Favorite Marx Brothers' Movie?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Mglnbea, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just curious if there are (m)any Marx Brothers' fans on BS, and what their favorite MB movie might be.

After seeing them all, more than a few times, I think my all-time favorite MB movie is Monkey Business, with Duck Soup a close second.

There are so many jokes, puns and sight gags in Monkey Business that I just completely crack up everytime I watch it.
    The interplay with the ship's captain, the passport-"Maurice Chevalier" skit, the verbal exchanges with the gangsters, the jokes with Thelma Todd, it all adds up to be my favorite.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whichever one I'm watching.

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Duck Soup is certainly good, but it has to be A Night at the Opera. The whole barn/pickaninny interlude in Day at the Races goes on too long for that to be my fave...

4. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Very close between "A Night At The Opera" and "Monkey Business". "Animal Crackers" right behind them. The Maurice Chevalier skit in "Monkey Business" is indeed hilarious. So is the crowded cabin scene in "A Night At The Opera"

5. Purr4Pires

Purr4Pires New Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Berkeley, CA
    Has to be Monkey Business. The Maurice Chevalier bits always crack me up...
    Especially when Zeppo comes running through and says: "I just ran into Maurice Chevalier"! and I think it's Groucho who responds " Did you hurt him"?

:D

6. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Duck Soup.

7. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I think the two most consistent are Duck Soup and A Night At The Opera. Animal Crackers and Horse Feathers are up there, too. Animal Crackers for the scene in which they have the musicale, and Chico plays an incredibly boring song and he and Groucho trade barbs back and forth. Horse Feathers. probably the most underrated, for my favorite exchange.

Jennings: What are you doing here?
    Chico: I give her singing lessons.
    Jennings: Since when does she take singing lessons?
    Chico: Since you show up.
    Jennings (to Groucho): And who are you?
    Groucho: I'm the plumber. I'm here in case something goes wrong with her pipes. (to camera) That's the first time I've used that joke in 20 years.

Monkey Business has its moments, but I think it suffers from not having Margaret Dumont, who was such a perfect foil.

8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Duck Soup. The "Fredonia's Going to War" scene is matchless...

9. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    One I saw recently that definitely did NOT hold up was The Big Store. Probably most famous for the montage where Harpo is dressed as a French nobleman and plays the harp in a mirrored corner and the images start playing other instruments.

But it was awful with all the jokes and scenes forced. Definitely not one of their better ones.