"Fear of Proper Report Writing"

Discussion in 'Referee' started by IASocFan, Apr 15, 2017.

1. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started this thread for a new user. My reports have been on arbiter or the Iowa HS website.

2. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
    #2 juneau-AK, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    I am that new user. Thanks IASocFan for this help.

So my inquiry is about match report writing. As all referees will know by now, filing the match report is a critical administrative part of the setup. I do not know if I could post a complete match report here and have someone provide feedback.

However, here is one caution report that was filed on gameofficials (after removing identifying information).

--start report--
    AFTER RECEIVING A YELLOW CARD FOR HIS COMMENTS DIRECTED TO ME AT THE CONCLUSION [TeamName] PLAYER [FirstName LastName] #13 DISPLAYED HIS MIDDLE FINGER WITH HIS ARM POINTING AT ME WHILE BACKING AWAY. HE WAS SHOWN A RED CARD. THE CAPTAIN OF [TeamName] WHILE GETTING CARDS APOLOGIZES MANY TIMES FOR THE BEHAVIOR OF HIS PLAYER.
    --end report--

Here is another from another author (spelling of one word was edited to comply with the rules of this forum):

--start report--
    [Location: left wing, attacking half, just beyond the centre circle]
    FirstName LASTNAME, [PlayerId]# 041456, [TeamName1]# 10, 66' DI - public disagreement after offside ruling
    In the 66th minute, after the assistant referee had signalled for an offside infraction committed by [TeamName1]'s Orange #10 and I had blown the whistle to stop play, [TeamName1]'s Orange #10 shouted loudly from just outside the opponent penalty arc, "Are you f---ing kidding me?" I moved toward him, told him "No, no kidding today. First yellow for public disagreement," and showed him a yellow card. He continued loudly "I was not off," and I told him "Just a reminder, you already are on one yellow. He has a better line than any of us on the offside line." He laughed loudly facing away from me and moved toward the halfway line. I booked him, and then restarted with an indirect kick to [TeamName2].
    Orange #10 was reminded again a few plays later that "You are already on one yellow. Just a reminder," after he attempted to protest publically with voice and gesture another offside ruling by assistant referee.
    --end report

The name of player, team name and misconduct type is already entered on the first pages of respective reports.

The reason I am afraid is that there is notice I received, listed below:
    A complaint has been made against you regarding actions you have supposedly taken during a USSF sanctioned match played in [regionName].​

and that I
    may be suspended from working affiliated games pending the resolution of an official inquiry.

The league assignor has no problem with the report written as second example, it is someone from referee committee. If I do not sit with this member to review report/s, there is also a strong likelihood that if I do not do as told, then doom and damnation, or at least more wasting of time in unnecessary procedures. I had understood from the complaint that is was something during the match, and now there is notice about reviewing report. Pretty soon I will not know what a handball is.

Please someone guide me which author's report is more appropriate in terms of general acceptability.

3. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    From what you mentioned in YOUR report, it sounds like you did not do anything wrong. Of course, they may have filed a complaint on their half (and you have no clue what they said) saying you probably said something "out of line" or "something along the lines of race or abusing a player". If your referee committee has any respect they will hear your side, hear the complaints side and they will realize that it sounds like sour grapes from the player. If I were you I would talk to who your partner was that day and ask them to give a written statement or appeal with you on your meeting. I'm thinking that may be the person who filed the complaint. Honestly, if you did nothing wrong, tell the truth and you will be fine. Unless you live an area where there is a large surplus of referees (I.E. CA, Texas, Florida, etc) they need you more than you need them.

dadman and cmonref repped this.
  4. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he have the right to request a written copy of the complaint? Maybe that will give you a better idea. Certainly if it gets to any formal procedure you must be informed of what you are "defending" yourself against.

5. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    Also coming from IA and I am very diligent in putting my reports into Arbiter and how they're worded. After having moved here and having my first one of importance initially be ignored, I was pretty much told straight up that they are not read by anyone unless I also sent an email to someone of importance, with or without a supplemental report.

I get it. I truly do. I'm okay with this.
    I will continue to be a good soldier.

This does not inspire others, who may not be as OCD as I am, to really give much of a **** about proper report writing.

6. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Member

Jun 15, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My report style, from which I don't deviate much:

From what you describe, here's my advice:

I would recommend going into the meeting with an open mind and a non-combative attitude.

Anyone can file a complaint, and that means going through the process. If you did everything correctly, you'll be fine. If you had Assistants, have them write a report.

