FC Dallas - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 7/2) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 30, 2005.

1. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [radio show voice] tune in saturday for the conclusion of "when forces meet" [/radio show voice]

2. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well here is some focus...this will be the second leg of the soon to come Lone Star Derby. :D

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all due respect to my good friend from Texas, I do not join him in that post. I hope that San Jose keeps their team and that Houston gets an expansion team.

4. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

They tie......0-0 :p

5. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    W/ chitcago in the East, I do not want to wait until 2007 for an expansion team. Let the SJ supporters get their investors lined up and get their expansion team in 2007.

I say that in true jest... I concur w/ Drum'rboy. It was my feeble attempt to get pumped for this game...It's Friday & my beloved FCD is 9 points ahead of two California teams and has a decent chance to get 3 more tomorrow night... and you bastards knocked us out of the playoffs last year in what was supposed to be the last game in the fabled Cotton Bowl :mad:

6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's really how you feel, try not to show so much glee about it on other boards.

7. Foolish

Foolish New Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Sec113

I suppose this means he's expecting losses... :( 'cuz when did he ever subscribe to the "change a winning team" philosophy?

I won't shed any tears if Russell never travels. He's one player who sadly has never recovered from the repeat injuries. He's too tentative for speed, and without that he's too predictable.

8. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ah, we don't need a cup (at least I don't want one). It's not that kind of rivalry. We don't play those games to win a trophy, we play them to grind the Galaxy into the ground. Where they belong. :)

Sounds great, I'm hoping to make it (regardless of who's playing)!

9. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make sure you come by our tailgate area for a brat and a beer good times all around. All MLS team supporters are welcome except chitcago.

10. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Chitcago fans are in fact welcome - they just have to pass certain physical endurance tests first. :D

11. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I've been pretty consistent on this topic - I'd love to have a team in Houston. I'd rather it not be at the expense of San Jose. I will be sad for you and the fans of the Earthquakes if the team is relocated, but not to the point of ignoring the fact that we finally have a road trip that is less than 8 hours (and going to KC every year is relatively boring after you've done it for nine years.)

So yes, I will be sad for you guys, but in the end, I will not let it hold me back from enjoying having a team in Houston.

So, I'll reiterate what I said - I hope that San Jose keeps their team and that Houston gets an expansion team. That IS my hope. And I didn't think it was necessary or appropriate to rub the possibility of the move in your faces. It is a sad possibility.

I would agree with you that it isn't fair and support you in your frustration, hurt and anger. I can only imagine what it must be like (although we went through some fearful times during the contraction period.) If you want to put a petition together to say the team should stay in SJ, I'll sign it. Frankly, I think it is bad business to not find an ownership group who will have the foresight to see that it is better to keep the consistency of the team in San Jose.

But since it is out of my hands, at the end of the day, I will also not hesitate to enjoy the benefits of it if it works out that way. Just like while I hated the loss of Tampa and Miami, I did not hesitate to enjoy the financial health the league gained from the move. That was such a turning point for the league, dark as that day may have been. I know there were die hard fans in TB and Miami, and their loss is painful. But it was a move made at a level higher than I can influence (which is pretty much anything other than minor stuff with the way Dallas treats us in The Inferno), and luckily, apparently the league was right.

Not sure what else I can say.

12. Moneypenny

Moneypenny New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Modesto
    "Yeah, but everyone on there agrees that we are going to smack you around for 90 minutes.....this is more fun."

It will be even more fun to see you eat crow.

13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, just wait for it to actually happen before you start planning your road trips.

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Hey noob....care to make a wager?

15. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is safe to say that there will be a team in Houston - it is just a matter of how and when.

And considering I have done at least one 12+hour road trip every year (and this year did trips to Colorado and Salt Lake), I think I've earned the right to be happy about a four hour trip.

16. Moneypenny

Moneypenny New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Modesto

Oh, oh.. bring it.. ha!!

17. Moneypenny

Moneypenny New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Modesto
    And another thing you live in Frisco and you aren't a quakes fan?

18. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    *Smacks head*

Take a few hours....start reading around BigSoccer.....learn some stuff....then get back to me.

**Hint** Frisco ain't in California. San Francisco is.

19. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Okay....seeing as how neither of us pay for a "premium" membership we can't do the "sig line" bet. How about if FCD wins you write a 200 word post on both the Quakes and FCD boards and I get to choose the Thread title and subject matter? If the Quakes win I do the same. Deal??

20. Moneypenny

Moneypenny New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Modesto
    While it may be true I'm a newbie and don't know much about the posters here I'm a quick study and willing to learn.

So, my first lesson that I've learned about you is that you're not from the world famous Frisco, i.e.. San Fran by the bay, but some lesser city.. it's ok though you're still loved, I'm sure. :)

21. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Great...now tell me why this "lesser" Frisco should be important to you.

22. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    It's in Texas, everything's smaller in Texas.

23. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's compare Texas and the Bay area, shall we?

And let's just stick to sports.

Gridiron football - who has the last NFL champsionship between the two?
    NHL - same question. (Stars v. who?)
    NBA - same question. (Take your pick - Houston, San Antonio)
    MLB - well, neither one of us is doing very well there these days, so we'll punt that one.

Now when it comes to soccer, you do have two MLS Cups to our one USOC. But so far this year, things are not looking so good for you. I mean, you have how many games against expansion teams and your results have been what? One win and three ties.

Let's just take recent results, then. We played Colorado in Colorado and won, 3-1, without basically our starting forwards and the guy who even you acknowledge as one of the best central midfielders in the league. You played the Rapids at home with pretty much everyone and had to settle for a 1-0 win.

So, just to keep it on topic, for tomorrow, the big shoulders are in Dallas. Let's not waste time trying to argue otherwise, shall we? And if we win, no big deal as we should be favored in the match. If you win, you feel on top of the world. But wait - you'd still be six points back.

Come on people, *some* perspective, huh? I don't mind talking about the game - I like talking positives and negatives for both teams - I like knowing my team better because of it, same as yours. But other folk on this thread have done a good job separating what they hope from what the number say. But let's not get all delusional here and start thinking that your team is going to whip up on us like some playyard bully when we all know that isn't in the cards.

24. Moneypenny

Moneypenny New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Modesto
    Naw, actually I was given a link by a nice poster and also I googled so my apologies for not knowing of your city.

Besides, some people don't like the slang term Frisco for San Francisco but it was the only one I personally was aware of..

Now moving on to the bet. That could be doable.

25. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Exactly (see bold text above :D)

Seriously though, I do give Dallas credit this year for building a very exciting team. I am very worried about ROB and I think we'd be doing great if we got a point in this game. However, we'll have to wait and see if Dallas has what it takes to win the MLS Cup, they still have to prove themselves in the playoffs and I'm thinking they might just have a hard time getting past us if we have everyone healthy later in the year.