FC Dallas Partners with Time Warner Cable for TV Broadcasts

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Pegasus, Feb 24, 2013.

1. RTU01

RTU01 New Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a TWC subscriber it was a nice surprise to see the games in HD. I wasn't aware of the deal.

2. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    man it was a pretty nice picture and production...now if only they could fix the camera so the game was ID but sturm isnt :p

3. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I went ahead and plucked down the money and bought MLS Live. I'm happy FCD and TW agreed to lift any and all blackout restrictions for their broadcasts. Though, living in Fort Worth, I'd likely be considered out of market anyway. I figure I could easily make the money up in gas and tolls alone with just one less road trip to Frisco.

4. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Saturday's game vs Salt Lake is on Univision Deportes. A channel I get for the third week in a row! Buenissimo!

5. Hands

Hands Member

May 5, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Living in San Antonio, I figured I am "out of market" too and was surprised the 1st home game (vs Colorado) was blacked out on Direct Kick.

I spoke to the front office about the details of the deal with TWC. It covers all TWC markets in Texas. So if a person is in a TWC market anywhere in Texas, the Direct Kick blackout is in effect.

For everyone in the DFW area, I get that. They want everyone to attend all the home games (or switch to TWC). Most people are reluctant to change their television provider solely for the purpose of watching FCD. So that would encourage them to actually attend home games. However, that's not the case for those of us who truly live out of market.

I asked if she would revisit the deal with TWC and ask them to change the blackout range from "All of Texas" to "X mile radius" from the stadium. She liked that idea and said she would ask TWC to consider it. I don't really expect anything to change, but I just wanted to the FO to know how their decisions have effected their out of market supporters.

chazsoccer repped this.
  6. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The whole communication over the TV deal was really screwed up. They left it to a single sentence in the press release.

"Direct Kick will still be available for fans in non-Time Warner Cable service areas and MLS Live will be available market-wide."

If you missed the release when it first was posted, you would have to do some digging. I would have expected them to provide a page over the TV situation, readily accessible, with detailed information on the blackout rules for both MSL Live and Direct Kick, and how fans can watch the games.

And also, maybe buy a beer for the fans that end up shelling out some cash for a package to watch the team the next time they come to Frisco. If a person is paying money exclusively to watch a team's broadcast, that says a bunch about their interest in the team.

I won't comment on the reasons behind the decision itself, though, the front office screwed up the communication of how to watch the team. I don't think you can ever over communicate these sorts of details.

chazsoccer repped this.
  7. gamekid2k

gamekid2k Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if cowboys had similar deals, people will not just switch. FCD FO is smoking stuff from that battery plant junk yard in Frisco

8. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

If the cowboys had a exclusive deal, the other providers would pick up that package (see how it's played out with the TWC sports net in LA and their deal with the Lakers).

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A "fact" that was clearly false after some recent trials by certain posters.

10. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Saturday's match is showing up as being blacked out. I guess Univision Deportes can trigger a blackout, like UniMas. This is pathetic.

11. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  12. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    So now I am confused. The front office I thought made it clear that MLS live wouldn't be blacked out for non national broadcasts, and this new deal says this doesn't affect MLS live black outs...so where we lied to? Am I really not going to be able to watch the bulk of games this year?

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    MLS Live is only blacked out for games on national broadcasts (i.e. ESPN, Univision Deportes, UniMas [TeleFutura], NBC Sports).

14. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  15. Hands

Hands Member

May 5, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To clarify: the TWC deal does NOT black out FCD matches on MLS Live. However, other deals made by the MLS FO may. So if an FCD match is blacked out on MLS Live, it has nothing to do with the TWC deal.

16. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ok so what you are saying is that the MLS FCD FO may BO a G but only if it is UNI ESPN NBC but not TWC but it should be MLS L-I-V-E.

o_O

17. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I opened up a support ticket with MLS Live, they responded that they'll forward the ticket on to get the blackout reviewed. I just checked again, and right now, the game is no longer showing up as being blacked out.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We almost need a flow chart to tell us when the games are blacked out on MLS Live.

chazsoccer repped this.
  19. gamekid2k

gamekid2k Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With MLS live you will see tons of pixels. I have good connection (fios) but no help with resolution or frame rate. I have a gaming rig so the pc is not the bottle neck

20. matthewe08

matthewe08 Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please forgive me if this has been covered or not but I had a question I was hoping to get answered.

Will the games be blacked out on DirectKick if you live in a non TWC area? I live in Waxahachie and I have checked with TWC and they do not service Waxahachie (Charter is the provider). If I get DirectKick will I be able to view FCD games or is MLS Live my only option?

Any help is appreciated!

21. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If you are outside of a TWC market, then the regional sports network blackout would not apply for DirectKick.

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted the below in the Houston forum as we had a few questions in our area this year, the way I read it, Dallas games on Direct Kick would be blacked out in most of the state (I wasn't home in week 1 to see if it was blacked out):
    Direct Kick blackout guidelines are up for this season now:

http://tsq.com/alerts/MLS DIRECT KICK blackouts 2013.pdf
    Unless they lift it on a special basis, games on CSN Houston and KPRC are supposed to be blacked out from Direct Kick in the Houston area. Interestingly, Dallas games on the TWC Dallas channel are blacked out throughout the entire state (El Paso, Corpus, even Houston!). Apparently the Dallas TV territory is larger or the Dynamo just don't want to blackout around the state.​

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is what they said but we've had a few posters who can't get TWC in their area report that Direct Kick blacked the opening day game out. If you want to be our guinea pig and try it out, be my guest because I would love to get Direct Kick when I move next month :D.

24. hookemshane

hookemshane Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone who has direct kick could post in here tonight if the game is indeed blacked out or not it would be appreciated. If the game canbe seen I will be contacting DTV immedietly to purchase the plan.

25. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I live in SW Arlington, have DirecTV and MLS package. the game tonight between FCD and RSL was blacked out on MLS Direct Kick. i signed up for MLS Live and watched it on my computer. Great experience, no picture break up or lag. Only down side is instead of Brian Dunseth on my TV speakers its Brian Dunseth in my headphones. Ewwwww!!