PBP: FC Barcelona vs PSG | UEFA Champions League - QF - 2nd Leg | 16 Apr 2024

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by celito, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    #101 Khan, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    This. Exactly this.

This. Exactly this.

Excellent point about it having been minute 32, vice 82. Just as it was genius for Suarez to deliberately handball for Uruguay vs Ghana in extra time in the WC a few cycles ago, it would have been understandable for Araujo to have made such a challenge later in the match, vs earlier.

And this.

inswinger repped this.
  2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    To be a little fair to Araujo, this is a play where he loses the race and Barcola crosses in front of him. It's a fair attacking player move to cut a defenders angle off and in worst case scenario draw contact. Araujo shouldn't have put his arm on the shoulder as it gave the ref clear reason to call it even though the contact was on the leg. If he hadn't, perhaps he could have gotten away with it.

inswinger repped this.
  3. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I think this is entirely a bullshyte media meme, particularly in the English language media.

And this type of meme is moronic, and a mere talking point for English media types, until a club goes about changing it. I had thought that yesterday would have been the day to start changing that, but one mistake by one player in a split second upended that. It happens.

But it AIN'T an entire club's so-called "weak mentality," nor is Araujo himself limited by a weak mentality. It was one mistake by an otherwise great player, just as yesterday was one loss by an otherwise great club.

inswinger repped this.
  4. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    While it's true that Araujo's red card killed the game. But let's not forget that the team ship away 4 goals in 60 minutes, at "home" (not really home but all home fans here).

Xavi's tactic was trying invite their pressure, no fast ball circulation, no movement. Psg could press us quite easlily and forced the worst ball playing player (Araujo) to pass the ball. Our midfield were nowhere to be seen. And this against quite young Psg midfielders (and they didn't have a real defensive midfielder either).

So the red card is of course the main reason for our defeat. But our way of play is also not there. Psg tried to force us make mistakes. And they succeed.

Shame that we could've win this tie. But at least, this should really makes up Xavi mind about whether staying or not.

We need coach that can build the play.

Khan and BocaFan repped this.
  5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    If it makes us feel any better, this wholesale choke avoids a scenario where Barca get tonked by Madrid in the CL final.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh yeah, that was in the back of my mind. Xavi's plan all along to avoid real humiliation.

BocaFan repped this.
  7. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    About weak mentality, i feel that after the red card, the team had already accepted defeat. 10 vs 11, sure it is hard but shipped away 4 goals in 60 minutes is just bad.

Xavi also didn't do anything to help. Still the same tactic, trying to invite P$G pressure despite being 1 man down. Like i said above, we didn't even try to challenge them in midfield battle. Our midfielders are nowhere to be seen. No movement from midfield to recieve the ball from the back (that's why you see a lot of Stegen passes to Kounde). We managed to win the midfield battle in Paris because we pushed them back to their own half, but this time we gave up from beginning.

We entered this match with wrong mentality, we were too negative. Our style of play, inviting opponent pressure, was building towards conceding. It could work if there was full 11. But stuff like red card...happen all the time.

8. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #108 JoCryuff98, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    What a disappointment. Barcelona have lacked resilience and strong mentality in the UCL since Valverde era.

9. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think even with 10 men, we should’ve won it. Lamine Yamal should’ve never been subbed until later.

10. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  12. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I get that, but looking at the goals:

1. Cancelo loses his mark on Dembele
    2. Lewandowski (a #9) fails to close out Vitinha
    3. Cancelo makes a stoopid foul on Dembele/PK
    4. Mbappe scores off a poor clearance by a winded Kounde

None of those were tactical errors, but rather, player errors brought about by being a man down.

In my rewatch of the match, I do agree that there was a strategic error in the lineup:

1. Xavi ALWAYS has the LB play further upfield in possession, whether its Cancelo, or Alonso vs Cadiz.
    2. The RB ALWAYS plays deeper in possession.
    3. The 2 CBs and RB form a 3 man backline.

But, when the best passing CB (Cubarsi) is on the left, it puts Araujo in the center of the 3. It then puts it on Araujo to quarterback the buildup, while sidelining Cubarsi. Especially against P$G's press.

The error was in not switching Cubarsi and Araujo, such that Cubarsi was the right CB; in possession, that would have made much more sense.

I suppose that Xavi's concerns regarding the alignment going into the match were defensive ones, but THAT was an error, IMO. I dont think that switching the 2 CBS would have opened up a defensive liability. But having Cubarsi on the left harmed the buildup and the circulation of the ball.

