FCD acquires two international roster spots

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by texgator, Jul 18, 2008.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
  2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Brings up an interesting view on the Toja transfer talk. Why trade assets...albiet small ones....for an International slot when one would open up if Toja is sold? Makes me think that FCD has no plans to sell Toja.

3. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    And I thought Saragosa was close to getting a green card, no? How long do they get these spots, until the end of the season? I still hope they bring in a defender who knows how the hell to mark someone.

4. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we going to get someone useful for a change ? I don't want to see anymore Overpaid has-beens plagueing the starting lineup.

5. FC Zippy

FC Zippy Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Midland
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't forget that Ellinger is also making a pit-stop at CAP. I am curious if there is a possibility that Li'l Ricky could be sent home in lieu of another loaner from our Brazilian friends?

6. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, let's send Little Ricky back to the beaches of Brazil!

MLS has got to quit getting duped on deals like John O'Brien, Claudio Reyna, Little Ricky, Dr. Goals, The King of Goals, Denilson, etc.

If we are really as sound a league as we now believe, our talent assessment has got to be better, including our review of physicals and assessment of injury recovery.

I think CAP intends to be a good partner, but we've got to let them know that we're not going to be their pigeon. Little Ricky may have skills, but he sure as hell isn't a forward.

(Can't find the net with both hands!)

7. FC Zippy

FC Zippy Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Midland
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I, personally, would also like to see Li'l Ricky sent back. To me, with the limited number of international slots, there needs to be only two types of foreign players:

1) Starters
    2) Those sent packing back to whence they came.

8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    To be fair, Spanish, Italian and English teams are routinely suckered into buying injury riddled and less-than-advertised players. Let's not pretend that player acquisition is a perfect artform. I think we can all agree it is far from that. Let us also understand that MLS, due to financial constraints, is not in a position to demand players without one or two blemishes....those players go to the top leagues and for top dollar. MLS can't play in that market yet...they are stuck in the "three-legged horse" and "half-blind dog" market.

9. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do we only keep focusing on forwards when it is clear that we have no attack leader in the midfield?

Again, class (pay attention)

1. Columbus sucked -- Insert Schelleto (A-Mid). Problem solved.
    2. Toronto wasn't a threat -- Insert El Lobo (A-Mid). Problem solved.
    3. LA sucked -- Beckham got healthy (A-Mid). Problem solved.
    4. Chicago was inconsistent -- Signed an Aztec King (A-Mid). Problem Solved.
    5. Colorado was going down -- Signed Gomez (A-Mid). Problem solved.
    6. Dallas stinks right now -- Our solution? Go find forwards!

D'Oh!!!!

Who is going to get them the ball? Rocha can handle the wings, but he may not be able to handle the middle.

Dax? Maybe, if we ever get to see him get some game time.

Maybe Rocha and Dax can get it done, and yes, I'd love to get some clinical forwards with speed in here, but Dallas will continue to be second-rate until we solve the attacking midfield problem.

Rocha plays too deep to get that job done, unless Schellas wants to redeploy him forward.

Then there is another problem:

Look at the guys named above: Guillermo, Guevara, Beckingham, Temoc, Gomez. They all give service, but they all have a way of finding the back of the net.

That is the one knock on Andre -- he's like Panchito in that he can't put the ball in the old onion sack. Dax? I think he can, given playing time.

(I'd really like Theo to analyze this situation from Mount Olympus -- this problem needs a review by the Higher Authority).

I just don't want Dallas to continue to be mired in mediocrity. This is wearing on all of us, and some of us have already had enough. Time to think smarter.

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Well, Beckham plays more as a right midfielder than an A-mid.....but your other examples are pretty accurate. No question, quality A-mid is the biggest difference maker in MLS, can't argue with that. I think Sikora is being targeted not as a forward, but as a left midfielder who can cross the ball. I think between Rocha and Dax we have right midfielder wrapped up. And it appears that Avila isn't that far from taking over the real A-mid spot. So I can understand the urgency to find a decent forward to pair up with Cooper.

11. FC Zippy

FC Zippy Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Midland
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, kiddoes....

Let's look at what River Plate and CAP have in the way of DP level forwards...

From River:
    Mauro Rosales A natural SS to "hang with Mr. Cooper?" <<Rock ME!!>>

or short-term solution Ariel Ortega? He can also play #10.

Hummm.... on CAP:
    How about Pedro Oldoni (14 goals in 22 apps)

12. JPB4

JPB4 Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Buenannotte, por favor! :)

Yeah right, so far from reality I didn't even bother to spell his name correctly, I don't think.

