Farewell Oosterpark....[R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by White-green Pride, Dec 18, 2005.

1. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Last eredivisie match in our old stadium was today, as well as the official farewell....

And a worthy farewell it was. A 3-0 victory over NEC, great old fashioned atmosphere, 200 former FCG players making an appearance, fireworks after the match and a party in a huge tent next to the stadium....

Although i'm fully aware of the nescessity of a modern stadium in modern football, and i think the Euroborg is an absolutely stunning stadium for us, i feel sad and empty knowing that our days in the oosterpark are over. It was/is a unique stadium and after thursdays match vs. Volendam in the cup it will all be over....

/cry :(

2. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    sad. :(

maybe we should fill this thread with pictures of the old park.

3. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  4. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  5. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  6. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One of the most beautifull stadiums over here, hope the new one will have the same atmosphere

[​IMG]

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I feel your pain, it was very strange to say goodbye to lovely, hideous old Diekman.

Can we still beat up your lot at the Euroborg or do they have good security in place?

8. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I doubt Twente will be on the dealing end of any beat-up at Groningen Johan :D

Shame, shame, shame... Oosterpark was the last old-school stadium there was, with the packed terrace behind the goal and all. Really too bad.

9. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Exactly......lovely and hideous at the same time. I hope the spirit of Stadion Oosterpark moves with us to our new ground, but that's entirely up to us, the supporters.

The away section and the 'aanvoerroute' are isolated from the rest of the stadium exits and surroundings. Best chance would be to arrange a battle a day prior to the match at a place miles away from the stadium :D

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Ah yes, it's not like we haven't managed it before!

Exactly the same as at the Arke stadium as you probably know, the security measures I mean. Do you also have a train station right on the doorstep of the stadium? Also what is that HORRIBLE name Euroborg about? Twente fans completely ignore the Arke name by the way. It's the Epi Drost Stadium.

11. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    Same in Alkmaar. Most fans are going to ignore the name DSB-stadium and will call the new stadium "Victorie-stadium".

12. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    the name 'Euroborg' was just a working title for the entire project at first. The area is called Europapark, and 'borg' is an old saxon word for stronghold.
    People got so used to the name, they decided to keep it. Unless there is a sponsor who's willing to pay for a stadium name it will stay that way.....

I'm not too worried about that though. Not that I like it that much, but a name is easily changed, unlike the design of a stadium. Maybe we'll get a sponsor name like most other clubs have, or maybe the name will be changed to 'Tonny van Leeuwen stadion' or something along those lines in the future.....we'll see

13. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not yet, but there will be in 2007, including a special platform for trains with away fans