However: "Pretty soon I will not know what a handball means" sounds like you are frustrated with the advice you are given. Do you push back when given advice? Do you show frustration for even being called into the meeting? Do you argue?

Sometimes the best thing to do is smile and nod, and then go back to your business.

Bubba Atlanta and IASocFan repped this.
  7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Maybe, or maybe not, accompanied by "I appreciate the feedback."

8. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
    #8 juneau-AK, Apr 16, 2017
    Bio-, I dont know icons and stuff, but I can write you, the pretty soon ... was a tongue-in-cheek remark. And no, I am a sponge when it comes to feedback, and advice given, esp by assessors or guidance and 'mentors.'

Ohh, and I am all ready for whatever the meeting and outcome; I am almost in zen-mode.

I am waiting for the fellow who wrote me about the complaint to find out the bally nature of this complaint. Ironically, I received this email about complaint the evening after I had a maintenance assessment. It did bring me down a peg or two though.

The non-deviation from format I get. My inquiry is also which of the two examples convey better information to the reader, the all-capitals first one, or the description of the incident in the second one.

I generally follow the and now back to regularly scheduled programming model, so thanks Bio-, this is really good validation.

9. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
    #9 juneau-AK, Apr 16, 2017
    wguynes, I tried the PM mode, but could not figure out how. Is ocd similar to being nitpicky, anal-retentive like? If so, I am OCD, not many will get away with Law 15 (one of the easiest to enforce, but not many do, esp The LWR, the last week's referee) in any of my matches, Itellja! I wanted to find out what a**** signifies (alas, I am still trying to figure out the snakes-n-ladder on this forum).

10. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017

There is this one booking-report in all-capitals, and then there is the other one with quotes and all. Which one is proper?

These are two different referees filing their respective reports.

I am the author of the second example report. And yes, not only did I not do anything wrong, I filed that report to reproduce the situation that anyone reading would be able to visualise clearly. There are some referees who use a boiler-plate, mine is similar, except the players are different, the field is too, and so on. The players do use very similar expressions - this has not changed since time began - except the elegance is missing now, but not the same wording. Mine technique is to scribble down, the location where it took place, what was actually said, and so on and so forth.

To me, I do not consider loud epithets directed at no one in particular to be abusive language, it is same for me, as if I stepped on the rake in the backyard and got hit in the snoot, it is more colorful language than these players could ever use, believe me.

11. 2wheels

2wheels Member

Oct 4, 2005
    #11 2wheels, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Hey juneau-, I dig this, no really. I have been on that glacier, Mendenhall, in your gorgeous burg!
    We were collecting samples for the ice coring programme (administered by PICO). This was all much before all that drilling became fashionable; I mean you probably heard about the meltdown, literally, that recently happened, right?

But no matter, I find the reports you provided as examples - the one in ALL-CAPITALS is from someone who plainly has no knowledge about professional etiquette in proper report writing. I mean, not professional in practice, just the approach - the majority of my incoming is from football refereeing (football/soocer, futsal, indoor) that pays the rent and an occasional splurge to the grocer, so in many ways I am a professional referee (although I do not have resources to buy the new kit yet). The majority of us are not professional referees (or sports officials), in the strictest sense of the term.

There is nothing wrong about the report written, except that the first example is not complete by itself compared to the second one given. May be I am reading this differently, which of course I am, the second report can stand by itself, the first one, not so much.

Is any reader of this forum privvy to match report, lets say, form UEFA, or FIFA, or any other confederation or national association? What do they read like?

I have been away, hiatus mainly, so do not know if report writing is addressed in this forum; but that would be worth a read, if you find the proper threads. i felt compelled to respond after seeing a familiar name; we always bantered in vernacular about do you know Alaska.

12. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I had my first coach dismissals recently and need to write it up the next morning. I'm usually an excellent communicator, so just did what I felt was necessary. I wrote over two pages (There were two coach dismissals from the same team), figuring that "too much" information was far superior than not enough information. It was a complicated situation, with coaches refusing to leave the pitch and refusing to turn over cards post-match, so needed some explanation in detail.

I wasn't sure if it was too long, but I like to cover my own back and make anything I've done 100%, without question, completely defensible.

13. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    I have issues with both of these reports.

The first one, IMO, is the better of the two (although the all caps and grammatical errors don't help). However, what is "at the conclusion"? Is it in the last minute of the game? After the final whistle? What were the comments (at least the nature of them)? Under which cautionable category was he sanctioned? Under which send-off category was he sent off? What's the point of adding the team captain's apology? Are you asking for leniency? (that's not your call to make)
    This verbiage is more clear: After the final whistle, [team name] #13, [player name], loudly and publicly complained about my decisions during the game. I cautioned him for dissent and displayed a yellow card. He then thrust his arm in my direction and displayed his middle finger. I sent him off for using an offensive gesture and showed a red card.