But there is no doubt CAP, and maybe more importantly River Plate, can be an asset. We are 1 for 2 with Cap, Ricardhino - miss, Rocha - hit. I'd like to go the River route and see what they might have, very good and physical football is played in Argentina, vs. the no-touch, no-contact style of the brazilians.

13. Quills

Quills Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Richardson
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do these international slots expire (this year, next year?) or are they ours to keep forever?

14. FC Dizzle

FC Dizzle Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    until MLS calls and tells us the Galaxy needs one. then it will get taken from us

15. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    agreed.
    here is the problem with that statement, no one was duped into any of those players. O"Brien was a star at the WC and they knew he was an injury risk. CUSA was a terrible team willing to take a chance on him staying healthy for a bit to get a return. If not, what happens? They stay crappy? So what. Reyna was a hometown kid, but again, his injury history isnt a secret. They took an educated guess he would play more than he did, and if they didnt sign him, they would be slaughtered for it. Ricardino was a Morrow choice, just like Rocha is. They asked for these players, CAP didnt say take these guys or we are through! The King of Goals has returned to scoring goals btw. Remember for all the guys you mentioned, you get some like ROB, Toja, C Gomez, Javier Morales. Its very hit or miss in player acquistion on a small budget.

What has any of these teams won with these players you mention? I count 0 trophies. I will not argue that each and everyone of them has made each team better, and more entertaining to watch. But you say problem solved as if these teams are all winning something other than meaningless regular season games. Dallas has done that. We throttled them for not being able to get out of the first round. If you want to reference teams that actually win something, look no further than DC and Houston. Both had A Mids, plus two forwards who could score goals on whatever chances come their way, while having a defense that shuts teams down so you can win 1-0. It's not a magic pill to get a A Mid and you win, you have to have a complete team. Which is why I hope Dallas doesn't use a DP again, and allocates that money to 3 or so players making them a better TEAM not marketing tool.

And I am sorry if this reads as if I picking on you. I just am tired of hearing this argument for any team.

16. Skeeter

Skeeter New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Texas
    I agree with paladius, I think the A mid is more important then a striker. I think Cooper is a #1 striker. I would be happing bringing in a less expensive option like George Welcome (or the like) to challenge Oduro for the other forward. Either way, I am happy to see that the leadership is making moves. They may fail, but at least it is an effort. That is all I have been asking for.

River Plate Wish List:
    1) Mighty Mouse
    2) Matías Abelairas
    Most Likely we are looking at Ariel Ortega. That will work.

17. JaySlick

JaySlick New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Arlington
    ive only seen ortega a few times on tv but he was dominant and a quality #10 in the games which i saw, i know he's old etc, but he was one of the better players on the pitch when i saw him.

18. GoldFinger

GoldFinger New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Just for the remainder of the 2008 season.

19. thomhipp

thomhipp New Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How likely are we to get Ortega? The Jedi archive lists him as the captain and that he was special to the coach.

I say we forget these strikers and go for more midfielders! Give me Sambueza!

20. Skeeter

Skeeter New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Texas
    I would say it is very likely. He had a falling out with the coach a few weeks ago and openly said that he wants to continue his career with another team.

21. accion

accion Member

Nov 28, 1998
    dfw, texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think there is a very good chance for Burrito Ortega to come to fcd. There were quite a few discussions since the end of the season if he would stay or go, but he and the president, aguilar, came to an agreement for him to stay . I don't see them going back on it now, if he was going to leave he would have already left. Ortega and Cholo Simeone haven't worked that well together, mainly because of Ortega's alcohol problems. He is a huge idol for River but he has his demons.

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

As was Denilson....in 1998.

23. FC Dizzle

FC Dizzle Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    dominating in the Argentinian league is a little different than dominating in the Qatar League.. not that Denilson was even doing that..

EDIT: my bad. 1998 he wasnt playing in Qatar

24. fennsk

fennsk New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    the interesting thing to me is that these slots are only through the rest of the year. That bodes for a sizable turnaround in the offseason. Whoever they sign in this window will, hopefully, be sticking around. Then you have to unload at least two of the current internationals. Ricardinho's a no brainer, and if teams up their transfer fees for Toja, that'll happen, too. I'd bet they go further than that to bring in new internationals as well. Everyone on the roster should recognize that they have to step up.

25. Skeeter

Skeeter New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Texas
    And surely Saragosa will have his Green Card by then...if he is still around that is. I think this is a fabulous move any way you slice it. It gives us a shot this season and doesn't hamstring us in the future. See Zippy, I don't hate your boy SH. It is Hyndman pulling the strings here right? Or is Hitch in control and has just been sandbagging all this time? ;)