Feb 10th Blue-Out Rally

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Quakes4cup, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Wear red in the Sams Army section but wear your Quakes scarf also to show your support for our team.

2. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    May I also propose that if you own one of the red Quakes' throwback jerseys (circa 1980 w/ the big black and white stripes down the sides) wear that. You will be wearing red, a la Sam's Army, yet it says SJ Earthquakes very prominently on the front.

I also like Beerking's idea of the red shirt/Quakes' scarf idea....plus lots of signs and the BAQF. If nothing else, we should take full advantage of this national platform to let everyone know that--2 months removed from "the Royal Screwing"--we still haven't let go of this or given up.

3. IrishQuake

IrishQuake New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Alameda, CA, USA
    That's what I'm going to do!

4. IrishQuake

IrishQuake New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Alameda, CA, USA
    Another good idea!

5. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Good idea ;-)

6. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do a mix of both. Present plan is to be wearing a red Quakes jersey, with a USA scarf, red hat, and carrying an Earthquakes blanket throw (blue) which will double as a flag. I might make rearrangements for the second half (with a Ching Earthquakes jersey).

7. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sounds like a good tip for another banner: "AEG = Royal Screwers"

8. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Banners all over the Coke Bottle - can it be done?

9. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    My first thought is toward stadium restrictions for items we can bring in. Anyone know SBC's restrictions for this game?? (Like at Spartan where we could bring in flags but no flagpoles or sticks from which to suspend them.)

10. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    My first thought is toward stadium restrictions for items we can bring in. Anyone know SBC's restrictions for this game?? (Like at Spartan where we could bring in flags but no flagpoles or sticks from which to suspend them.) That will give us a better idea of what we can use to deliver our message.

11. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Damn, that may shelve my idea. Three sky-divers dropping in, two with Quakes banners and the third with a "F--- You, AEG!" banner.

12. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Make 'em sky-diving streakers and we've got something.

It'd be sort of our version of Howard Stern's "Fartman" to AEG.

13. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, "Hartman" could be done...:eek:

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm a foreign interloper, so those of you who disagree are probably going to think, "STFU!" but what the hell, fwiw, here goes:

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

Organize a large demonstration. The blue out idea isn't bad. Banners and chants that say something succint like "Bring Back Our Quakes!" are a good idea.

Don't worry about distracting from the game. As a person who cares about the MNT more than the Quakes, I still realize the cost benefit analysis here: if you make an impression that's registered in the public, you stand to gain a lot more than the MNT will lose by having its broadcast distracted for a minute or two during a meaningless friendly.

Of course, you should be tolerant of those who aren't down. It is their money and their ticket after all.

WHAT YOU SHOULDN'T DO

Make the whole thing a, "F-- the league! F--- AEG! F--- Garber!" episode.

I'll start out by saying that's pointless, but that probably won't convince you, so I'll go further. It's a great opportunity lost. SF media will be at this game, and the Quakes story can't help but occur to them. The chances that they'll drop a line about the Quakes in their stories is high.

It goes even higher if a concentrated, goal-oriented slogan is used. If you get a few hundred people to do chant in unison "Bring Back Our Quakes!", the papers will probably report it, and almost certainly sympathetically (and very possibly beyond the Bay Area). A couple thousand and it's a dead lock.

If by contrast you make it a big eff you episode, or some more polite version thereof (security will nab that stuff anyway), truly analytical and perceptive people like myself will know the message is roughly the same: we still care enough to be angry. But less perceptive people would only see the bitterness.

Also, for people who don't know the details of the case, all the eff you message says is "we lost." Nobody's gonna get the "we never had a chance" part. In contrast, "Bring Back Our Quakes!" says "we are stubborn enough to believe we can still win."

Even if you really believe it's almost hopeless, you're still better off projecting an image that makes people believe you still believe.

15. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Stan,
    Don't get your knickers in a twist. We might say what we feel on BigSoccer, but there won't be any signs saying "F--- you Garber!" We're going to lock our Ultras in their room. :D

I am hoping there will also be signs saying "アースクエークスを返せ!"

16. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post Stan Collins. I still haven't decided what color to wear.

I might be going with my red Quakes throwback jersey but our seats are right in the front at the midline. The possiblity of being seen on television seems pretty good. I'm thinking a sign stating BRING BACK OUR QUAKES is a really good idea.