The second one has way too much extraneous information. As far as I can tell, the offender received a yellow card. No other punishment was delivered. Therefore, nothing that occurred after the caution is relevant. At best, it shows that the ref tried to keep him in the game (who cares? the fact that he was not sanctioned after the caution says that the ref was "successful" at that). At worst, it shows that the referee allowed further dissent (at least twice!) after issuing a caution. Putting snarky remarks in a game report admits to the reader that the referee acted unprofessionally. Also, "public disagreement" is not a cautionable offence. We need to use the terms listed in the Laws.
    This gets across the important points: In the 66th minute, [player name] (player #041456), #10 on [team name], shouted loudly from just outside the opponent penalty arc, "Are you f---ing kidding me?" after being judged offside. I cautioned him for dissent and showed a yellow card.
    Nothing more needs to be said. All of that extra "information" only makes it harder for the league to issue further discipline, should it desire to do so. It gives the offender points to argue. "The ref was disrepectful." "The ref was on my back all game, even when I tried to disengage by moving away."

djmtxref and tomek75 repped this.
  14. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I'm pretty sure I know the referee who wrote the second report. I've read quite a few of his reports and, for him, that would be a short report. Nobody ever complains that there wasn't enough information.

I do have a serious problem with the e-mail you received, threatening suspension. A USSF referee can not be suspended without due process. That means receiving a copy of the complaint, any supporting documentation, sufficient time to prepare for a required hearing before a panel of at least five people, notice that you have the right to counsel of your choice, etc. Now that does not preclude an assignor from choosing not to use you but that seems pretty harsh, IMHO, over a weak game report, unless you are a repeat offender. I've seen far too many misconduct reports where all the referee wrote for a description of what happened was "UB."

dadman repped this.
  15. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Make sure you know what your particular sanctioning body wants and expects. For our HS association, for example, less is generally more. They have given us report templates that are pretty bare-bones. Here's the one for coach dissent:

With [enter number of minutes remaining] minutes remaining in the [first or second] half, I displayed the yellow card and cautioned Coach [Coach Full Name] of [School Name] for dissent, in violation of Rule 12.8.1.c.​

16. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    For cautions in our HS association it is just game info, team name, player number and and name and caution code. For send offs it's just like righting a USSF. I have never seen the need for writing more than a few sentences for send offs unless extra unforgettable is important, IE post sendoff antics.

17. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    There's a 10+-year old document that bounces around Washington: it's accessible at http://www.seattlerefs.org/documents/How to write a misconduct report.pdf.

Some of the LOTG details are out of date, of course, and many of the specific details around sending reports etc. are irrelevant to everyone else (and also out of date), but it provides an excellent overview on what a report should and shouldn't contain. I've pointed a number of people to it in the past and still sometimes look at it myself when I'm writing mode and I want to remember what to edit.

IASocFan and Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  18. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
    #18 juneau-AK, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    When I read that a complaint was filed from something that happened during a match, frankly, I was gob-smacked. As not even 24 hours earlier, I had an unannounced maintenance assessment.

So now I find out that there was no actual complaint that was filed. It is the referee committee member who apparently is extending scope, who happens to be the professional subcommittee chair who writes me this is standard procedure preceding a formal complaint. That sending out that notice is a formality, and that no formal complaint has been made.

I am now seriously exploring options to file a complaint of unprofessionalism against this professionalism chair. Enough is sufficient! Referees could reasonably expect to be protected against frivolous complaints, and to find that there was nothing that had happened during a match played, but this ...

Has anyone have knowledge about any precedents?

19. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    "Unprofessional" behavior is a question of violation of the USSF Code of Ethics, misuse or abuse of authority or conflict of interest. You will have to be specific about what provision of the code you believe he has violated.

Second, in most states, a professionalism complaint is handled, under USSF policy 531-10. Authority to handle such a complaint rests with the "Organization Member" through which they are registered or appointed. In plainer English, this typically means the state's adult (amateur) soccer association (in the case of registration) or the State Referee Committee (in the case of appointment.) Since they are the professionalism chair for their state, I am going to assume they are appointed to the position by the State Referee Committee (or the SRA acting on behalf of the Committee.) That means that your complaint should go to the chair of the SRC.