True, but I don't draw any conclusions about this match. Cancelo made what I would call 2 team defensive errors. Lewandowski didn't close out Vitinha, but as a #9, thats not what he does. The 4th was borne out of trying to push for a goal, and then a poor clearance.

I remain confident that an 11 man side would have won the tie.

Well, I do agree that there should be a better coach to augment this roster. Unfortunately, due to the financials, here are your choices:

1. Xavi, or
    2. Marquez.

While I have been critical of Xavi, and in an ideal world, he would be replaced. But, I don't yet rate Marquez. I think he would be an inexperienced hand, who hasn't yet proven himself, and who would again need a few seasons to get up to speed. (He couldn't even get Barça Atletic promoted from the 3rd Division.)

While I think its inevitable that Xavi will leave, I also think this would be a mistake. I think that, given the financials, Xavi is a better choice than Marquez. I think (at this point) continuity > another inexperienced manager, who has no cash to augment the current roster.

We'll see how it works out.

Barc@4ever and inswinger repped this.
  13. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Meh, the English language media always gives the world the click-baity headlines, meant to gin up interest.

But then, when you actually consider the source, and what he actually said, there was no bus-tossing.

For one, Ilkay's German. Germans (in general) are direct in English, and in any language they speak.

For another, what he said was truthful.

Most importantly, there was no incendiary language, and no specific mention of any one player.

I suppose he could/should have stated that he supports his team mates, but then again, he's German. And if he had said anything that was untrue, THEN it would have been unfair, and thus, bus-tossing.

All of the players are disappointed, and I'm sure Araujo is (right now) disappointed, embarrassed, and hurt. But if they're big boys, they'll get over this.

This WAS NOT like Chelski having an on field fight over who gets to take a PK. This is relatively minor, and as professionals and as men, they'll get over it.

14. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    #114 Khan, Apr 18, 2024
    Here, don't take a cut up second-hand account of what Ilkay said, because the media are always trying to gin up stories that aren't much. Watch what Ilkay said, in totality, and in context:

I'm looking for his interview with CBS, but I can't find it. If someone else can do so, you'll see that it was not at all a bus-tossing, nor finger-pointing.

Araujo can, and should be hurt right now. But once he recognizes that it was not unfair nor untrue on the part of Gundogan, I'm sure it'll pass.

15. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    @Khan About all 4 goals we conceded, i don't focus on our mistakes. I mean our style of play were building toward conceding. Even with full 11, we still let their midfield all over us. But if Araujo hadn't been sent off, we still would have Yamal (who was in good form) on the pitch, 3 forwards, mean they perhaps wouldn't push high up, especially their fullbacks and wingers.

But the fact that we were one man down, with only 10 left, Xavi still didn't change the style of play. Still inviting their pressure. No movement, no support from our midfielders to help the back progress the ball. When we played like that, P$G had plenty of time and space to attack and circulate the ball. And when you are dominated, your mistakes will appear.

inswinger and Khan repped this.
  16. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    About the next coach, i think Laporta and the board should do everything to bring Nagelsmann here. A young coach, with experiences (Bayern, Germany NT), clear vision and can work with young players.

Khan repped this.
  17. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I agree that P$G were pressing high, because they HAD TO. They were down 2 in the tie, and they had to go all-in.

I dont think it was a style choice, so much as it was an alignment choice, with Cubarsi on the left. To your earlier point, having Araujo on the right put him in the center of the back 3, which enhanced his time on the ball, while limiting Cubarsi's time on the ball.

18. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    #118 Khan, Apr 18, 2024
    I dont mind that, but I don't know how the club can afford him. There aren't any more levers to pull at this point. The only options to bring in new players or coaches from the outside will be to sell some.

I'm already thinking that of the 1st team, Raphinha could be sold for say, €70-80MM, back to the EPL. Possibly, Kounde to P$G to help shore up their weak backline, for say, €40MM. Both Joaos would not be retained. Alonso and Inigo sold. All of this, just to balance the books, and to reduce the wage bill. And thats IF Barça go with an internal candidate for manager.

