FCII in Sports Illustrated

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by magiclamp, Aug 28, 2002.

1. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Somehow I ended up with a subscription to Sports Illustrated (think I was going for SIW) and in the latest issue (the one with Randy Moss and the NFL preview on the cover) there are a few pages on the Founder's Cup.

There's a two page photo spread of Siri making a diving leap for a ball. However the stupid caption reads "Washington Freedom goalie Siri Mullinix launched herself to block a shot by the Carolina COUGARS in the first half..."

The COUGARS??!!! Sheeeeeeeeeesh!!

A little further along there's a page and a third article by Grant Wahl. Nice but nothing spectacular though.

Norma

2. judymd

judymd New Member

yeah, well at least there's something. look at siw - nothing on the wusa. that's what i hate about that magazine. i don't mountain climb. can't they put something about women's sports in it - you know wusa, wnba, softball, volleyball, etc.

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I view SIW (of which I am a subscriber to) as more of a sporting/active lifestyle publication rather than a sports reporting (like SI or Sporting News) publication.

4. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Hey, it's a better name than the Courage at least...

SI for W sucks because it promotes the idea that women's sports are participation sports only and are not to be treated seriously as spectator sports. I wish WUSA would stop sending them to me. Glad to see FC II made SI though.

Lastly, why doesn't Fear's sig surprise me? :p

5. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    The Carolina Cougars were a team in the old American Basketball Association. Their home was in Greensboro, but they also played "home" games in Charlotte and Raleigh. Someone at SI must have been reminiscing about Julius Erving and red, white, and blue basketballs.

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: FCII in Sports Illustrated

While I agree that SI/SIW needs to treat womens sports much more seriously, I do not have that big of a problem with SIW pimping sports from a participatory angle. (Insert long ass rant on how much of society is extremely sedentary). If SIW inspires any male or female out there to take up a sport such as rock climbing or running or mountain biking..then it's all good with me.

Oh just wait...we've got more stuff from Philly Fan at Fan Fest. :D

7. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    why does WUSA INSIST on sending us SIW...i called the charge twice to cancel that subscription and both times i was told that it was a league initiative that could not be stopped by the team staffs (Good grief, what bull, forcing teams to shove things down ppls throats!) at least they quit calling me a "real woman" :rolleyes:

Signed

Mr. G4M! (and yes my boobs are real!) :mad:

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Here's a thought for those that no longer want to receive a FREE subscription to SIW for whatever reasons...

Call up SIW and request that your subscription be transferred to one of your female friends. I am sure they would appreciate it. I got a friend a free subscription when I reupped mine earlier this year.

9. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Umm, there are some images I just DON'T want to take with me dude...

...and I do transfer every issue to a female friend, my garbage can 'Betsy' :p When they start giving more coverage to the competition in professional leagues instead of just asking their players for fashion and beauty tips, I'll read it with avid interest.

10. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They tried that. Nobody bought it. They switched to the current format to survive.

11. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Just got the current issue, went in the garbage within five minutes. They should call it Outside for Women, or better yet, 'Cosmo'.

12. judymd

judymd New Member

when did they try that? because i have been a subscriber since the first issue and i don't recall ever seeing anything of substance about any professional or college sports.

13. FreedomFan526

FreedomFan526 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Virginia
    There have only been a couple of articles on the WUSA (And soccer in general) since I started subscribing just over a year ago. I renewed my subscription in hopes of them covering it more but I doubt that will happen. Of course I will probably end up renewing again just to see what kind of coverage they have of the Womens World Cup in 2003. I guess I am hooked on waiting for them to give soccer more coverage.

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I take it you love to burn books too huh?

I thought they tried "Outside for Women" several years ago. I'm pretty sure I have some of the original issues somewhere around here.

Those twits in Cosmo don't play rugby or send 5.13s without sweating.

Like I said before...if SIW gets more women to be active..then it's fine for me.

15. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    And it was mucho appreciated.

Any coverage of women's sports...no matter what kind...is better than none.

16. Ms_Spiritus

Ms_Spiritus Member

Aug 27, 2002
    San Diego
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you guys get free subscription on SIW? Do I have to be a season ticket holder to get this offer from WUSA? I'd take anything free in a heartbeat.

-Tony

17. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was automatically sent to all WUSA season ticket holders, since we're all "real women."

18. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    But SI for W DOESN'T cover women's sports (despite the name), that's the complaint!

Fear - was the book-burning thing supposed to be a joke? I don't get it...

19. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001

Depends on what you consider women's sports.

Just because you aren't on a team competing for some kind of trophy, it doesn't mean that it isn't a sport.

20. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I finally saw the issue, but did not find any articles by Grant Wahl. Where is it? Only saw the picture of Mullinix in the Leading Off section.

21. Socceroo

Socceroo New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    CA
    Re: Re: FCII in Sports Illustrated

Its on page 40. But don't look for page numbers because Sports we-don't-need-no-stinkin'-page numbers Illustrated only puts them on the pages when they feel like it. For example, Wahl's article is in the Scorecard section (though, his contribution is not listed), which the index shows is on page 31. However, you will quickly find out SI didn't print that number, this month. So, flip through the pages (or count as you go) keeping an eye on the banners as they scroll by. Eventually you will find it.

Now, using that page as a baseline, count pages until you reach page 40. There, it's that easy!

SURE BEATS PUTTING PAGE NUMBERS ON EACH PAGE!!!

--Socceroo

22. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Nope, it is not there (or anywhere else) in the issues on the bookshelves here in suburban DC. Scorecard does indeed begin on P 31 and goes for 11 pages, but nothing on the WUSA. P 40 has a sort ov TV page - picks for viewing for the upcoming week and media news - and an NFL on ESPN ad. Other parts of Scorecard include cheating in fishing competitions, some US Open stuff, the stupid gossip column they have, one or two other things, but no WUSA.

This is the NFL preview issue with Randy Moss on the cover, is that correct? Am I the only one with this problem?

23. Socceroo

Socceroo New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    CA
    DCUPopeAndLillyFan,

Yep. That's the issue. Ok, let's try it this way.

The Scorecard supplement contains physically shorter pages. Each right-facing page is an advertisement, except for the first page of the supplement. So, after the "Gone Cheatin'" (page 31), the back-side, or left-facing (l-f) page starts off with "Flash Gordon;" then:
    - (next l-f page) starts with "The Cinncinati Kid, Part 2"; then
    - (next l-f page) starts with "The Show"; then
    - (next l-f page) starts with "Sports Beat"; then
    - (next l-f page) starts with "Foreign Aid"; the right-facing page is a Canon Inkjet ad.

"Foreign Aid" is the article by Grant Wahl about the Carolina Courage and the impact of of WUSA's international players. (The front-side of that page is a Ralph Lauren Romance" ad featuring a kissing couple).

Hope this helps.

--Socceroo

24. Grant Wahl

Grant Wahl New Member

Mar 16, 2000
    New York, NY
    Sorry for the confusion. The WUSA story appeared in select editions nationwide, i.e., about half of the 3.1 million issues that go to subscribers. It did NOT appear in any of the newsstand issues. I've never understood the full reason behind the select issues, but it has something to do with targeted advertising providing a greater number of editorial pages for certain zip codes.

Hope that clears things up somewhat. I'll try to get the cnnsi.com website to post the story in any case.

25. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    First - Always nice to hear from the source Grant, thanks.

Second - we had to deal with this seven years ago when an article on Sam's Army we knew was coming appeared in an 'advertising supplement'. What I was told by SI then matches up somewhat with what Grant says here - they have a special advertising section that is only sent to subscribers in wealthier zip codes, and they throw a few 'features' in there to keep content/ad ratio the same or something like that.

I don't mind SI giving subscribers something extra for being subscribers. What I still have a major problem with is that not all subscribers are treated equally - because a subscriber lives in a poor neighborhood they should get less content than one who lives in a well-off locale, despite paying the same $$$ for the subscription? Sounds like a rather discriminatory practice and I'm surprised SI hasn't been sued over it yet. I can understand Lexus ads being sort of wasted in some areas, but why not just replace it with more targeted ads for those zip codes?

In addition to that Sam's Army article, there were a couple of other interesting features in that 1995 issue (Oct 30 I think, with Bo Jackson on the cover) in that special section as well, I'd be irate if I was a subscriber who didn't receive these features simply because of my zip code.

And why wasn't Grant's article in the mainline issue anyway? It's about the only time of the year I would expect WUSA to make SI. It would be nice if we could be pointed to SI for Women instead, but of course they don't cover competitive women's sports...