FCB - Panionios UEFA [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Kobranzilla, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.panionios.gr/

FCB's next opponent in the Uefa cup.

nice colors :)

Looks liek they have had a similar start to the Greek league.

1 win
    4 ties
    1 loss

They beat a Danish team to make it to this round.

2. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panionios, not to be confused w/ Panthaniakos. Or the other Greek power...I forget the name.

3. The2ndMouse

The2ndMouse New Member

A descent team in Greece and a cradle for some of the best players ever to play in Greece too! They have great Accademies!

However, I cannot see Panionios becoming a serious threat against Barca! Unless Barca are in a total suicide mode as they use to in the last 3 - 4 years!

I think Barcelona will give Panionios a good cash injection thanks to the big venue for them and a terrible night in the pitch! But I hope for the best!

4. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Olimpiakos?

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    A nice welcome change, imo, its that Rustu will start

8. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Laporta and co. want to sell Rustu, he has to get some matches in to prove he's still in form for transfer possibilities, as well as his National team spot for Turkey, FR is costing Barca money by having him on the roster..not playing him and also not making him an attractive transfer opportunity...maybe he'll be Loaned ASAP

9. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good to know that Kluivert is not bitching about not starting.

11. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 At Half-time Luis Garcia in the 42nd

12. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Crap, Kluivert Scored as soon as he got in the game!?!?! He came on for Saviola after half-time.

13. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT

3-0

FORCA BARCA

Once again Barca gave a good, solid display in beating Panionios in Athens 3-0 tonight, with goals from Luis Garcia, Kluivert and Xavi.

Luis García, Quaresma and yet again Ronaldinho were Barca's sharpest performers, and Rijkaard gave a start to both keeper Rustu and Marquez as a defensive midfielder alongside Xavi.

The fans were pushing the home side forward, but Panionios played a pretty conservative game, giving Barca, who improved as the game went on, time and space to play their game. In fact, the Greeks only had 2 shots on target in the first half and one less in the second. Luis Garcia looked incisive throughout, grabbing the first goal with quite some help from the keeper, whilst Kluivert, who came on at half time for Saviola, got the second and Xavi finished the game off in injury time.

All in all it was one of Barca's most solid performances, with the team looking comfortable together, creating plenty of goal scoring opportunities and not allowing their opponents the sniff of a chance.

Domination from the start

Although it was the Greeks who got the first shot in, from Kontis on 9 minutes, Barca dominated possession and with Quaresma shining both in attack and defence, the team soon began to open up spaces for the Portuguese winger and the mobile Luis García and Saviola.

On 18 minutes, a great combination between Ronaldinho and Van Bronkhorst set up Luis García, whose close range shot went just wide. Three minutes later a long range Marquez effort nearly caught the local keeper out and then on 24, Ronaldinho was brought down in a dangerous position, but was unable to convert the free kick.

Luis García gets first Barca goal

Panionios had their second chance on 26 minutes, when Giuliano shot high from the edge of the box. It was Barca who went ahead though, when Luis Garcia broke his duck in a Barca shirt on 42 minutes

Change up front

At half time, Frank Rijkaard brought Kluivert on for Saviola and the Dutchman paid dividends almost immediately, getting onto the end of a move by Marquez and Luis Garcia to fire home.

On 52, Ronaldinho swerved past his marker and sent in a sizzling shot that the keeper did well to stop and 3 minutes later, Klimeck's header, straight at Rustu, proved to be the Greek's only chance of the half.

Relaxed final minutes

With the result looking safe, Rijkaard took the opportunity to make changes, swapping Ronaldinho for Luis Enrique on 62 minutes and Overmars for Quaresma 10 minutes later. As the game wound down, Drobny made good saves, first stopping a Xavi shot from the edge of the box, then a Luis Enrique effort after a good one two with Kluivert, before denying Luis Garcia his second on 79 minutes. Finally Xavi put the game to bed with an injury time free kick that should ensure Barca go through after the return tie later this month.

14. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What website did this come from Kob?

15. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry forgot the link...that was from FCBarcelona.com

16. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Forza Barca, again 3 goals (4 matches - 12 goals!!!)

Isnt Marquez a defender, why did he played as miedfilder?! I cant understand why FR plays Marquez as a miedfielder and Cocu as a defender.
    It seems that he use 4 defenders in defensive moves and three defenders and three miedfielders and attacking moves?

Finally Rustu played. As a read in text he didnt have much work to do, but anyway how did he played???

Great we are in 3rd round in UEFA CUP.

17. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Marquez has played midfield/pivot before for the Mexican Nat'l. team. He's very offensive minded while retaining quality marking skill(s).

1 assist and 1 near-chip in. Nice to see him playing, and aggressively forward, mind you.

D@mn that FR!

BTW, Anyone play the new FIFA 2004 game? Barca, Man U. and Madrid are awesome on it.

18. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Força Barça!!!

19. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I don't think Marquez is big enough to battle the larger strikers in the back four in Europe, but I'm glad to see him doing well in the midfield.

20. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also like that he used all his SUbs so that Gaucho's legs wont be dead for the SUnday match against Los Beticos

21. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally..he's learning, I just wish he'd sub Puyol once in a while. Jeez..its 3-0 let Quaresma stay out there...push Marquez in the back put in Xavi come on!

We need Puyol just as much as we need Ronnie.

22. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I take offence to that. Marquez is my boy.

Which larger strikers are we talking about here?

In the WC, He handled Vieri and Pipo well. Same with the Croatians.

In the past, He's been one of the better defenders when Monaco was in the Uefa cup.

Marquez also played outstanding in the Brazil/Rest of World match where he shut down Ronaldo.

But yeah, I don't think anyone can mark that Czech Jan Koeller or whatever. :(

23. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I like Marquez in either defense or midfield and I'd like to give him a try as Guardiola used to play!

24. Jay Clark

Jay Clark New Member

May 21, 2001
    Wrigleyville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    good point DFR. If Puyol gets hurt on a lazy tackle or something in the dying minutes of that game, it would be ridiculous. And given our luck with injuries the last couple years, thats EXACTLY the way it would happen.

25. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Im glad for Garcia, he deserved a shot since the VERY begining, I said I was satisfied when Barça re-signed him and now it pays off! :)