FCD vs Toronto post-game thread [R, obviously]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Rex Kramer, Sep 9, 2007.

1. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Buzz, looking at your own words about FCD tactics:
    Really it’s the same kind of 4-2-3-1 shape as usual with NO WIDE MIDFIELDERS, Thompson just plays as a second high forward and Alvarez and Denilson swap side to side as wingers or in the middle. We’ve seen it a couple times before this season. The key elements of the tactics remain the same; wingers CUTTING IN, Ricchetti remains the single anchor, Toja linking play through the MIDDLE.

I'm just not seeing wide tactics here.

Also, I would think that the goalkeeper could/would influence the wide defenders to get wide, if that's important to team tactics. By directing them to be there and by throwing the ball to them 'quickly' or at least fairly quickly, when they follow his instructions to get wide. Sala seems to 'hold' the ball more than quickly distributing wide.

Another thing is quick support for wide defenders and that needs to be wide support as well as center support. Wide is the easiest, safest way for a wide defender to go if under pressure.

I also question that our outside defenders are the type of athletes for constant running up and down the entire length of the field for 90 minutes. One last thing, couldn't we cover for Gbandi when he goes forward? Afterall, we've got 3 other defenders and 3 middle of the field midfielders.

I've seen latin teams, including S A teams, that play down the middle of the field a lot. Does this have something to do with our style of play? This would certainly match the way our midfielders are set up.

2. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool photos!!

I didn't bring my camera this time, but thanks for remembering me. :) I am (weather permitting) definitely bringing the camera on the 20th. We are coming with part of my daughter's soccer team and will be occupying an entire row over in section 126. Since it's "ESPN2 Banner Night," I'm hoping the girls can make some cool poster-type banners and have fun showing them off.

Anyway -- I am terrible at captions, but --yes! -- your Denilson photo needs a caption!

Also . . . that photo where Denilson is standing still with the ball, but Toja and like . . . 3 Toronto defensers are all in motion is quite interesting!

Again, cool photos! Thanks for posting them!!

3. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question for others that were at the game:

During the pre-game, what was the deal with them doing the National Anthems BEFORE the teams were even on the field??? Heck, they even started to take down the tunnel until Tex Hooper stopped them . . . weird.

4. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am no expert on tatics whatsoever, but I have noticed that when Sala goes to kick it out of the box he usually uses hand motions for people to get wider. Maybe that is why he holds it so long, the players are out of position.

5. 85FinMiles

85FinMiles Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Below 20
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also, why do the teams switch ends of the field at the beginning of the game? All season they have attacked the north in the first half ... until now. My ritual is screwed up.

6. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    I was at the TX-TCU game (Hook 'Em) and missed the game, but on the highlights I saw the North End (stage area) opened and with the temp bleachers set up. This something new? Break those stands out for the high school football? Will those be available at all games now (perhaps these are the "Denilson Stands")? I'd like to sit over there for a game.

7. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the goal FCD attacks in the first half is a function of the coin-toss. Whomever wins the toss gets to choose which goal they will attack to start the game.

8. FCD-FAN

FCD-FAN Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Saginaw, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's what I think too... the coin toss happens, they determine who's attacking which end, and that's why they switch.

The bleachers in the stage area first appeared for the over hyped "Beckham Game" and have stayed down there since.

9. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, that's what E66 is referring too.

that's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. Although FCD isn't looking to build out of the side of the back and down the line. When they do play out to Moor for example he usually plays it centrally to Ricchetti/Toja or into the gap for Alvarez. Moor's not really up for dribbling the line himself. They key is to make that pass forward then get forward in support of it as an outside outlet.

very true, and a key part that is missing. FCD does want to play more centrally, but it is important as you say for the outside backs to support up. Moor is trying to, but Wags tends to support more centrally and has a defense first mind set. I would like to see him supporting more up the line.

you may be right.

sure, but it's when the mids are also forward that you get the problem. Ricchetti covers for Gbandi a lot, but Pablo is not superman. Timing can be very important for an overlapping outside back.

It's similar tactics yes, but it's not because FCD uses Latin players. It's just the same modern tactical 4-3-3 that many teams in SA and Europe use.

10. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    Yep. Irregardless (grin), Sala comes over to 116 anyway to do the whole "I'm not worthy" salute before defending goal. But yeah, I did a double take when posting my photos when it looked like the anthems were before the team march, etc. Weird.

11. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monday Morning Gaffer: FC Dallas vs Toronto FC
    September 10th, 2007 . By: Buzz Carrick
    http://www.3rddegree.net/

12. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did it concern anyone else that Edu seemed to outplay our entire 3-man midfield?

13. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game Grades: Toronto FC vs FC Dallas
    September 11th, 2007 . By: Peter Welpton
    http://www.3rddegree.net/

14. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that it has been brought up but....
    I can't help but wonder that the first PK call would not have been called had it been Ruiz the one fouled...........

Has a game ever had 2 pk's be the only goals scored, and by 1 team?

15. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about how the Soccer Gawdz have repaid FCD this year with the abundance of PKs. I seem to remember you guys complaing about how FCD hadn't had a PK in 2 years or something like that?

16. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those seats are sold for large groups as a special event area.

17. jwedding

jwedding Member

Jul 21, 2003
    McKinney
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would be a great place for the FC Dallas Beer Garden. I know, we've beat this horse before, but I can't resist a kick in passing.

18. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    I've agreed with this idea before, and I agree with this again.

19. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    The Hoops Beer Garden....one day I know I will see it.

20. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I walked by the "Beers of the World" (or some such) booth before the game Saturday night and did not see a single person in line. If I didn't have someone buying me beers then I would have checked it out. Did anyone see any action there? Is it worth supporting?

21. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Beers of the World usually starts quiet compared to the others, but then becomes very busy. It is definitely the "Mercedes Benz" of beer stands, and has the elevated price point.

22. phipsi348

phipsi348 New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Dallas
    New to the site. Love that I've found a place with informed discussion/critique of all things HOOPS. Keep up the good work.

23. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's got lots (about 15, I think) of "pretty good-to-good beers" - think Heineken, Samuel Adams, Guinness, Shiner, Bass, Red Stripe, some mexican beers, etc, etc.

Most are 7 bucks each for the bottle poured into a cup.

Yeah, that's a lot for a beer, but it ain't so bad compared to the regular vendors selling a Coors Light/Miller/Bud Light for $6 bucks, especially when the soccer parent filling my order doesn't think twice about topping off the cup with 1/3 foam (not that I don't appreciate their "vollunteer service" and all that...).

24. jwedding

jwedding Member

Jul 21, 2003
    McKinney
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy walking the concourse was charging 7.50 the other night, so BotW doesn't seem too bad when you consider that. That was for a 16oz plastic bottle IIRC, but still....

25. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    That's a good point, is there even a bathroom down there on the stage? Imagine having to go up and down those badboys everytime you need to drain the lizard.....something to be considered when discussing a BEER garden.