Alert: FC Porto vs. Manchester United | 4/15/09 | CL QF, 2nd leg [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by pgr17, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Giggs is starting. He didn't start Sat, he will start this match.

2. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I would put the odds of Nani starting about the same as Welbeck.

3. Simply Red

Simply Red Member

Feb 15, 2007
    I´m going for

----------VDS----------
    JOS--Rio--Vidic--Evra
    -Fletch-Carrick-Giggs-
    --Ronaldo-Rooney----
    -------Tevez-----------

I think the fact that Berba is not fit for 90 minutes but, could maybe play a part at some stage, and also a hungry Macheda on the bench, will make us start with Ron, Roo and Tevez, knowing there are options on the bench if it is needed. This midfield and attack has a great understanding of each other, and also have a lot of CL experience.

My only doubt is whether or not Park starts over Tevez. I hope not. Park should be fresher this game then the last two, but I still think the above team carry a bigger goalthreat and also is the best unit in a must win game.

4. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I like this lineup, but I'd rather start with Berbatov and bring Tevez (or Macheda!) on as a sub. I'm just tired of watching Tevez being too short to get on the end of crosses, and falling down chasing balls. Maybe he's been tired lately, but I'd rather watch another method of failing to score. This one's getting dull.

5. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think this is the most likely lineup;

---------------VDS-----------------
    O'Legend----Vida---Rio/Evans---Evra
    ----------Fletcher---Carrick---------
    Ronaldo--------Giggs-----Park/Tevez
    ---------------Rooney--------------

I cant see Porto changing their strategy as it was pretty effective last time. I would think we will see them come out and press hard in midfield and attack. If they sit back and play defensively we will score.

From our boys we will need to see them fight hard from kick off. Particularly Fletcher and Carrick. This will be a tough win to get in a tricky away fixture.

Doing it easy is of course, not an option. 2-1 to us.

6. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I agree with that lineup except I'd switch Rooney and Tevez.
    lol

7. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm taking this one for the team. Left Mardi Gras early to watch a 0-0 draw with Inter. I pretended to be sick and left work early to watch a 2-2 draw with Porto. I'm staying my ass at work Wednesday which will guarantee a win and passage through to the semis...:D

8. juntingyeung

juntingyeung New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Manchester's defence needs to be quicker. Last time Evans was too slow against West Ham. They need to tighten up, otherwise we'll win Porto!!!!!!!!:D

9. Simply Red

Simply Red Member

Feb 15, 2007
    I was thinking about that as well. Rooney seems to be the better of the two to run of the shoulder of defenders.

However my arguments for having Tevez on top is:
    - Rooney covers greater distances than Tevez
    - with the lack of creativity and dominans from our midfield it might be better to have Rooney in a freer role so that he can take charge of our play.
    - Rooney´s rightfooted crosses from the left is usually very good and Ronaldo can take advantage of that
    - Rooney is faster than Tevez, so our counter-attack with Ronaldo and Rooney running up the field will be more fluent
    - Finally, Tevez is pretty good up top when he has pacy players around him.

In the end they will probably rotate doing shifts throughout the game. We´ll see.

10. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    The funny thing is, you're right about all those points. What worries me though is that Tevez cannot seem to be able to trap a ball properly, which means no hold up play, which means helter skelter football. I'm not saying Rooney is way better than him in this role(in fact, Rooney playing alone seems to frustrate him more than most things, and he might get himself sent off:rolleyes:) but I much prefer Tevez further back in the build up to attacks rather than finishing them off. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens.

11. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree too. Wouldn't be shocked if they switch.

Not too sure about Nani, it could do him good having a game in Portugal, he COULD play well :)

Good thing Rio is back, let's hope he is fit for the starting line up.

12. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7976970.stm

Rio Ferdinand has been included in the Manchester United squad that travelled to Portugal for Wednesday's Champions League quarter-final second leg.

He missed last week's 2-2 draw with Porto because of a groin injury.

But the 30-year-old England international will partner Nemanja Vidic in the centre of United's defence if he is passed fit for the second leg.

Anderson and full-back Rafael da Silva, who have both been carrying injuries, are also in the squad.

United are aiming to become the first English team to beat Porto on their own ground.

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak; Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Rafael, Fabio, O'Shea, J. Evans; Ronaldo, Anderson, Scholes, Gibson, Carrick, Park, Nani, Giggs; Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Macheda.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Fletch is a disaster. Funny how he has become so important. He was our best hope of some energy in midfield to close down Porto.

13. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    What happened to Fletcher?

Maybe that's why Anderson was 'rushed' back for the weekend.

Anderson, Carrick, Giggs in midfield?

Mr. Carrick is going to have to put in the shift of his life

14. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Exactly, i didn't see anything on Fletch being out except he is not included in the squad...

15. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Same. Probably too much too ask, but am hoping that the guy writing the Porto blog on Manutd.com simply forgot him. That's where the beeb seem to have got their list as it's in the same order.

16. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    If Fletcher is fit, Fletcher is in the squad.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We may be looking at a Giggs/Carrick CM, perhaps supported by Rooney on the left and Park on the right if Fletch is not fit. Ronnie and Berbs up top.

18. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    it wouldn't surprise me to see that Fletcher has picked up the "virus" that has plagued so many of our players this season. or maybe he forgot to check-in...

19. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    Giggs and Carrick in CM is asking for problems.

20. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Where the hell is Fletch?

This is not bueno.

21. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Travelling squad: Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak; Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Rafael, Fabio, O'Shea, J. Evans; Ronaldo, Anderson, Scholes, Gibson, Carrick, Park, Nani, Giggs; Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Macheda. School holidays means there are plenty of fans at the airport to see the team off.

I think all of you will be surprised to see rafael start. I think he will. I like to see Anderson and fletcher in the middle, they add freshness and hustle and will and good passing. nani on the left and not on the right as he cannot help rafael out, ronaldo on the right, with rooney and giggs dropping just behind him. If this is the lineup we ll win comfortably. I thin they key is to counter the formation of Porto, whatever they play which 4-3-3 we have to counter that... that is key, and not play our own game. Kind of the way we beat chelski 3-0, we countered their formation ...

22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The Backline

Carrick
    Fletcher
    Anderson

Giggs
    Ronaldo
    Rooney

Bring on Tevez for one of Andeson and GIggs,

Very highly unlikely, but this line up would be the closest thing we have to a good running midfield, who can keep up with Porto.

23. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    You can only have 18 players for the game. We have 23 here. Without Kuszczak - 22. So at least 4 players would be out. And if Fletch is included, then 5 would be out from this list, not counting Kuszczak.
    Rafael, Fabio, Gibson, Nani (?), Macheda (?)

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC