Favorites for the College Cup?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by kebzach, Oct 25, 2003.

1. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Who are they?

2. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I imagine most folks will hand you the top 10 teams in the nation: UCLA, Maryland, Wake, Old Dominion, etc. being among them.

3. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    college cup

Footy, you won't go out on a limb, but u will predict what most people will say? Get some nads. Here is the way I see it: Until the selection comittee disregards geography and until seeds no longer play at home through to the "Cup", The system will be rigged. Not too many teams can beat Maryland or UCLA or whoever the other top 4 seeds will be at home if things remain as they are now. It will take a superior effort from a lower seeded team to advance, and while it has happened, the seeds are definitely advantaged. I would prefer to wait until the brackets are announced, however here are my 4 teams at this point in time: 1) Maryland 2) UCLA 3) VCU 4) Oregon State. I would love to think that ODU and Coastal Carolina have a chance, but come tourney time, they will not be a factor against the top teams.

4. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    last 8: ucla, umd, odu, st. johns, st. louis, uc santa barbara, va tech, coastal carolina

last 4: ucla, umd, st. johns, santa barbara

last 2: st. johns, umd

left standing: st. johns

5. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Just wondering how you would fix things in regard to the tournament. I agree completely about the geographical aspects of the tournament, since it basically guarantees that at least one team in the midwest or west will make it every year and two eastern teams will make it, no matter if there aren't good teams there.

What I don't understand is how you will keep seeded teams from having home games. This isn't basketball; you aren't going to get a good crowd for a neutral site tournament game until College Cup comes around. Also, I see being seeded as a reward for playing well in the regular season. The reward being that you get to play at home, thus having an easier path to advance deep in the tournament.

It is way too early to say who is going to make it to Columbus, since conference tournaments can make a big mess of things. Just to pick some teams for the sake of picking, I'll go with UMD, UCLA, SLU, and St Johns. I must admit I do like lastword's pick of VCU though. They're a tough team that, when hot, can play with anyone.

A slightly different question, and one that may be more answerable right now: Who do you see as earning seeds in this year's tournament?

6. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    I'd watch out for Wake.

Look for Coastal to win 2 games, then bow out.

ODU won't make to the final four.

UCSB will do well, possibly final four, depending on the draw.

7. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    nostradamus final 4

Ahhh predictions...I know something about this...

ODU will not go further than 2nd. round
    You must include an ACC team... Wake and UNC will cancel out at sweet 16...Can Sacho get Maryland in the final 4...I say NO. Will choke at pressure. West Coast UCLA, Santa Clara and UCSB look good, but might be paired earlier rounds...

Nostardamus final 4 Predictions:

Indiana (watch out peaking at right time)
    Wake (Jay will get it done)
    UCLA (Fitz once again)
    St. John (too consistent over last five yrs. will knock out Maryland)

Spoiler: (watch out Wake and UNC)
    Coastal (Jojo is the best player in the country...and last yr. lost on 11th PK against Clemson!)

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm sure you all have noticed that Indiana has won 7 straight and is unbeaten in its last nine.

Their last two regular season games are at home and the Big Ten Tournament is in Bloomington. So, IU will likely take a lot of momentum into the NCAAs and get A) a first round bye and B) home field for at least the first two games.

And, they are playing for a higher purpose. It's not just an NCAA championship, but a shot at history as they are trying to get Yeagley the all-time NCAA wins record.

And, of course, they have a coach that knows a thing or two about getting to the Final Four.

Granted, they will likely lose their two best players to the U20 national team after the conference tournament and that will be a tough loss to overcome, but this is a team on a roll and playing with a purpose right now.

9. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Certainly the 2 favorites must be UCLA and Maryland. I am also inpressed with Wake Forest. SLU although very young is getting healthy and has a terrific amount of depth so I consider them a final 4 candidate. IU will be heard from. ODU is still very unproven in big games against heavyweight competition. St Johns will compete as will Santa Clara, Washington, San Diego, and Notre Dame. Florida International is a very strong side. Coastal Carolina will win a game or 2 in the Tournament and then who knows. Tulsa and Akron can play with anyone this year.

