Post-match: FC Dallas - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 2/24) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    Looks like another year of uninspired, apathetic play, what a massive surprise lol, who could have seen this coming?

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I am probably getting into the confirmation bias space with Gruezo where I just notice the bad things, but there were a few plays that really stood out to me. The last one, fairly late in the game, he intercepted the ball just in our attacking half of midfield, or should I say the ball came to him, and there were several attacking players that were options for a pass. He had a guy coming up behind him but for some reason, instead of passing forward to the numerous attacking options he had, he kicked the ball behind him over his head towards our own goal! Not only that, but that pass resulted in a turnover, and now Dallas is heading the other way and he's behind the play. :facepalm

I would like to see what we look like with Morales in his spot.

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Luchi looked pretty distressed / frustrated in the postgame, and either he only took 3 questions (one in Spanish) or the Aftershock guys got there late. He was cordial enough and thoughtful and trying to stay positive all that as usual, but you could see the distress on his face. Luchi is on at about 22:45.

4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say every single person here is predictable with their posts including mine

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Well, at this point I don't even care enough to post. Oops, I guess I just did.

Never mind... :(

markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  6. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    I just saw Kaitlyn's tag line and that is something to smile about! :thumbsup:

Kaitlyn repped this.
  7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you have 20 things from a game, in the post-game thread everyone can comment on 5 of those things where they can say "this was just what I suspected would happen"...

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully not too Crouchy. When he made his big switch to Liverpool he didn't score in his first 19 games, over 24 hours of playing time! He's big, he's red, his feet stick out of bed! Peter Crouch, Peter Crouch!

BCaso18 and mjlee22 repped this.
  9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Dallas was missing 5 of their starters, 3 of which are DP's, and they still played us off the field.

Same as it ever was. :(

10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd say we played ourselves off the field. Came out raring to play, scored our goal, and reverted to a mix of inept defense and halfhearted offense.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    If we hadn’t given up that dumb goal at the very end I think the narrative about the game would have been at least semi-positive or neutral. We played OK. A point in the road. Most of the new guys looked promising. But it’s the nature of fandom for the evaluation of the entire game to be strongly shaped by what happened at the very end. Illogical, because what happened in minutes 0-93 is what happened in minutes 0-93 regardless of what happened in minute 94, but fandom is by definition not logical so there you have it.

12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My family can back me up on this: when we got into stoppage, I said "someone is going to score, and they'll win the game" -- our team was hustling then, and I was still hopeful. But yeah, it's probably not as bad as most of us feel.

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    People poke fun at it, but I think xG is a reasonable way to evaluate how well we did irrespective of results. It was 2.4 for Dallas, 1.7 for us, so not terrible, for a road game. 1.7 is better for us - last year we were often under 1, especially for road games. But 2.4 for them is pretty bad for our defense. BTW probably about 1.5 of that 1.7 xG is due to Benji's shots.

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Albeit facetiously, out of all the former players, I think Scott Sealy’s name has been mentioned most on the boards since the Quakes re-inception in 2008.

Now his son comes back to haunt us 12 years later.

What a joke!

Anyway, I really like the new, rivived old NASL Quakes colors, and logo.

Please go back to RED, BLACK & WHITE permanently!

[​IMG]

bsman, BCaso18 and Beerking repped this.
  15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    spock-emotions-screenshot-hulu.jpg

Yes people, illogical. Leitch needs more time before he can be expected to have our team ready to go on opening day, he's only been with the team for 15 years.

Logically we almost earned a point against a Dallas team that had none of their DP's available.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  16. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Pretty "meh" and about what I expected, except I actually expected to end in a draw. I thought, surely this won't happen 2 years in a row.

Yep, it did.

To add insult to injury, my shiny new jersey is delayed with no ETA :(

We have a decent number of homegrowns - where are Medina and tsakiris? Don't we also have other young players who can stir things up? Like I said in preseason, if we're going to be mediocre, let's at least be young, exciting, and mediocre.

17. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Tsakaris is injured. We don't have other young players ready for first team duty, from what I can see. I think we risk another Cade scenario if we try to rush them in too soon.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Dallas had none of their DPs but we also didn’t have 3 of our projected starters starting. It’s early in the season - almost every team is not yet at full strength due to transfers not fully integrated into the team, etc. But sure Dallas was missing more than us. They were also playing at home, where MLS teams usually dominate.

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Verhoeven can contribute this year but there are 2 good players in front of him. He’ll probably get some minutes this year. He started a game or 2 in preseason.

20. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    everyone was available as starter or sub, except our new CB. we saw four
    of our new players. granted, its a small sample size, but we weren't much better with those guys on the field, not yet anyway. maybe with time.

21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    which of our kids are really ready for first team action now, ahead of Verhoeven?

22. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So it's OK for Dallas because they spent 8 mil, but not OK for the Quakes because?

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I meant at his position there are a few players, not kids, ahead of him on the depth chart.

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stay in school, kids!