FCKC 2017

Discussion in 'KC Current' started by Myrtle, Nov 30, 2016.

1. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I'm a bit shocked to see you say that. I would've thought you'd think Heath is a much more technically skilled player than that...

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is, but she also "can get endline like HAO did," which is what I was responding to. In fact, Heath provides a nice contrast to HAO -- matches up with HAO's endline ability, but is much more versatile and skilled, which makes her a different kind of, and probably significantly better, attacking player. And, apparently, more of what Ellis is looking for.

Don't get me wrong about HAO, though, I think she's a great player and I like her as a NT player. But Heath -- and now Dunn, in my opinion -- bring more to the table than HAO.

3. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Sure she can get to the endline. But not like HAO did.

That's what I'm saying.

That's also what I'm saying. HAO was predictable. You know what she's gonna do (get the ball, run to the endline, and cross it in), but she does it so well, it doesn't matter that you know. Heath is unpredictable. You don't know what she's gonna do.

4. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    True that makes sense. I think Vlatko's expectation of wide players is different from Harvey's so Leroux will need to adjust but still could be doable. If Vlatko can get Arod, Leroux, and Groom on the field at the same time while being productive, he should be coach of the year. Time will tell I guess, but this task seems more difficult than last year.

5. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Just for fun...bc predicting a starting line-up in January is dumb. But I am intrigued. Comments....? I like the 1st option because I think this is where our defense is the strongest but the 2nd option probably gets the best players on the field together...though not all in their ideal positions.

Barnhart

Bowen - Taylor - Brunn - Gibbons

Leroux - Scott - Laddish - Ribiero - Groom

Arod

or

Barhart

Taylor - Averbuch - Brunn - Bowen

Leroux - Scott - Laddish - Groom - Gibbons

Arod

6. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Not really earth-shattering information here, but I had fun doing this interview. Glad Yael is back.

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

KC's draftees are dropping like flies.

8. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yes i'm certainly bummed about that. We probably didn't need BOTH Ribiero AND Payne but it sucks not to have either. I hate ACL's, hope she has a speedy recovery!

11. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    http://www.thebluetestament.com/2017/3/21/15005446/fc-kansas-city-dominates-in-7-0-preseason-victory

Here's a link to another preseason game analysis. I commented on SB nation but wanted to pose some of the same questions to you guys....

First of all, i’m quite annoyed FCKC doesn’t have a preseason game in KC. I always make it to at least one preseason game but it doesn’t look like I will this year because of coaching commitments. So I have a few questions.

- I have heard conflicting reports on the formation. The writer made it seem like more of a 4-4-2 but other stuff i’ve read (the above equalizer article) made it seem like they were playing a 4-3-3. I know it typically isn’t a big deal bc they ran a 3-5-2 a lot in preseason last year in preseason and scratched it but i’m just especially interested to see how Vlatko will get Groom, Arod and Leroux on the field.

- Let’s go thru who will prob make the squad based on this article :
    1. Taylor
    2. Brunn
    3. Beal (Is a 4th round pick higher on the depth chart than Reed and Arlitt? Who were both returnerns from last year.)
    4. Gibbons (Glad to hear she was impressive. So excited to see her play)
    5. Barnhart
    6. Scott
    7. LaBonta (She was an unsung hero last year during the Olympics. Glad she doing well)
    8. Newfield (Seemed to fall out of favor by the end of the season last year…what’s changed?)
    9. Bowen
    10. Groom
    11. Leroux
    12. Arod
    13. Tymrak
    14. Laddish (Is she still recovering from offseason surgery? Hope it’s just minor as I see her as a major part of our midfield)
    15. Moros
    16. Averbuch
    17. Back-up Keeper (Parkhill? – I think we need an upgrade here which I will explain below)

- This leaves 3 field player positions up for grabs. Based on the above list here are numbers by position: defenders (6ish), Midfielders (7ish), Forwards (3) already.
    - It will be interesting to see where Vlatko thinks he needs depth. Here is what I think…
    - Either Reed or Arlitt will be cut which leaves two spots for attacking players.
    - Of Toohey, Stieever, Hellstrom (Canadian Int and we don’t have an available slot), Shaffer (draft pick) who should make it????

- Random thoughts: Local players Caroline Stanley (GK), and Morgan Marlborough (fwd) are free agents right now. I wonder if we will see them in preseason camp. Stanley especially would be a HUGE upgrade at back-up keeper.

12. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC

13. SoccerFan12321

SoccerFan12321 New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Anyone know what's going on with FCKC players? From their twitter feed from the preseason game last night, it seems that Beal, Kelly, Flynn, and Ratcliffe (Brittany?) all player but none are rostered.

14. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm surprised media is acting so confused. The past several years FCKC keeps a couple roster spots open for draft picks/invitees to compete for. Last year Labonta and Weimer were signed later in the season by earning a contract. So I'd assume Beal, Kelly, Flynn, Ratcliffe, and Steiner (she's a local kid i'm excited about) are all still practicing with KC to earn 1 of the 2 remaining roster spots.

CometsFan repped this.
  15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Perhaps they are players they want to keep around as "reserves" to be called up as amateur replacements when the NTers are away?

16. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Super tough break with Arod going down for the season in game one. Her reaction after falling over was heartbreaking, part pain and part pure frustration. This will alter Vlatko's plans for sure.

If ACL recoveries go well, and FCKC can get some of their wayward players back from overseas, FCKC will have a very strong squad again in 2018. Lots of veteran leadership but youth sprinkled in too.

G: Barnhardt, Parkhill (maybe they can resign Henninger?)
    D: Sauerbrunn, Averbuch, Taylor, Gibbons, Arlitt, Reed, Moros
    M: Scott, Bowen, Laddish, Labonta, Newfield, Ribeiro, Ratcliffe, Tymrak, O'Reilly
    F: Rodriguez, Leroux, Groom, Payne

*HAO might push for a move to North Carolina, given her history with the place

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Last Courage home game she spent part of the game in the supporters section, even banging on the drum. Then was signing autographs for fans after the game.

No obvious contact with the team - she definitely hasn't been at practice. I believe she still lives in Chapel Hill. It's not uncommon to find her doing individual drills on Hooker Field (UNC recreational sports) when I'm on campus at Fetzer (Lacrosse/Soccer) or Carmichael (WBB/VB). She also was at the NASL NCFC US Open Cup a few days before the NWSL game.

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to FourFourTwo, O'Reilly is planning to stay at Arsenal for the next season: "O’Reilly was a popular figure in her opening stint with the club, and she is due back in London in mid-August for preseason ahead of her first full season with the team."

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would suspect I'll keep running into her then.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    May not be the thread to ask, but since I don't know where else would be better:

I know that FCKC had a fairly good academy system, right? What happens to that now?

21. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    The youth club was separated from the pro club when the team was sold. It will continue to operate, in fact Vlatko is still one of the directors. I would not be surprised if there was a rebrand though.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Good to know. But yeah, if it's still alive then I think a rebrand is necessary, because I thought I read that the FCKC brand itself was part of the sale from Baer to NWSL.

23. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    The logo and marks do belong to the league now, they were licensed to the youth club in a very friendly deal. I'm not sure how that will shake out

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  24. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yes I will be interested to see what happens with the academy system as well. This all hurts even more after seeing the latest U-23 roster which included 4 area players. Miramontez, Kizer, Hanson, Roberts. Sigh.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.