If they go for an external candidate, they'll have to sell off MORE players, in order to afford a new manager. Then, who do you sell, just to bring in a new manager? Gundogan? FDJ? One of the young jewels? (Yamal/Cubarsi/Pedri/Gavi/Balde/Fort)

Thats why I'm thinking for manager, get to like something about:

1. Xavi, or
    2. Marquez.

Without more funding, without more out of the UCL, and without the club WC, those are your choices, at least as I see it.

inswinger repped this.
  19. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    De Jong is the first player i would sell this summer. Not that he is a bad player, he is quality actually, but not someone we need. He can't play as a defensive midfielder (something we hoped when we brought him here - Busquets successor). Not a CM either. Can get 80-100m from De Jong alone.

I wouldn't sell Raphina but if an good offer, like you said comes, yes.

Lewandowsky, Christensen, Inigo, Alonso are also on transfer list.

Young players like Pedri, Yamal, Curbasi, Balde, Gavi are not for sale. Not now.

Xavi will leave, 100%. About Rafa, i don't know. I haven't watched Barca B (or Barca Athletic now) in recent years. But if even we must spend big to get Nagelsmann, i would still vote for him.

20. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #120 inswinger, Apr 18, 2024
    Another historical touchstone: the 2006 CL final vs. Arsenal.

Jens Lehmann brought down Eto'o outside of the box in the early minutes. Gunners down to 10 players. They still go up 1-0 with a Sol Campbell goal then bunker for the rest.

It took supersub Henrik Larsson to unlock their defense, taking part in both goals for the comeback win.

The point is, games can go many directions after a sending-off. I don't buy the argument that the game was essentially over after Araújo was ejected.

What was missing on Tuesday was the presence of a fighter to get in PSG's faces and unnerve them, and inspire his teammates to lock in. Gavi is our current resident fighter but of course wasn't available. Past great teams have all had at least one of that kind of player: Puyol, Alves, Van Bommel, Mascherano... who can be tough-ass bastards when they're needed.
    edit: I will absolutely add Luis Enrique to that list. One of the bastard-fighter GOATs.

To our team's credit or detriment, they don't know how to properly shithouse a game. Holding onto a 1 or 2 goal lead, they could've parked the bus and hoofed the ball upfield, wasted time everywhere, and generally obstructed their opponent all the way to the final whistle. Not that you'd see that anywhere in a CL quarterfinal. Big clubs don't do that... <cough cough>

Khan repped this.
  21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Alot of that is true but I think the 25th minute is way too soon to sit on a lead. Such an approach could have easily failed also and then we'd be cursing Xavi right now for reverting to conservative tactics when we were looking pretty good playing aggressively.

Hindsight is 20/20.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think it's easier to hold opponents when you're a man down if you have players that are physically strong and more athletic. Barca just lacks those types of players.

Khan and BocaFan repped this.
  23. Klay Thompson

Klay Thompson Member

Burnley FC, Barcelona, Lazio, PSV Eindhoven, Pumas UNAM, Atlanta United
    Apr 8, 2024
    I don't understand why Joao Felix sat bench most of the game

24. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I was wanting to get into the transfer season after El Clasico, but I also think your post merits a reply:
    There are maybe two dozen or so clubs worldwide that can afford a €100MM CM. There are maybe only a handful that can afford his reported €35MM+/year wages. And of that handful, how many would FDJ want to go to?

In many ways, getting a fat transfer fee, PLUS removing a big chunk off the wage bill would be a good get. But OTOH, FDJ hasn't made it known that he'd want to leave. I think this one is unlikely.

Agreed. Although, he would be a big loss.

Lewandowski's wages, plus his (un)willingness to leave are a barrier. Whats more, if you sell him, who is your #9? (And don't tell us "Roque," because he's no #9.)

I agree with you, Inigo and Alonso are replaceable, whole removing ~€12MM or so from the wage bill.

Christiansen, I wouldn't sell, without a good offer. He's versatile, and he has much more tread left on the tires, compared to Inigo or Alonso.

Agreed, but some of these players will require improved contacts.

And in spending for Nagelsman, it will mean selling more pieces off the 1st team. At the same time, it looks like few, if any purchases of players will be incoming this offseason.

This would likely mean that Nagelsman, or any other outsider, would likely require high wages, in order to attract him to Barça.

Taken together, the cost of attracting an outside manager, which would require selling more pieces, while having few reinforcements, makes me less enthusiastic about such an operation. We'll have to see, but I'm more inclined to try to retain Xavi at this point.

25. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I think this is true.

I also think that, had a taller guy like Christiansen been available, it could have been an easier choice to remove Lewandowski, and keep Yamal on.