Favorite Airline

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Father Ted, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Looks like we have a whole lot of favorite threads here, so why not another one?

My favorite used to be Aer Lingus but we went travelled to Ireland last Christmas and they could not put all five of us together (my wife and I, twins 3 and a 18 month old).

My best experience was flying with Eva Air from Newark to Vietnam twice in 1999, they were so accomodating especially when we were returning with our 2 month old daughters.

All US airlines I've flown on suck big time.

2. scudley

scudley New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Syracuse, NY
    I enjoyed my flight on Jet Blue. Each seat has a personal TV with 20-ish stations.

Card Sharks was on the Game show network.

3. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

When I was a kid, I used to fly with my brother (3 yrs. older) on our own (from Ecuador to Chile). Flying Ladeco (now called Lan Chile) was awesome! We got plenty of candy and were able to visit the pilot cabin and stay there for a while.

Now that I'm older... well, not that old, the best service I've had is at domestic flights in American Airlines.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    agreed, i have always had good experiences with american airlines.

i also enjoyed flying sabena when i went to <and around> europe...

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Air Canada and KLM

6. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The best domestic service (out of NY at least) is Continental through their new Newark terminal. Plus, their BusinessFirst to Europe or LatAm is wonderful.

7. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1: Cathay Pacific.
    2: Any airline that upgrades me.
    268 (or whatever big number you want to put here): United

8. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Singapore Airlines: The sexiest stewardesses period. They serve you great food and then wipe you down every 30 minutes or so with hot towels.

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Southwest and JAL.

Alex

10. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got stranded by American at JFK when returning from Europe a few years back when their pilots called in sick as a labor tactic. I'm never flying with American again.

I have been a slave to United's frequent flyer program, and using miles to go to Korea in first class last summer was sweet. But the overall experience on United is mixed. I can understand why people don't like them. I'm flying Alaska to Seattle later this month as the first step in breaking my dependence on United.

Some people swear by Southwest but I can't stand their cattle call seating.

11. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I flew Virgin from NY to London and it was miles better than the British Airways flight back

I want to fly JetBlue at some point...I've heard great things about it

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Best carriers I've ever flown on

Lufthansa
    SwissAir
    Air France
    Alitalia

13. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fly exclusivel Continental Airlines.

I live in New Jersey so their Newark Hub is very convinient and besides that I've never had problems on the many, many flights I've flown with CO.

Their BusinessFirst is one of the best, according to industry polls and my personal experience. Their fleet is state of the art, new 777 and 767's have screens on each seat. Since the planes are so new they're very quiet.

I can't say enough about Continental.

14. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to say Virgin Atlantic.

• Watched "Bend it like Beckham" and The Ali G Show
    • Listened to Ministry of Sound
    • Played the built in playstation game
    • Ate pretty good vegan meals

All in coach.

It was actually fun.

15. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely keep CO in mind.

16. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The short-lived Air South. I once walked into RDU, slapped a $20 bill on the Air South counter, and was on my way to Atlanta thirty minutes later. The plane wasn't that nice or anything, but domestic beer was only $1 a can, and imports were only $2.

You can't beat that.

17. blackandgreen4life

blackandgreen4life New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Poland, Warszawa
    without a doubt LOT Polish... I will apply with a job with them when I get my license... plus National Airline... beautiful aircraft, very friendly FA's and good movies/food... always on time and very good flights...

#2: British Airways... absolutel wonderful experience.. I will willingly fly with them again if I got the chance...

18. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    I fly Air Canada at least twice a year and the Montreal crew is always super freindly and helpful, but whenever I have to go through L.B. Pearson Airport, the Toronto crew is always rude, looks like their flight crew's hate their jobs and lives, never a pleasent experience.
    As for Air France, other than the occasional strike, they get my thumbs up. Alitalia seem to always have delayed flights when I use them, made me stay an extra day in Paris.
    One awesome experience I will always remember was with Cross Air, in Rodez, France we were the only plane on the run-way and the pilot took off in less than 15 seconds from the moment the plane started moving. Felt like i was on a combat aircraft, I could feel the G-forces. Bestest feeling ever.

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Bill,

Southwest is the shizznat. I mean how can you argue with ************in' cheap-ass arilines that charge fat people double?? ************IN' A!!!

Plus I've never had trouble getting bumped up to an earlier flight on the Providence-BWI route

Usin' da Sizzouthwest to fly down to BWI in a few weeks (Bonanza Bus lines down the Provo airport ************ YEAH KID) anyway wait ************ its not in a few weeks its next ************ing weekend ANYWAY yeah i'll ************in be on southwest yo and its the ************

************ YEAH
    alex

20. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Haven't had the chance to fly overseas (yet), so I'll have to give the nod to Delta. Not necessarily because their service is any better than the rest, but they are the only airline who's ever given me free tickets (thank you Rose Bowl!).

I'd like to fly JAL and British Airways at some point in time.

21. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Without a doubt, Virgin. as far as the domestic carriers go, its been years since I've had a flawless flight, so I just go with the best deal and hope things won't be too crappy.

22. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Midwest Express, every seat was business class.

23. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Your continued hatred for the United States rears its' ugly head.

24. blackandgreen4life

blackandgreen4life New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Poland, Warszawa
    Honestly the US dosen't have any good ones that come to mind quickly... the American carriers tend to be overpriced for their service, and the cabins are/feel mush more cramped than that of world carriers...

EDIT - With the looming war in Iraq, who besides Americans dosen't hate the US?

25. cageyfoot

cageyfoot New Member

Feb 8, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I too have been underwhelmed by US carriers.

Like - Air Jamaica...talk about a sweet atmosphere on the plane. Great upbeat staff. And everyone smelled of rum.

Dislike (although I continue to use their services) - Iceland Air - If you don't speak whatever freakin' language they're speaking you're subhuman.