FCD acquires US U20 defender Kyle Davies

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Rex Kramer, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Thanks Rex

Aug 1, 2007
    Plano, TX
  2. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asusme since you guys will be giving something up (daft pick) and have to create a roster spot there's a good possibility Davies will actually play. He fell in the laps of RSL and it would of been difficult for Kyle to get minutes there. I'm glad he's moved on. From what little I've seen the kid looks to have potential. I'm interested to see how this pans out.

4. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know much about him. Something tells me a 20 year-old who couldn't crack the first team at Southhampton is not going to solve anything.

Dear Steve Churundolo,

Please heal up quickly and come back to the states.

Thanks,

Trav-man

5. TheGreatTrollKing

TheGreatTrollKing New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    I thought SH "didn't like kids?"

And who gets cut? Is it Pitchkolan or Dello Russo?

6. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm - trying to follow the Texas Ranger's model for building a franchise? We'll be really good...in about 5 years. :(

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What little I did read about him from across the pond mentioned he was on the verge of breaking into the 1st team. He was on the bench for a few games this season I believe. Southampton have been rooted at or near the bottom on the table all season. They couldn't afford to bring a player along. Plus they are in middle of a financial crisis and were looking to trim every dollar they could. I'm not sure exactly what facilitated this move home. I not sure if Southampton cut him or if he was granted a release. Nonetheless, based on the few times I've seen Kyle, looks to be a player with a bright pedigree.

8. Thedza

Thedza Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Funkytown
    So are we on a quest to add every player we lose out on in these weighted lotteries?

9. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    If SH is willing to plug in Purdy and John, I think he's more ready with 2 years at Southampton

10. Ginge

Ginge New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Everton FC
    At least Hyndman didn't mortgage the farm to get Davies like he did to get Bruno the Great last season.

11. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong I think this move was worth it for a 2nd round pick. I just don't see it helping us much this year. However, maybe playing Davies and John together and letting them learn won't be such a bad thing. We're already giving up loads of goals anyway, might as well have 2 young guys getting more experience while doing it.

12. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    sweet another youth national team player we can sit on the bench!

seriously though, if they acquired him, and don't play him this club needs to be questioned severly. on the bright side, at least they are making efforts to improve the defense potentially. i think davies could start over purdy, john and torres from what i have seen with the youth nats, but mls is grown men so we will see how he adapts.

13. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a second I thought we would have used our allocation to get him - and that would have been dumb.

But I don't see how adding a young, inexperienced defender is going to help our defense. But I don't have the soccer accumen that our coaching duo has.

How much exposure does Ellinger have with this kid?

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    I do like the fact that he's the U-20 captain...shows leadership and we can use as much of that as we can get.

16. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas

San Jose needs him about as bad as we need him. Which I mean he can't be worse than what we already have in our center. I wonder with his experience if some of our defensive lapses would have been corrected or not happened at all. I always liked Pitch. Thought he was a hard worker, when he was in the game, and seemed reliable off the bench. Time to move on i suppose.

17. giggshasscored

Jun 5, 2004
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looking at the timestamps of the posts, Buzz reported this 1 hour 9 minutes before Goff did. Please, lets quote quality sources like 3rdDegree before going to Goff. :D

18. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably more than is legal.

19. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See what sticks.

20. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I am happy for Pitch. I thought he deserved to start last season over Davino, and I thought when Purdy failed he should have been given a shot over John. I am not at trainings, so that isn't a knock against the other guys, just that he was a vet who has shown some ability. He was prone to costly mistakes, but who on this defense isn't eh? Good luck to him, he should be able to start occasionally on the left coast.

21. Pregame Pint

Pregame Pint New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Section 108
    FCD now has FIVE (count 'em) members of the US Under-20 team. Unfortunately not a single one of them has cracked the starting lineup.

22. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    This is a good move. Just like we shouldn't expect a player from a reserve second division german team to come in and start (Purdy), we also shouldn't expect that from Davies. But he certainly has higher upside than Pitch.

Real problem we have is that Torres has never been considered a starter at the MLS level, and he and Wagner combined give us a very weak left side. Getting Cherundolo will be great, but the left side will still suffer.

23. brunomarmos7

brunomarmos7 Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Sorocaba
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlMM6WHkMPo&NR=1"]YouTube - March 16, 2009: Post-game - U-20 MNT 0, CRC 3[/ame]

Yeah, and look at this video. 3 players from FCD!

24. brunomarmos7

brunomarmos7 Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Sorocaba
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agreed. But, to be honest, Torres made a good game, IMO, against Chivas USA (last game).

What about Heath Pearce?

Well, all I know about Heath are the highlits in YouTube and the player skills in FIFA 09.

25. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this may be an unpopular statement but the only thing good that will come from this will be Wally's funny post earlier.
    I wish I could hope for success but simple logic tells me this kid will crash and burn. Why, you ask? Two names: Kreis & Ellinger. One makes almost all good moves and one makes almost all bad moves.
    The kid may be good but he's already jinxed.:cool: