FC Dallas Parts Ways with Daniel Hernandez.

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by 3rd Degree, Dec 15, 2012.

1. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    profiled repped this.
  2. germ75

germ75 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Frisco
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so confused right now-

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I am not sure this team has any idea what it wants to do or even how to do it.

Parrothead FC repped this.
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good grief.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is incredibly odd. Makes the FCD FO look like they have no clue what they're doing. Exactly how do you get fired during an early 3 week span into the off season?

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Now that's bizarre..................................

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is this offseason freak show over yet?

8. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Which is worse, the season or offseason? either way, it is time for a beer.

9. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    So.... Um..... Maybe he didn't beat his wife enough?

Very confused.

10. dudeman22

dudeman22 Member

May 19, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of aggravating really. Hopefully we'll get an explanation, because this off season has been shady enough.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The disappointing season is in the past & can't be fixed.....................there's still hope for a big splash in the off-season to lift our spirits!!!!

12. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm going to guess there's some undisclosed reason he was suddenly let go, especially given the long term relationship between DH and SH, it's not like they got together and just sort of realized it wasn't going to work all of a sudden.

Pretty sad that the default reaction among the fans is that the FO has no idea what it's doing.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, this has to be it. Something big must have happened, I mean we saw very clearly last season that even when he was garbage, DH was a SH boy who took a lot to even get benched.

14. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hernandez did not want to retire after this season. He was locked in a contract for 2 more years and FCD basically told him "you're now a coach, or you can hit the road". Since he's not a player that can just be released, they had to fire him. Hernandez probably saw Luccin practicing, said "this guy? This is my replacement? Really!?" and FCD said, "love it or leave it". This is only speculation.

FlashMan, SoccerPrime and 3rd Degree repped this.
  15. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I'm in agreement with this guess. I'm pretty sure the team told DH they wanted to get younger at that spot and when they sign a 33 yr old who hasn't played in two years, well I think he just didn't want a part of it or said something and was told to blow off.

In the weeks leading up to the end of the season DH was very adamant to the media he wanted to play another season, but suddenly he was retiring. It was all very, very odd. This actually may explain it.

16. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I want to add this is another example of my frustrations with how this team is handling news...

Once again something significant has happened and the team seemingly has zero communication plans. Signings happen when everyone is out of town, bad things happen and we find out from everyone else other than the club and there just seems to be a disconnect in how PR is handled.

Whatever happened with DH did so on wed/thurs but it was Saturday sources outside the club bring it to our attention...

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was let go by mutual agreement to find another playing gig why was the word fired used and not rebutted since then. This is either a blowup that resulted in a firing or PR stupidity of the highest order in allowing a former captain to be labeled fired if indeed they just worked out a mutual release.

burning247 repped this.
  18. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    To be clear. Sources told Buzz that he'd been fired or let-go. We contacted DH directly and he confirmed it via text, but he didn't use the word "fired". Later SH also confirmed DH wasn't with the club to us in a phone call but he declined to explain any detail.

It is 100% possible that DH chose to leave, but that is not how it's been explained via our multiple sources.

in no way have we been given the impression that it was "mutual".

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK that makes it seem less likely to be a firing but why let it linger as a possibility? Why not a short press release explaining he wasn't ready to only coach and was looking elsewhere to keep playing. It makes it look like something bad happened when it is probably just simple business and a player not ready to quit playing which happens all the time in every sport. They could have added he was welcome to come back and coach once his playing days were over.

20. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Well that would require a solid PR plan. To be fair to the FCD pr staff, they are smart, experienced people so I'm not sure that what's going on is a lack of direction from above. Considering Quinn is working hard to explain the NYC situation as nothing more than "self defense", he's probably not paying attention.

21. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was semi-drunk when I posted that, so I will admit to using your theory about Luccin based on your tweet from earlier yesterday and not giving you proper credit. The other part was my theory but it was sort of solidified based on your speculation tweet.

22. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically I can't wait until the season starts so we can talk about actual games rather than all this off the field junk.

I hope this parting of the ways with DH was more amicable than unfriendly, but it doesn't really sound like it.

23. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    While it makes the club look stupid, I am joining the predominant thought that either Hernandez didn't care for being forced into retirement or didn't appreciate losing his spot to a guy like Luccin. Either way, I didn't like the idea of him being a coach, so for me it's not a big loss. Perhaps now we can hire someone with actual coaching experience that can help out.