PBP: FC Barcelona v Atlético Madrid | Supercopa de Espanya semifinal | 9 January 2020

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by inswinger, Jan 9, 2020.

1. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lol. Imagine Xavi coming and us winning the treble this season. The team is great, barring from the mentality. Xavi personally training someone like Arthur and FDJ would be a sight to behold. I’m very optimistic person, so I know Xavi will be great coach for us.

2. Nocturnal Animal

Nocturnal Animal New Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Crazy to talk about managerial change based on this result. We scored 4 goals, 2 taken off that could have easily been declared valid based on millimeters and Oblak made 7 saves on top of that. Meanwhile our reserve keeper causes a penalty the first moment there is any kind of real danger for us. I want to see another team that easily could have scored 5 or 6 goals against Atletico. Real didn't score one in 120 minutes.

You gotta be kidding me that Xavi will do better with this team. He's lived in the Barca possession bubble since he was a kid so he only knows one way. If that game plan doesn't work, which it won't post Messi era with the current player material, he'll be deer in headlights. Imagine trying to replicate the great Barca era with Démbéle leading the line upfront and Lenglet leading the high defensive line at the back.

The only benefit of Xavi is who he is and everyone respecting and giving 100 % for him.

Can't deny that I'm extremely curious about Xavi managing Barca but I'd hate to see him receive the Lucho treatment if things don't go as everyone somehow expects with Xavi at helm. Especially when he starts talking about having won the possession battle and unfair results after losses, the shallow fanbase will lose it.

ShortyMac, Danko, unclesox and 2 others repped this.
  3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    \
    I more or less agree with this. Except I wouldn't blame Neto for the defensive mistakes.

Xavi would have to rebuild the team to implement his philosophy which for all we know, may be outdated even if he gets good players to implement it.

4. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Well put. He's not ready yet.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I agree its too early for Xavi, but doubt that Xavi will move away from the possession game in 3, 5 or 10 years from now.

Also, Barca employed that style long before Messi arrived. I know you didn't say otherwise, but not sure what your point is when you say it won't work post-Messi. If anything, Messi (along with Suarez, but he may have already played his last game for Barca) prevents us from using that style now.