FC NYC '09 News

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by Redknapp11, Mar 31, 2009.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have a question for you. Let's say that FCNY delivers on all promises, by building a SSS and capturing the much sought after Latino market in Queens, do you think that Wilpon stands a chance in MLS? Do you think that he might either bow out or end up buying out FCNY?

2. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think that might be the goal of the USL team. Honestly, a true NYC identity is all that most soccer fans need. It would guarantee 10,000 a game and a true venture capitalist would be ready for the $$$. However, FCNY needs to get on putting this team near a subway line...but first, within the city limits.

3. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    The question as I see it is, if Wilpon starts an MLS team in Queens, does FCNY stand a chance?

4. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well Wilpon after the Madoff scandall went into hibernation. Obviously it has affected him, to what degree I don't know. I can only assume that he has been shoring up his key businesses. After that's done, they will probably look to see what next.

In the meantime, FCNY stands a chance to really connect with the NYC community. If they do connect and the people come out then will Wilpon's millions be enough to over take the tide? At which point, wouldnt buying them out (FCNY) be the solution?

5. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island

It's just my opinion, but the short answer is that yes, Wilpon's millions will be enough to over take the tide. I just don't see even a very successful USL1 team hurting, or even being able to compete with, an MLS team in the same market. To me, the second that MLS announces a Queens based NYC team is the second that FCNY begins fighting for its survival. I know that sounds harsh, especially since FCNY hasn't even played a game yet, but that's how I see it. I think it would be a tremendous accomplishment simply for FCNY to survive in the shadow of Mets FC, or whatever it's called.

Having said that, this area might be the only area in the country that might actually be able to support 2 MLS teams and a USL1 team.

6. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Interesting. I'm of the opinion that if FCNY or any club for that matter, can capture the identity of NYC it will rule. Yes I know that there is a step difference between MLS and USL but I find the NYC might be the determining factor in the diminishing of the distance. Again ONLY in NYC. I'm not completely sure that it could occur in any other market.

Nice dream. From your lips to gods ears as they say. NYC would be one heck of a town with a set up like that. You never know, the pieces are in place, and if FCNY works out and can set up an SSS within city limits, it might and can give it a go even if Wilpon buys into MLS.

It would be the best case scenario and one that I would embrace completely.

7. metrostars1969

metrostars1969 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    I don't think that we'll have 2 MLS teams and 1 USL in NYC. In fact, I'm not sure that we'll have 2 MLS teams in the near future.

(This is only a guess but...) I think MLS will cap the league at 20 teams for the near future. That means that we will only see 2 more teams. I think the MLS honchos would like to add another team in the middle of the country (St. Louis). The historical importance of St. Louis only makes them more attractive.

This leaves only one additional spot. If MLS picks the strongest USL team to "promote" then it will be the Montreal Impact. Otherwise they will go with the best business offer. I'm afraid that the Madoff hit to the Wilpon family fortune and the economic hit that all MLB teams are feeling has taken the Wilpons away from the planning table for now.

The final factor is the size of this country. I don't believe that MLS wants 2 teams in one city. They want to maximize their TV footprint to lure better TV deals. We all know that Chivas will be moving at some point and I don't think that they will want to but another team in a current MLS market.

8. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Considering the current economic climate, maybe you are right, but they are speaking of the market having reached bottom and the expectations of it recovering by Sept.

I doubt that the Wilpons or any major corp looks at their business solely in the short term. They have to have long term goals to accomplish regardless of the climate in which they are doing business. Short of a major economic depression, where we see unemployment reach 25%, I don't see them drastically changing their long term goals. Might take longer to get to but they will be acheived none the less.

Having said all that, I still see your point and consider it a very legitimate condition, at the moment, for this league.

9. metrostars1969

metrostars1969 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    You are correct as well. The Wilpons are looking farther than this year or next year (and that is when this decision will be made.)

I am afraid that MLS will make this a TV market decision (like NHL did with their expansion) and NY will miss out on having a NYC team to match up with NJ Red Bulls.

10. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    you own a canoe?

12. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No :p

Strangely enough you could canoe to Governors Island, (a few people do it from the Gowanus believe it or not), its not that far.

However, I'll just take a ferry.:)

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Kayak too. Nevertheless, as far as I know, there isn't any ferry service to governor's island. Correct me if I'm wrong.

14. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  15. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's sporadic though, and i think only on weekends, unless they changed that.
    anyway...there's no way the city would let them put a stadium on that island.

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    yeah, it only shows ferry service for this weekend.