Favorite Dribbling Moves

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by soccer711k, Jul 28, 2002.

1. soccer711k

soccer711k New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    I went to a camp this summer at Duke and a lot of the guys there could do some cool tricks or moves. I was wondering what other soccer players liked to pull on a defender. If you don't mind tell how you do the move.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. NC_ODP02

NC_ODP02 New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    NC, USA
    I like doing a lotta stepovers...variations of stepovers(adding something too it)....but just changing direction or faking in a direction works the best for me......

Are you from NC? If so, do you play club? J/W because I live in NC(near charlotte)...I attended Davidson camp tho...there were some alright players there. I was probably one of the best my age though(not cocky, just confidence)....the players in the College Development group(scouts look at them)......they were pretty awesome....

3. soccer711k

soccer711k New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    I live in AL but my dad lives in Fayetteville, NC.

4. terrywilson

terrywilson Member

May 3, 1999
    Atlanta Ga.
    When you are dribbling against a defender, I always will give a couple of moves to put him off balance and then blow by him. At upper levels you have to read his body motion and see if he is off balance just by a little bit, and then hit a move on him, making it impossible for him to recover. My other favorite move on the flanks is to take go at them fake inside then play the ball around him on the outside and run inside.

5. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    terry...i HATE when people do that move to me it is so hard to defend against!!!

a move that i just sort of learned is you pretend to go to one side by rolling ur foot over the ball then when your foot ends up in front of the ball you tap it forward and to the opposite side a bit using your back foot. I think it will work pretty well.

also....an awesome move once you learn it is you step over a couple times as you come up to the defender then you hit it with the outside of your foot and very quickly you hit it back the other way with the inside of the same foot. Then you blow by them with the outside of the opposite foot.

Another move is you just tap it with the inside of your foot throw your whole body the way the ball is going then quickly change direction and take it with the outside of your foot, blowing by the defender or just to his side to get off a quick shot.

Plus, there is a move where you are running forward then you put your foot on the ball like you're gonna roll your foot over, but then you use the heel of your foot to keep the ball rolling over. It looks so awesome and confusing when you do it combined with something like a stepover, or you pull the first move that i said on them once then do this one.

6. Hazardinho

Hazardinho Red Card

Jul 3, 2002
    defintely the best move is the fake kick. there are so many variations...

7. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a good move is performed better with blazing speed. Nothing like faking one way and going the other way while you leave the defender in the dust. Personally, there is a move called the Cruyff Turn, where you fake the shot and slip the ball in back of your plant leg with your other foot.

8. NC_ODP02

NC_ODP02 New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    NC, USA
    yea, the Cryuff turn works awesome on the endline(faking a cross) or in the box.......good way to open up the defense

9. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    An old favorite: the Matthews move, named after Sir Stanley Matthews, one of the greatest dribblers of his era. Take a lunging step with one foot in that direction (even throw out a hand in that direction), then take the ball away with the outside of the opposite foot. Work on really "selling" the fake.

10. nopheer

nopheer New Member

May 4, 2002
    Swindon, UK
    not the best way, but probably the most impressive to look at is to roll your foot over the ball left then right then left then right, etc. other variations (harder) is to just move the ball between your two feet at random very quickly (difficult to describe).. Each mothed would completely send the defender off balance.. but there are obviously easier moves with near enough the same effect.

11. nopheer

nopheer New Member

May 4, 2002
    Swindon, UK
    also the traditional flicking the ball over the head (like Mansiz did for turkey against brazil, but only use the move more intelligently than he did, lol)

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason I've never been able to execute a basic stepover, but I've got a bunch of other moves.

My favorite: the spin move. Slow or stop the ball with the toes of one foot, turn away from the defender while pulling the ball in the same direction with the other foot and shielding the ball with the body, and finally take the ball with the outside of the foot away from the defender.

A few others:

* Cut the ball back with one foot, and take it with the inside of the opposite foot.

* The Matthews: nudge the ball with the inside of the foot, adding a shoulder dip for effect, and explode with the outside of the same foot.

* Scissor fake: put one foot behind the ball as if you plan to cut with the outside of that foot, then quickly switch feet and take the ball with the outside of the other foot.

* The Cruyff, as explained in this thread already. Very useful at times.

* Also note: a basic cut-back can often create a chance to nutmeg a defender, even against fairly strong opposition. At one point, I actually managed to nutmeg at least one opponent in every game I played, whether pickup, intramural, or intercollegiate, for a full 9 months. It's really not that hard...

13. NC_ODP02

NC_ODP02 New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    NC, USA
    megging isnt hard at all....all you have to do is try....most of the time it is luck(unless thats is all you want to do)...because there is no way possible to make a person spread their legs withouth physically making them if they dont want to.......

nevertheless....its still fun to meg people...

14. Werdguy

Werdguy New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    New York
    sometimes, i post up and give my back to the defender...

from that point, the possibilities for step overs and spin moves are endless....

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry ;)

Fayettenam

16. NC_ODP02

NC_ODP02 New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    NC, USA
    hey, there are a few good teams(Force) from Fayetteville....I guess I dont know where the nam thing comes from since im around charlotte....

17. calcioguy9

calcioguy9 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Wisconsin, USA
    i like rolls, stepping on the ball and pushing/pulling, and just fake cut and speed. when i have my back to the defense, i like a stepover.

18. jporter

jporter New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    My fave move is the nutmeg.

19. calcioguy9

calcioguy9 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Wisconsin, USA
    oh yeah, i forgot that one. i dont often try it in games, but in practice its fun. best on goalies in scrimmages when you get on a breakaway.

20. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    it is really rather simple...change of direction and change of speed are the 2 things you need. there are infinite combinations you can use, however...

the sign of a good player is not one who can do fancy little tricks with the ball, rather, one who plays intelligently and simply.

plus, i can promise you as you get older, you're gonna get planted on your arse over and over and over if you hold onto the ball doing all that fancy crap...and refs won't call fouls for it.

21. bigfoot984

bigfoot984 New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Fort Wayne, IN

22. jtowns3

jtowns3 New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Chicago
    my favorite move is the one that ronaldinho has absolutely mastered! where you take the ball and move it will the outside of your foot and then snap the ball back with the inside. very hard to learn and master at game speed but once it is mastered it is very impressive and effective. take some time with this one.

23. Theo P

Theo P New Member

Mar 6, 2004

That is the "Elastica" move. It was actually invented by Garrincha and then masterd by Ronaldinho. If you can snap it back to your left foot you will be able to panna him really easily. I can't do it at my top speed though but almost.

24. GinGinGinGinGin

GinGinGinGinGin New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    THE BEST MOVE IS THE MARADONA!!! and if you dont know that move you are dumb