Alert: FC Barcelona bidding on expansion MLS franchise

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Hector_Huerta, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Hector_Huerta

Hector_Huerta Member

May 2, 2007
    Espn
    Soccer-Barcelona to bid for Miami MLS franchise

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/081015/sports/soccer_barcelona_mls_1

Dont mean to sound like a snob. It would be travesty to associate our club in anwyway with the MLS or other leagues for that matter . Lets keep the team traditionally .I would be disgusted and would lose my utter respect towards the club and dont see anyway with being "MES QUE UN CLUB" .

There are speculations the team could be associated and be name "Miami Barca" as the city of Miami is bidding on the project as well as other cities. It should be interesting what colors they will use as well as the crest if some kind of deal goes through. Already Laporta is in Florida looking at viable realistic possibilities. I can understand the economic factors but this is a big turn off for loyal fans

2. miguel9

miguel9 Member

May 1, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Fc Barcelon Mls Franchise

I wouldn't worry about the Barca name getting trashed by having an MLS franchise, an article stated that they already have an affiliation with a team in Bolivia and you never hear about how much Barca reputation is getting hammered by that deal. I'm for this, and think it would be great to have Barca influence in MLS. I agree that having a name like Miami Barca is lame, but it's better than Real Salt Lake, what a sorry name.

3. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ajax have a club in Cape Town, South Africa and in Orlando already.
    Crystal Palace have a club in Baltimore, MD.

Just call it FCB Miami or Miami Atletic

4. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it's terrible, just terrible when big clubs have smaller clubs affiliated with them in smaller leagues.

Signed,

A Chivas USA fan

;)

In all seriousness, I don't see this being a bad thing that brings down Barça's international reputation. My biggest problem would be going to a game between Chivas USA and Miami-lona and rooting for both.

5. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I'll treat this the way most Chivas fans treat Chivas USA - pretend it doesn't even exist. I could never root for another MLS side besides DC.

Thread title edited for clarity.

6. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

^^That's a little more accurate.

I wouldn't root for Barça USA against the Goats, but I would enjoy watching them beat up on Eastern Conference teams.

7. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I doubt this will cause Barca fans to start watching MLS...but it could lead to more MLS fans to start watching Barca, and that could mean more revenue. I just wish they would've chosen another city(for example, I've read NY wants another team). For some reason, MLS hasn't been that succesful in Florida. :confused:

8. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Pro sports in general aren't good money makers in almost every case in Florida

9. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Any specific reason for that? Or do only the Disney related ones fail?

BTW, from El Mundo Deportivo:
    [​IMG]

10. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

YOu haters, LEt me and and my peeps have pro footy down here. I will be so stoked if it is barca sponsored, maybe they will come here for preseason, and barca miami wont be the name its just the project name. The talent here is like diamond in rough, and i think barca can find some good talent for the real barca team from the inner city latinos who love the game but have no access to a real pro team. Miami FC doesnt do footy justice.
    Stop complainin and let it be, the more footy expands the better it is for the game, and it will bring money in to the team. I just hope they build a competitive team.

11. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Just bad attendance in general, even NFL has problems in Miami. NBA, NHL and MLB attendance is pretty bad down there, and they've had some good teams.

12. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

but if u look at the tv ratings, they are some of the best in the country for their local teams.
    Look at the Marlins, I think it was this season that the marlins had the 7th highest local tv ratings. Miami is tough, i.e. the dolphins stadium is like 30 mins from kendall on weekdays, if they decide to have the games at FIU stadium or build a stadium it should be in the city and i bet it will be good.

13. dooby10

dooby10 New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    It' all good.

As a member of the Miami Ultras I invite all FC Barcelona fans in South Florida to cheer on your "new" home team. You don't have to leave FC Barcelona, or even treat the Miami team as an equal, just come out and cheer. Have fun and help your mother team.

Woo Hoo

MLS in SoFlo

14. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm against this happening, I would be lying if I said I wouldn't have some affection for a Barça branded club in MLS. Being a Fire fan, I wouldn't support them outright, but I would definitely pay more attention to them than I do any other non-Fire team in MLS.

15. loco25

loco25 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Chicago
    I am fire fan but I love the idea of MLS in Miami. Miami is a great city. Garber bring MLS to Miami in 2010. It is going to be great to go to Miami and see Chicago play Miami.

16. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Miami had one of the best teams in MLS before and nobody came to see it, not sure why this time would be different