FCD v. Chicago Fire in OKC area, Mar 17, 2007

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by JustSomeDude, Feb 3, 2007.

1. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Heard, by me, at the Oklahoma Soccer Association convention:

FC Dallas will play a preseason game versus Chicago on March 17. There will also be a banquet and coaching clinics associated with it. I'm not 100% sure, but it sounded like it would be at the U. of Oklahoma field. I saw a flier that said "Saturn Cup", so I assume that it is keeping the same name as last year. FYI.

2. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: FCD v. Chicago Fire in OKC area, Mar 17, 2006

You mean 2007

3. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Re: FCD v. Chicago Fire in OKC area, Mar 17, 2006

That's what I wrote (unless some moderator edited it for me... if so, thx)

4. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    hmmm. that could be my first trip back to OKC after moving back to Tulsa... night game???

5. OsageCowboy

OsageCowboy Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Not sure what the game time is, but it is vitally important that the turnout be decent for this.

6. The game is in Norman.

7. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Re: FCD v. Chicago Fire in Norman, Mar 17, 2007

7pm at the OU field, confirmed.

8. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I will pass this info onto my brother down in OKC. Thanks.

9. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Also posted in the FCD forum -- even more info:

From http://www.oksoccer.com/home/166532.html

OSA will sponsor a Coaching Symposium March 15-17, 2007 in conjunction with the MLS Saturn Cup match to be held March 17 at 7:30 pm between FC Dallas and the Chicago Fire at the John Crain field in Norman.

Oklahoma Soccer Association is proud to announce a “Road to the Pro’s” Symposium. This symposium will be in conjunction with the Saturn Cup – an MLS match between FC Dallas and Chicago Fire.
    Who? Anyone involved with soccer who is interested in learning more, discussing ideas about player and club development and wants to watch some great soccer!!!!
    What? This is an opportunity to observe the teams training sessions, classroom discussions lead by US Soccer National Staff about player and club development, a ticket to the autograph banquet held at the Sheraton and a reserved seat at the Saturn Cup match
    When? Thursday, March 15 beginning at 3:00pm and concluding Saturday evening with the Saturn Cup game between FC Dallas and Chicago Fire. Kickoff for the game is Saturday, March 17 at 7:30pm.
    Where? The observation of field sessions, classroom discussions and game will take place at the University of Oklahoma. The dinner banquet will be held at the Sheraton in downtown Oklahoma City.
    How much? To register for this event is only $150.00. This fee includes your ticket to the Saturn Cup match, ticket to the “Road to the Pro’s” autograph dinner where players will be available for autographs and the coaches will be speaking, ability to view all training sessions (4 for Chicago Fire and 3 for FC Dallas) and the player and club development discussions to be led by a US Soccer National Staff coach.
    There is a limited number of spots in this course…so sign-up today!!!
    To register for this, please contact the OSA office at (405) 840-0181.
    If you have any further questions, please contact Matt Fansher at m.fansher@oksoccer.com

10. ianfan

ianfan New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    OKC
    Any heard when tickets will go on sale? I haven't been to an OU soccer game in a couple of years, but when I was there before, the only seating was a couple of set of bleachers and alot of grass. I know that they did some renovating last year. Has anyone seen it since then? Are we purchasing tickets for a square of grass or are there stands now? I remeber being really impressed with how nice the field was.

11. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude New Member

Sep 17, 2006

Link to facilities info with pics.

They just added a nice seating area for 3500. Not sure about how to get tickets, yet.

12. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  13. iedmunds

iedmunds New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Crowd was 2,226.

http://www.mysoccer.com/mls7/chi0317.php

excerpt:

Fire edged out 4-3 by FC Dallas in 2007 Saturn Cup
    Story courtesy Chicago Fire Communications

NORMAN, OK (March 17, 2007) – The Chicago Fire witnessed its third-straight loss of the 2007 preseason Saturday evening, falling 4-3 in a hard-fought exhibition match against Brimstone Cup-rival FC Dallas in front of an energetic crowd of 2,226 at John Crain Field on the campus of University of Oklahoma in Norman, Okla. Goals from Fire forward Chad Barrett in the 11th and 51st minutes sandwiched goals from Dallas defender Clarence Goodson and forward Carlos Ruiz, respectively. A header from midfielder Ramon Nunez in the 53rd minute gave Dallas a 3-2 lead before Fire defender Jim Curtin answered back with a header of his own in minute 61. The final, game-winning goal in the 82nd minute came courtesy of Dallas substitute forward Dominic Oduro and handed Chicago a 3-4 loss in the 2007 Saturn Cup.

14. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My friend went and was appalled at the $25 ticket price.

15. I was appalled at the $20 GA cost for the lawn, considering I can go an get a ticket to the USMNT game for 18 and throw batteries at Twellman and Ruiz.

I took the kids to last year's game and left the kids at home for this one.

16. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    At least you didn't have to ride back 13 hours with DJ for this one.

17. I heard he finally got the smell out of his minivan from that beef tongue that I taped under his back seat.

18. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Wow. Those were some expensive tickets. When they had the one exhibition game in Hawaii a few years back tickets were like $10 and parking was free.

19. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    I have to think that they would have had a lot more people show up if it had been $10 instead of $20-$25. Maybe twice as many or more if they have marketed the thing a bit better. I know that I had several people who said they wanted to go until I told them the ticket price -- it's actually cheaper to drive to Frisco and get cheap seats there (okay, three hours farther away).

Also, the OK Soccer Association somehow dropped the ball on all the surrounding activities (coaching clinics, banquet, etc.) -- I'm guessing that the steep price of those events had a lot to do with that.

20. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Ya. When I find myself back in OK, I am going to have to try and make that drive a few times and see some games.

I'm assuming Frisco is closer than KC? I've driven to Lawrence in Kansas and that seemed pretty far, wasn't sure how much more KC was though.

21. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    No it's not. Though $20 was rediculous for tickets.

22. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    I'd guess that it's close. If we throw out the cost of food and refreshment as all being equal, then it really comes down to how much gas costs, if you are ride-sharing,

Norman:
    Cost of 4 seats = $100.

Norman-to-Frisco road trip for 4 people:
    Cost of 4 endline tickets (seats) = $16x4 = $64 (listed price for Colorado game)
    Cost of gas (340 mi round trip @ 20 mi/gal @ $2.60/gal) = $44.20
    Total = $108.20

But if you get 30 mi/gal, then your total goes down to about $94 total. Of course, this ignores your stop at McDonalds or whatever on the way down, but I always just drive straight to the Oven.

23. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas

Yeah, I guess it's closer than I thought. Do you know the back way to get to PHP from OKC? Sooooo much quicker than taking something like 121 you just exit at highway 288 north of Denton then after a couple miles exit highway 380 and hang a left. That'll take you all the way to Dallas parkway(AKA the tollway) and you just hang a right on Dallas parkway and that'll take you right to Main St.

Sooooooo much quicker

24. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't $20 buy you the priviledge of sitting on the grass?...... $25 actually got ya a seat???

Still, sorry I missed it... the new work schedule made it impossible... almost called in sick...

25. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Haha. I forget how much cheaper gas is in OK.

Hawaii is about $3.50, and California was even more when I was over there a few weeks ago.

I suppose Frisco is a better place to see a game than Arrowhead as well. I really liked the HDC and would love to see a few more of the new stadiums.

Last time I was in Tulsa I couldn't help but look at the Arena and shake my head. So close, yet so far.