17. soccerfan1986

soccerfan1986 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    The City by the Bay
    How about this for a sign "We Still Believe" or "If you build it, we will come" As a Quake fan, I hope that ESPN will get the message and realize that MLS just made the most horrible move ever. The San Jose club has a long history, this is a team with a lot of firsts, they were the first team to host the inaugural match and win it, they were the first to play an international friendly and win it, they were a worst to first team, we, the fans witnessed "the greatest match in MLS history" (2003 playoffs against the galaxy), the Quakes are the first team to complete the entire regular home season unbeaten (not to mention that when this club returns, that record is still with us and it continue until the team loses at home). And if you want to count this one, you can mention the NASL Earthquakes. But as fan not living in the Bay Area right now, I wish all of you who go to that game luck on getting all the jerks who cost us our team to realize what they have done, and hope that Mr. Wolff will be watching on how strong the fanbase is here.

18. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Consider it done! :D in a banner 7' x 3'

GO QUAKES! :cool:

LA LUCHA CONTINUA !!!!

19. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also done! inthe bottom of my japanese banner! :D

LA LUCHA CONTINUA!

20. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know where we can meet?

The game starts about 8:00 PM so I was thinking at the main entrance from 6:30 to 7:30 PM.

We cannot throw this opportuinity away...is the time to show the MLS
    that the QUAKES still have a very strong fan base!

So what you guys said? lets agreed in a place where to meet...

GO QUAKES :cool:

LA LUCHA CONTINUA

21. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    So much for the blue-out rally. Everyone's gonna show up in red and white with a blue scarf or something. That'll look like... USA fans!

Which will amount to... an invisible protest.

Go Quakes! We forgot you already.

Because gosh, we wouldn't anyone thinking Japan had a lot of fans for this friendly.

Yeah it'll be nice to see the US "B" team tune up for the World Cup. Three or four of these guys might even be there.

But the only meaningful apsect to this game is the opportunity to show the American soccer audiences - from VIP's to Achmed Schmoe - that the Quakes got screwed. That we got screwed. That they made a mistake.

Don't forget the average fan there is going to be wearing red, white and blue, and looking for Freddy Adu. It's really up to us if we want to make a last statement while the corpse is still warm.

22. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dear friend:
    Don't give up when you still have something to give.
    Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying!

Brian Dyson

LA LUCHA CONTINUA !

23. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    No reason to get all huffy about it. But might I ask, who are you protesting to? THe league? AEG? The Nation? Who is the intended audience? Perhaps I am just not understanding...But besides being a USNT game, this game is in San Francisco!!?? Not San Jose. AEG/MLS etc. have nothing to do with it.
    I am wondering why do the fans feel the need to glom on to a US National Team game in SF to make some sort of a point when MLS, SSV , and many San Jose fans have already shown/stated they are not interested in supporting soccer anything more north than Santa Clara? (For example, why does SSV urge Earethquakre supporters to support the SJ Frogs with season tix. No word of supporting San Francisco Seals?)
    -Anyway, have fun, I guess I just don't get it.

24. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    You're bright enough to figure out the intended audiences for a Quakes protest statement -- alll of whom will be watching from the stands or on ESPN2.

Ever heard of Soccer United Marketing, Stank?
    "One Sport. One Company."
    http://www.sumworld.com/

BTW, perhaps the best thing we had going for us was the sympathy of the general soccer public, which we won through our demonstrations. I hate to say it, but now it looks kinda like we crawled in a hole and died off.

I recognize your statement about the game being in SF was not entirely genuine (so what if Goodsport wouldn't drive to San Mateo to support the Quakes?) but just about every true blue Quakes fan is going to be at this game, so I think that tells you what the real reach for quality American soccer is in the Bay Area. And it is undeniably a great opportunity for a demonstration of our Quakes support.

We'll be there, the camera's will be on and the American soccer audience will be watching. You can figure it out.

25. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    You act as if everyone is going to continue sympathize with the Quakes fans. And you seriously think SUM has not considered the SF Bay Area as a lucrative soccer market? What exactly are you protesting? AEG's failure to make a deal? SUM for not shelling out $$ at a loss to keep the team in San Jose? Spartan for failure to negotiate in good faith? MLS owners for moving the team where they had a chance to be someday make a profit? If you want to make a statement to somebody that could of done something, maybe you should go run down to RonGo's house while your at it for him being a totally inept leader. Or how about chastising the SV business community for failure to step up and invest? What about SSV for failure to look beyond their backyard for a solution? Depending on what people here on BS believe, there's plenty of "blame" to dole out and absolutely no easy solutions to rectify the issue. Unfortunately, this game isn't the appropriate venue and don't be surprised if people don't sympathize with your protest, especially when it isn't clearly defined at who's feet you are laying the blame.