FC Cincinnati Attendance

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Dan Milton, May 4, 2016.

1. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    Didn't know where to put this but thought it was worth noting. FC Cincinati Attendance is running ahead of the Crews. Don't have the exact numbers handy but so far they have had 20,000 plus for the first game,16,000 plus in the pouring rain for the second game. An article today says they are pushing for 25,000 fans at May 14 game against Pittsburg
    What they have going for them is that they are new and there are a lot of soccer fans in southern Ohio and northern KY. The games are played at the University of Cincinnati. Their prices are very reasonable, if you are a UC student you can get a ticket for $5.00. There highest ticket is $25.00. If they can continue with that kind of Attendance they may have an argument for MLS. At least that is their hope. Carl Lender is their major owner and he is financially sound. They would be a great rivaly with the Crew.
    Don't know what Attendance would be after ticket prices are raised to cover the cost of a MLS franchise but it is a good sign for soccer in the state and the USA.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The problem is that if they become an MLS team, the price hike will be high, and attendance will plummet like you mention. Unless they could bring in a big-ish name player. But I doubt they'd be willing to shell money out for that, and I doubt player interest in going there would be greater than player interest in coming to C-Bus

I wouldn't rule an eventual MLS team there out completely, but I fully expect other larger market cities (San Fran, Sacramento, Detroit, perhaps Tampa again, maybe San Diego or St Louis, etc, etc.) are more likely to get teams before Cincy.

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Attendance would skyrocket if folks weren't so worried about bringing their wives.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm of the opinion that having MM as a consultant has helped. While there are differing opinions of Mark (especially concerning the TV deal, which has been discussed to death), he knows MLS and knows the soccer market.

Look, I'm still impressed with that kind of attendance even at those low prices for some folks like students and kids. There was a time when you couldn't get 20K to a game if you gave them away. There's apparently real interest there, for a team that really isn't that high quality.

5. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did that goal of 10k season ticket holders and stadium naming rights work out for him?

6. Salacious Bum

Salacious Bum Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Cincinnati FC average: 15,491
    Columbus Crew SC average: 17,145

Just sayin'

Still impressive I agree, but let's see how they are doing in say, year three, before we shower them with accolades.
    Sadly, I don't think there is a check big enough for Garber to allow multiple teams in Ohio. I'll eat a soccer boot if I'm wrong.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got pretty close on the first and we'll likely never know how close on the second (rumors were that the league squashed at least one deal). But that's not the point.

8. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    Had to run a few errands today and had WLW on the radio. WLW hates soccer. They are the home of the Reds and Bengals and UC and Xavier football and basketball. They have never said a nice word about soccer. It was on Billy Cunningham's show and they were talking nicely about FC Cincinnati. Talking about the good Attendance and play. They talked about the upcoming Pittsburg game and if the soccer team could do what no other Cincinnati team could do and that is beat a Pittsburg team. It is the first time since the Crew came into existence that WLW has said a kind word about soccer. I remember a few years back that a Crew rep ( maybe MM) was on the radio with Seg Dennison, their NASCAR, etc.,sports reporter. Seg Dennison was a customer of mine and he didn't have any love for soccer. Sounds like they are softening their view of Soccer! It's possible that Carl Linder, fc Cincinnati owner, United Dairy Farmer's owner, advertising dollars could have something to do with the softened attitude towards soccer!

9. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a new team, and pro soccer in Cincinnati has been spotty & crappy before this -- it's telling that what is essentially a division 3 team is creating this kind of buzz.

It also hasn't hurt that they've signed on some recognizable names (MM, Harkes) in the world of soccer, and a local rich dude to finance the whole deal whose dad used to own the Reds (ie: "ins" with the local sports old boys/media).

10. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm of the opinion, that the Crew need a better "rival" Cincinnati could be it, maybe Indy. Both would be great. Even Detroit. I'd like to see all of them. Attendance at those games could/would likely be the highest of the season. Add in passionate suporters and it could be hella fun. I think this is just what the Crew need... rather than hate on TFC (although that is fun) or pretend Chicago is the evil empire. I'd certainly be more likely to go to an away game in one of those cities.

YeahMorgan repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is not likely to take *all* of those teams, frankly. But you never know.

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like cincy as a rival more than detroit or indy.

13. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be crazy. We could easily support a 64 team league. Every team makes the playoffs. BOOM. Rich forever.

Matt C, eboe and Draghignazzo repped this.
  14. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998

15. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    Don't know were in the (heck) my post went, but it probably wasn't that great a post and I'm too lazy and don't want too rethink it all over again! I just wanted to support the idea of many devisons and a playoff system like the NFL!

16. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found it:

Dan Milton repped this.
  17. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

18. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You just messed up the / QUOTE stuff. You ended up putting your response in the last quote.

eboe and Dan Milton repped this.
  19. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Columbus Crew hold the MLS rights to Ohio, FC Cincinnati would have to pay them to end the exclusive agreement. Now nobody knows if that agreement expires or not, but RedBull was paid by NYCFC to play. I read about the RedBull being paid, I asked the former GM of Chicago Fire and Indy 11 and he said that he knew that the Hunts had an exclusive agreement for Ohio, but didn't know the details.

chungachanga repped this.
  20. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not relevant in this discussion. What about Kentucky?

21. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    With all the talk I have heard on WLW, I wonder if they have a financial interest in the team. They are new and in a honeymoon period, attendance will drop unless they deliver wins and a title. I would love to see a team down in Cincy, but see me in 2-3 years if they can maintain 15K plus next season or in 2018.

22. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    State of Ohio only, Unlike NYRB they had the New York Metro area which includes New Jersey.

23. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if the stadium were in say Newport, right across the river, they'd be good to go?

eboe repped this.
  24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    23,375 for tonight's game against the Riverhounds. Wow.

25. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't care.

What were the Crew's initial attendance numbers?

The Bungals aren't playing yet, the Reds had a fire-sale... Their USL team is the only "game" in town at the moment.

Talk to me in 5 years when the shine has worn off or they start losing.