They must then provide due process to the defendant. Notice of a hearing, time to prepare their defense, copy of all documents, etc. A hearing panel of five neutral people would hear the arguments and make a decision. If you do not like the decision, you may appeal to the USSF Protest and Appeals Committee, but you will have to post a bond ($300, I think) and you, realistically, will need an attorney to represent you. They have the very final say but very, very few issues actually get to them.

A professionalism chair normally has power to investigate possible issues on their own. Our state only allows him to do that, however, when he has received a written complaint. YMMV. I'm going to suggest that you not complain about them conducting an investigation. Wait for an actual complaint to be filed against you before you make a complaint about the professionalism chair. To do otherwise is bad politics, frankly.

This is an issue that, by USSF policy, is dealt with at the state level and only on appeal does it rise to a Chicago concern.

cmonref repped this.
  20. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
    #20 juneau-AK, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    This is really heavy stuff. Thanks for responding Law5. Politics be damned, bad or not, this is about following proper procedures. You may have appropriate experience in this, and so would others.

This may be all parsing words, but that is what most policies help to unravel, right?

First. there is a complaint about something that happened during a match, while the fact is that there is actually no complaint. The process is initiated, so there has to be resolution. There can be no riders on the original complaint, which for whatever reason was not edited properly. It is what we do on the field, right? Incorrect decision, change if not restarted. And we cannot be moving goal-posts.

No complaint, then withdraw, apologise, or is this too idyllic? Otherwise, to me this is misusing the appointed position. And dont there be definitions of what a professional chair does? The referee committee has not provided any information, so I am not sure, however, I am certain of one thing, each committee member on the committee has their working parameters. To go beyond is just officious meddling. Why as referees should we be subjected to such whimsy, frivolity? Is this not what the federation, and/or state policies help prevent?

I have had enough, must prepare for matches for tonight, and get into proper mindset.

21. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Count to ten and ask yourself is this really worth complaining about.

IASocFan repped this.
  22. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Perhaps i need to look at this on my PC. Have looked for a while on my phone and I'm damned if I can see what the issue is.

23. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    It is not likely that the committee person is out to rile you up.
    More likely is that the coach called to complain to the committee. The committee person, being helpful, gives you an early heads up. The coach decides he is being stupid, says forget it. The committee tells you that a complaint was not actually filed.
    The issue goes away--if everyone lets it.

RespectTheGame, Doug the Ref and Law5 repped this.
  24. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Just one further comment. A true professionalism complaint is not, can not be about a referee judgment issue. (Well, other than "judgement" questions like "shouldn't you have known that you can't rob banks?" [Yes, that has come up.]) Whether you should have given that red card or not is not something that the professionalism committee can discuss. In my experience as a former professionalism chair, roughly 1/3 of the written complaints I received were in the 'he doesn't know what a handball is' category. I had to tell them that wasn't under my jurisdiction but I would forward their information to the SDI.

IASocFan and cmonref repped this.
  25. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
    #25 juneau-AK, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Look here Law5, if this complaint made had any merit at all where ever it took place, on- or off-field, I am all for facing the music. But the fact is that there was no complaint. Now that no-complaint situation should become moot at that point. Alas, I find that no, the problem is not proper report writing. If this was a court-room scenario about moving violation, the magistrate throws the ticket if proper clause was not cited. That is the closest analogy I have, and that it is the magistrate who started it.

But the situation did not die there either, just like internet trolls. Now, since I have not responded to the report writing issue, a note had been made by this referee committee member. This to me is misusing the position of being on the referee committee. Now I may not have a complete understanding of the USSF 531** policy, however I am certain such actions violate something.

I have no bones to pick either with cards issued by referees, as the law is very clear about the opinion of referee, or even cards issued properly. Everyone player worth his/her cleats also knows when they commit a bookable offence; most players, and I have known even at B12 level, accept that. A correct card, a proper advantage, all these are respect-inducing activities, and I know from experience, those actions taken on the field establishes long-term credibility of the referee.

However, it would be a different matter if, lets say for instance, if I filed the red card report wrong, I mean, there is a big difference between SFP and VC, that, most of us know, and there are also different levels of AL. Will that be a professional or ethical issue? I mean, if the player knew this, s/he would protest. A referee reporting a sending off situation wrongly is not a judgment situation. If someone blows the whistle on me for describing a situation that did not take place, then facing music will be the least of my worries.

I had joined this forum to gain insights, that, I now have. That I landed up spending time on the best weekend thread was an added bonus. Thank you all.