My final 4,

UCLA
    Maryland
    Wake Forest
    Saint Louis

Final Game probably Maryland and UCLA.

Champions, UCM better known as The University of California @ Maryland :D

10. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Last year, I did the brackets after the 48 team field was selected, and I will be defending my title again this season. Once the selections are made, I'll start a thread with the selections, etc., and then keep a running tally of points.

So much depends on home field advantage, it's nearly impossible to make picks right now.

11. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    How sad! :D

12. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    LDB, thanks for taking the reins on the brackets once they come out. I'll be looking to win the title back, after winning 2 years ago.

You're right, it all comes down to matchups and sites, which we have no idea of now.

Should be fun when it comes though.

13. eamonmcg

eamonmcg New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Rhode Island
    do misunderestimate the Ivy League. Brown will be very dangerous, ranked 11th in the country now, they will destroy all teams in their path!

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

W is that you?

15. GCSOCCER19

GCSOCCER19 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    North Carolina
    Wake

My prediction is Wake Forest, highly organized team that plays a full 90 minutes every game...

Alot of college teams you see seem to die at points in the game and towards the last minutes, not Wake.... Coach Jay Vidovich uses his subs very wisely and has arguably the deepest team in NCAA...

They have 4 different goal threats up front, a solid All American keeper who has MLS potential written all over, and a handful of former youth national team defenders....

I have attened most games and believe they more than have what it takes to make the run this year

Other eye grabbers: UNC, Coastal Carolina, VCU

16. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    predictions

GSOCCER, only 3 teams from the carolinas in the final 4? have u considered regional pairings, seeding, and other factors that will make it impossible for your prediction to materialize?

17. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Sadly, Santa Clara will also lose two of their best to the U20s, Cochrane & Cronin. It will undoubtedly weaken their very strong defense, how much remains to be seen. I think Santa Clara is capable of a very deep run in the playoffs, but I don't think they quite have the team to compete with UCLA and Maryland.

18. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    GSOCCER, you are obviously a Wake fan, and yes they have a good team, and a deep bench, but they'll fall flat like they always do in December. You call UNC an eye grabber? Give me a break. They've been overrated all season dude. Your Wake boys drilled them 4-0, they just lost at home to Clemson, and they won't have Ford Williams for the NCAA's because he'll be with the 20's.
    UNC is going nowhere in the postseason. I wouldn't be surprised if UNC loses in the opening round, depending on who they draw.

19. eamonmcg

eamonmcg New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Rhode Island
    that was the idea and the strategery, once again Brown will make a very deep run, possibly to the final.

20. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    LDB - This Wake team does not give the impression of folding. Normally they start red hot and then fade. This team is getting stronger. In a one and done anything can happen, but I just have a sense this team could make a real run because the defense has been so solid.

So for the guy who demanded predictions. No Big East. The ACC has crushed them all season long. Give me two ACC teams in the Final Four - Wake and Maryland. Give me UCLA and give me Indiana. Neither ACC team wins it though. The Bruins take the crown.

21. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    last yrs rookie of the year

perhaps it's just a sophomore jinx, but the acc and ncaa tournaments would be a good time for justin moose to score his first goal of the yr.

22. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    Re: last yrs rookie of the year

Justin Moose was not the best Freshman last year in the ACC. Impressive speed and change of direction, but that's about it in my opinion. There where three others that either I saw or heard that should have walked away with the title.

Interesting though for this year...with so many U17 NT players on different rosters...who is the ACC rookie of the year for 2003? Ashe by default?

23. HereInWinston

HereInWinston New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Why not Curfman?

2 goals, 6 assists... leads the team in assists with Justin Moose (who everyone seems to be down on).

24. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Watson has had a better year on the field than Ashe...

Ashe seemed to struggle at the beginning and then when he was getting into the groove hurt his ankle.

I guess Watson is a possibility, but wouldn't be surprised to see Curfman get it.

25. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Here's another guy who should be considered for ACC rookie of the year. Chris Loftus at Duke. First of all, he deserves a medal for putting up with Rennie all year. He's really had a solid year. 5 goals and 6 assists, including two game winners.