be open to the public! and marketed...good way to get people to come and watch Miami Fc... or err.. ahhh...hmmm....is that
    Ft. Lauderdale Strikers?....

Any other friendlies Miami FC/Ft. Lauderdale Strikers are playing before the 2011 season starts... if it does.

South Florida "Football Fanaticos"
    http://sf3s.blogspot.com/?zx=f889ce754ca1db07

2. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be awesome. It's on a Saturday so a good crowd show up. They've got Henry and Marquez! Nice!

Last year MFC played Red Bull at Lockhart but it was on a Friday afternoon so hardly anyone could make it.

Should be an great opportunity for the Strikers to recruit new fans and for the supporters group(s) to get some new members.

3. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, I guess now we know that the name, crest, kit release details have a drop dead date of February 25th. Can't be playing games as Miami FC at that point, it would be clownish. Wonder if season ticket holders are going to be contacted about this game. Four weeks isn't much time to make rebrand announcements and schedule and advertise a friendly against an MLS squad....... If anyone hears more about this, please post any info. Would definitely love to go to this match!

4. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wait a second. I just re-read the article. Am I too sleepy tonight or does it sound like the Red Bulls/Fire matchup is going to be here as well? Perhaps the Fire will be playing the Strikers as well? Ok, just found it on the Fire website, it says they WILL be playing the Red Bulls at Lockhart on February 23rd. Says they will also be playing two more matches with dates, times, and oppoents TBD. Gotta be one with the Strikers as well you'd imagine.

I think I feel like I can say with even more conviction now that the NASL will indeed play in 2011, sanctioned as a USSF league. How can they not settle ofr D3 in 2011 if they have to, after all the money and work that's been spent, everything that is in place, and now MLS friendlies to top it off. If Davidson and Traffic ever want to be taken seriously by MLS organizations in the future, there is no way they can do something like schedule friendlies against MLS teams and then cancel them last minute.

5. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be cool if they played Chicago too. It would make sense since Coach Shore was a long time assistant coach with the Fire.

6. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We're talking 3 - 4 weeks out now from these friendlies, at our house, and we find out about them on the Fire and Red Bulls pages? I completely understand that there is a lot of pressure on the NASL to act quickly in order to have any shot of D2 sanctioning this year. I also understand that really means Davidson and Traffic doing most of whatever work there is to be done. But come on! We still don't even have an official team name! Hosting and playing friendlies with MLS teams from Chicago and NY and there isn't word one about it even on the website, let alone in the community?

I can understand not wanting to put out anymore press statements or official documents that say Miami FC/Strikers 2011. That is looking pretty bush league at this point. I think they need to just make a small press conference and statement to announce the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers name. I mean, is it still under debate at this point? They MUST know by now what they will name the team. That way you can put some announcements out about the friendlies, and save a bigger splash for the kit unveiling, presumably prior to the friendly matches. And how about contacting season ticket holders about these very important matches that are less then a month away?!?

Sorry guys, just losing my patience a bit. I really wanted to believe that things would be different this year, that the marketing of this team that has been completely absent in the past would stay in the past. Again, I understand the Strikers (Traffic) personnel are almost certainly the ones working on the sanctioning issue. But there's got to be some things that can start happening with their own team with the season so close at hand. Or maybe this is an indication that they are indeed all in with this D2 or nothing business. Maybe they're purposely waiting to see if the sanctioning gets returned before they do ANYTHING else. Very frustrating......

7. DKDynamite

DKDynamite New Member

May 16, 2010
    N of WPB
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    yeah, hopefully Strikers/Traffic market and advertise and promote these friendlies.
    I emailed some folks at the strikers and got a response from Tommy Knapp
    "
    [FONT=&quot]"I have spoken to coach about this. We will be forwarding some details soon. Is this the e-mail I should use for you and do you have a contact phone number as well. We have a series of pre-season events lined up starting in mid-February and running straight thru to the home opener.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I appreciate your enthusiasm! We are all eagerly anticipating the kickoff to an entirely new era of pro soccer in South Florida.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Go STRIKERS!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Tommy[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Would be awesome if Strikers/Miami/whoever, could organize some high profile friendlies against MLS teams and really really hype them up, promote them, market them, advertise them.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I also emailed Pieter Brown - President of Miami Ultras about it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I put it on South Florida "Football Fanaticos" Blog ( http://sf3s.blogspot.com/?zx=f889ce754ca1db07 )[/FONT]

I was there last year when Miami played Redbulls... it was a afternoon in the pouring rain! it was memorable. there was only like 10 of us there LOL

Hopefully they spend a bit more effort marketing, advertising, promoting the Strikers/Miami/whoever this year than they did last year.

Tell your friends! family, neighbors, local watering hole, kids, pets, local bum!

How else can we let people know in South Florida? SCREAM IT FROM THE TOP OF A BUILDING?
    We can only do so much!

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

8. DKDynamite

DKDynamite New Member

May 16, 2010
    N of WPB
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Anyone hear any news , or updates or advertising on this YET?...
    Any buzz anywhere? it is a week away?

9. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the meeting the Ultras/supporters had on February 5, we heard that the Red Bulls want it closed. It's really their event, they just wanted somebody to play. They don't want a bunch of people in the stands because their evaluating players etc. etc.

BUT, if you show up with the supporters to the other events at the complex earlier that day(Stripe the Stadium and Strikers vs. US U-17s), they might be able to get us in to the RBNY match.

10. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that was said with a lot of "perhaps" and "maybe" and "might happen" in the conversation. There were also a lot of winks and knowing smiles included. Take that as you will.

Evidently the Red Bulls don't want the expense of a public match. Extra $$ for security (police) and such as that. They want the match for practice, evaluations and little else. Probably the Strikers want the same. Especially at someone else's expense....;)

11. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, this is understandable from strictly a preseason training standpoint. Would have been a nice event for fans, season ticket holders at least. According to the season ticket package details, the club owes us an additional game TBD, either a USOC, or a friendly. Considering there will be no USOC games, it's going to HAVE to be a friendly. Would be nice if it was an MLS side, or if they could get an international club in. Has anyone heard anything more about the Fire? They're supposed to be here the same time as the Red Bulls, and are scheduled to play each other at Lockhart already.

12. DKDynamite

DKDynamite New Member

May 16, 2010
    N of WPB
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Ahh, good to know. Unfortunate. Would be great publicity/advertising/marketing for Ft. Lauderdale Strikers.

13. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GAME IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC AT FREE!!!

[​IMG]

Sucks that Red Bull held up the promotion of this until now, but better late then never I guess.

SHOW UP PEOPLE!!

14. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What a great opportunity to rev up fan interest, and also sell a ton more $99 season ticket packages! This is going to be awesome!!! They need to get the word out all over South Florida tomorrow, all the radio talk shows, the local papers, anything and everything they can!

15. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks good. Hope I can make it....:)

16. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I might be refereeing at that time, but hopefully I don't get any games or Im done before that!

17. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I suggest that everyone does what I did. I was invited on Facebook to the event by a facebook friend who is an Ultra.

I accepted the invitation, and then I suggested the event to ALL of my friends on facebook. I have about 300. Some are really close, some I have only talked to once or twice. Most important is that almost none of them have any idea that there is a professional soccer team here. It took me 3-4 minutes to invite them all. Its a tedious process.

But now, 30 minutes later, there's like 8 or 9 that are confirmed, and many that are maybe. A lot have even asked me about the event since they have no idea.

Truth is, facebook is the entire internet for many people, so you gotta give it to them.

Everyone suggest the event on Facebook to their friends!

18. DKDynamite

DKDynamite New Member

May 16, 2010
    N of WPB
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][/FONT]
    FTL Strikers v NY Red Bulls

[​IMG]

The Fort Lauderdale Strikers announced today that its preseason match against the New York Red Bulls is OPEN and free to the public. Kickoff is set this Saturday for 2.30pm at Lockhart Stadium. Come and watch world renowned stars like Rafa Marquez, Thierry Henry and the rest of the New York Red Bulls, as they take on the Fort Lauderdale Strikers for their first ever preseason game. Remember Strikers fans February, is your last chance to secure season tickets for only $99.

http://www.strikers.com/article/ftl-strikers-v-ny-red-bulls

19. DKDynamite

DKDynamite New Member

May 16, 2010
    N of WPB
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, too bad I have changed my plans, since "it was not going to happen"
    that's 10 less people coming.

GRRRRR:mad:

Great planning,organization and advertising once again... FTL? NYC?

Nothing like last minute! Too little to late?

Hopefully THEY can reach enough people in 24 hours to have a good showing to a free game against the next MLS Supporters Shield Champions.

20. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea. Well done!

21. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    When I got the mail from Pieter it looked like I could not get to the match, so I checked "NO." The day has opened, so it looks like I can get to the match after all.

I MUST wear my Red Bull shirt, so I will sit somewhere so as not arouse the ire of the Miami masses. -- oops. Ft. Lauderdale, in a much-improved jersey, I hope!

22. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They have not unveiled the jersey for this year yet. I'm guessing we'll probably be seeing them play in shirts that are Strikers colors, but certainly nothing official or what we'll see on April 9th. Glad you can come, bring all your friends!!! Let's get a large and loud crowd at Lockhart!!!

23. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  24. DKDynamite

DKDynamite New Member

May 16, 2010
    N of WPB
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    AWESOME! some advertising!
    So bummed I can't go
    GGGRRRRR!
    I would be able to go if it started like a regular home game! early evening.

Will this be online?

25. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I've spread the word to some people at work, who hopefully in turn spread the word as well. The Sun-Sentinel article is good. Hopefully some other things have been done as well. I'm hoping for a really nice crowd, despite the last minute nature of things. This is such a huge opportunity for the team to generate a ton of interest with new fans, it's such a shame that there wasn't at least a few more days to get the word out. If nothing else, we should at least be able to beat that pathetic looking crowd in Orlando from the other night! LOL