Favourite Club

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by white riot, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    the first option is blank. the last option is other. both are selectable

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    But once you choose a club (or a national team or a league), you can't revert to blank.

That was my experience a couple days ago, anyway. I tried to revert to blank and it came back with an error message about a required field being left, well, blank.

// edit -- I tried it again. Got this message: "A required field called Favorite League is missing or has an invalid value."

3. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Man that sucks. <thinks>

4. Skizz

Skizz Guest

I thought if you selected "other" it did come up blank?

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I try to select a favorite club, Arsenal FC in my case. I save the changes, get the error message:
    A required field called National Team is missing or has an invalid value.

And my favorite club is not saved. Lots of people do not seem to have to had list a favorite national team. Why isn't this working?

6. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Because you need to pick a national team.

7. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    What, exactly, was wrong with the old system?

If I want to list Chelsea, I want to list Chelsea, not Chelsea FC. Nobody says Chelsea FC. Nobody says Arsenal FC either. If you want to be even more precise, you should in fact list it as Arsenal AFC.

What's the point of this?

8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Used to be able to list FC Sachsen as one of my favorites, but not now, since I assume we won't be seeing the German Regionalliga in the list any time soon.

I guess I could list them in my signature, but that's not quite the same, is it?

9. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Just select <other> and it should come up blank. Worked for me before.

10. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Arsenal is Arsenal FC, not AFC, AFC is the acronym for Arsenal Football Club because Arsenal aren't an "Association Football Club", they are a "Football Club"

But I'm being picky :p Valid point, nobody does put FC at the end it's fairly clear in day to day speech that if you say you support Chelsea or Arsenal, you are referring to the football clubs, you don't need to put FC at the end to reinforce the point.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody (or almost everybody) here lives in a country that has a national team that attempts World Cup Qualifying. Even if you like your favorite club or clubs better than your favorite national team, why is it so hard for some people to have a favorite national team?

12. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    My mistake, I thought that the official name was Arsenal Association Football Club.

13. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Go back to MN. :)

JK. There is an Arsenal in Argentina, for instance, so we need the FC for the system to keep it straight. We will add teams as time goes on. The point of this is so we can link your profile to things like your clubs scores or standings.

14. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Got it. That makes sense. Thanks.

15. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is the new system necessary though?

16. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Couldn't the 'other' option take you instead to a form which asks you to enter a team name which can then be checked before being added - it will then let some of us who support more unusual clubs (you aren't likely to be adding the Unibond or Hellenic Leagues anytime soon are you?) display them again.

A mistake in the clubs listed too - it should be Huddersfield Town AFC, not just FC.

17. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i posted this earlier, but haven't seen a response. the official name is Red Bull New York, not New York red Bulls. as long as we are being all specific and such (Arsenal FC, Chelsea FC, etc), it should be changed

also, Red Bull Salzburg FC is not on the list.

18. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    I hate the change. :(

My profile now says "Supporter: other", only because there was no other way to save it once I had made another change to it, and I hate it. I don't want to put in a favourite team at the moment. And when I do, I prefer to type it in, because I can have a fun name instead of the boring official one.

So at the very least, please don't make those fields mandatory. Or leave users the option not to show their favourite team with every post but only in their profile. Ideally, go back to optional free text.

19. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Per mlsnet and I quote:

"The New York Red Bulls may have fallen short against the Columbus Crew"

20. idriveavw

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    per mlsnet and i quote:

"The Official Website of Red Bull New York"

Red Bulls is often used as an accepted nickname, but the official name is RBNY. it's on the website, on the logo, etc. i don't mean to be nit-picky, but if the names are supposed to be official (Arsenal FC, et al) then this should be the official name too.

this is one of the reasons i don't like the new system. personalization ftw.

21. idriveavw

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    as per mlsnet and i quote:

"The Official Website of Red Bull New York"

that's the official club name. red bulls is an accepted variation, but not the official name

22. idriveavw

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    wow. sorry about that. i guess the system was storing those to post later. someone can go ahead and delete those since there is no edit/delete option there.
    oops

23. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Wait, do you want it to say Red Bull New York? :)

24. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    This might not be the best place to raise this but i didn't want to start another thread. For some reason for the past day or so, the more recent posts in threads are not being shown. Also the "My Bigsoccer" page isn't being updated properly. this is leading to a large number of multiple posts.

For instance, "Mybigsoccer" says that Huss posted last in this thread, but when i come to the thread using the Mybigsoccer link, i can only see up to idriveavw's first post. I can only see the rest when i go to quick reply and then preview post, then scroll down to view precious posts. Since you are already in this thread Huss, i was wondering if you would be so kind as to sort it out?

Here's hoping this post doesn't show up five or six times...

25. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Yep, still happening. I can see up to post fifty once i replied and returned to the thread.