FC Barcelona Vs World All-Star XI

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Keithl, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Keithl

Keithl New Member

Aug 20, 2004
    Dublin
    Looks like this could be a good game tonight.
    World All-Star XI includes:

Benedict McCarthy (South Africa), Vincent Company (Belgium), Michallis Kapsis (Greece), Kalu Uche (Nigeria), Michael Owen (England), Christian Obodo (Nigeria), Christian Abbiati (Italy), Christian Brocchi (Italy), Fernando Torres (Spain), Martin Petrov (Bulgaria), Andrés D'Alessandro (Argentina), Hidetoshi Nakata (Japan), Jorge Campos (Mexico), Alexander Ostlund (Sweden), Amedeo Carboni (Italy), Rubén Baraja (Spain), Delron Buckley (South Africa), Julián Escudé (France), Mauricio Pochettino (Argentina), Valeri Bojinov (Bulgaria), Daniel Van Buyten (Belgium) and Gabriel Heinze (Argentina).

Its suppose to be on TV but does anybody have a web streaming link for it?
    Its on TV3 and Barca TV plus more....

2. Empty3D

Empty3D New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    I just hope that nobody gets injury. Good chance to try Messi and that young striker from reserves(can't remember his name).

3. Keithl

Keithl New Member

Aug 20, 2004
    Dublin
    Javito and Cristian....

4. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes.FR will give all the youngsters from the catenero a chance.
    We cannot afford anymore injuries.
    It is for a good cause also.

Regards

5. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Jorge Campos (Mexico)"

I love Jorge, but how old is he? I could swear that he was retired.

I just thinks it's funny to have him in this exhibition match along with youth phenoms like Bojinov and Kompany.

6. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Campos just played a "retirement match" at the Home Depot Center in LA along with Romario against the US 1994 World Cup team

7. CrazyElBarca

CrazyElBarca New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    It is wrong.

Campos was with Mexico vs Romario & Brasil team from WC 1994 :cool:

8. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    I would have loved to seen the bulgarian bojinov playing w/ d'allesandro. Vincent Kompany is also supposed to be quite a defender.

9. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    players to watch that could be useful to barcelona.
    i only added fernando torres and d'alessandro for fun, as they are unlikely.
    mccarthy could help if he has an eu passport.

10. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Does anyone kno if Jorge Campos will be starting as the goalie for this game ?

11. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    As far as i know Benni don't have a EU passport.
    By the way Benni 's grow up not far from where I am now.
    He's a great role model here in Cape Town...

12. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    What is this game playing for anyway?!

Nice to play such game but I would rather see our players resting this weak. They need some rest!!!

13. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Goals against AIDS (4-3)

FC BARCELONA, 4
    WORLD ALL-STARS, 3

FC BARCELONA: Valdés (Rubén, min.46), Damiá (Belletti, min.46), Puyol (Oleguer, min.46), Navarro (Mora, min.71), Van Bronckhorst (Peña, min.46), Fragoso (Márquez, min.46), Deco (Xavi, min.46), Iniesta (Verdú, min.46), Giuly (Messi, min.28) (Rodri, min.82), Ronaldinho (Javito, min.46) AND Cristian (Eto'o, min.46).

WORLD ALL-STARS: Jorge Campos (Abbiati, min.46), Ostlund, Kompany, Pochettino (Kapsis, min.46), Carboni (Escudé, min.46), Obodo (Buckley), Nakata (Jorge Campos, min.71), Baraja (Van Buyten, min.46), Uche (Petrov, min.46), Bojinov (D'Alessandro, min.46) and Owen (McCarthy, min.46).

Goals: 1-0, Iniesta (15'); 1-1, Nakata (18'); 2-1, Deco (27'); 3-1, Messi (31'); 3-2, McCarthy (50'); 4-2, Belletti (84'); 4-3, Petrov (87').

Referee: Xavier Moreno Delgado. 33,364 spectators. Before the kick-off, the famous Catalan theatre group Dagoll Dagom gave a performance to illustrate the need to fight AIDS and, above all, provide adequate treatment to all sufferers especially in Africa and Latin America. The match was organized jointly by Médicins Sans Frontières, Barcelona newspaper Sport, Televisió de Catalunya and FC Barcelona.

Tuesday night's benefit match for AIDS victims ended in a 4-3 win for FC Barcelona against a World Eleven.

The result was the least important thing in a match that aimed to highlight the plight of people in the poorest parts of the world who are deprived of the most effective forms of treatment for AIDS. 33,364 people in the Nou Camp were able to enjoy the spectacle on offer from some of the biggest names in football and make their own small contribution to improve the lot of millions of AIDS victims around the world.

Pupil against master

Frank Rijkaard put out a different team in each half with a combination of youngsters from the reserve squad - such as Damià, Cristian, Dani Fragoso and Messi - with first team regulars such as Valdés, Gio, Puyol, Deco, Giuly, Iniesta and Ronaldinho.

Johan Cruyff and Barca director of football Txiki Begiristain were in charge of the World Eleven which included retired keeper Jorge Campos, Valencia's Carboni and Baraja and Real Madrid's England striker Michael Owen.

The game was played with an almost total lack of midfield and produced some entertaining football, especially from the boots of Deco and Ronaldinho.

The goals flow

The first goal came after 15 minutes thanks to a fierce shot from Andrés Iniesta which keeper Jorge Campos could only watch as it screamed into the net.

Fiorentina's Japanese star Nakata replied for the World Eleven after some good play down the wing by Girondins Nigerian international Kalu Uche.

But the best was still to come as Barca scored two more before the break. In the 26th minute Deco hit the top corner from the edge of the box which was followed in the 30th minute by a goal from Messi after a combination between Iniesta and Cristian.

All change in the second half

The second half was less spectacular but there were still goals on offer. Eto'o came on after the break but it was Brazilian fullback Belletti who delighted the crowd with a spectacular solo effort in the 83rd minute. McCarthy and Petrov got the other two goals for the World Eleven.

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=33&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=168249&idseccio_PK=614&h=

14. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Cruijff about Kompany before the match:

We are talking about a player that can amuse the crowds. The boy has personality and charisma and he's still very young. Whether Barcelona can discover him now? If they haven't done that yet, they come too late.

15. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how i would love to have him!

16. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be perfect. He is a long term purchase for the back. And with him in back, Marquez can concentrate on his d-mid position, while Oleguer providing depth in defense. I know he is young, but what better mentor is there for him than our own Puyol?

I doubt that there are any serious plans to buy him in january though. :(

17. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    does anyone have a link to some highlights of the game?

18. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

or better yet (possibly), LB.....Marquez....Kompany....Puyol
    with motta at DM. of course this would be after belletti and assuming damia doesnt pan out.

err...i know i could just not post this, but now that ithink about it, i think puyol is a better world class centerback than he is a world class right back.

19. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kompany will be expensive in June. How good is this kid? I wish there was a torrent of that game or some of Anderlechts games, period.

BAD NEWS: According to www.planetfootball.com Giuly strained his calf again and will miss Malaga on Saturday.

20. elchico

elchico Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Lebanon
    I'm surprised you didn't mention Belletti's goal, it was a stunner. I think it's the first time i've seen this fake in a long long time.

21. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Sorry forgot to menton. Great move by Belletti, goalkepper was shocked :D