Fans to buy English club and then pick the team

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by HeMustScore!, Apr 27, 2007.

1. HeMustScore!

HeMustScore! New Member

Feb 12, 2006
    There's a new site http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/ where fans are going to buy an English team, they will also vote on team selection and what players to buy and sell. Cambridge is most voted for team so far.

2. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    A rather bizarre idea and no doubt doomed to failure. It would be hated by fans of the club picked. What manager would want to work for them? How would finances be handled?

Also a rather optomistic selection of clubs. A Step 1 or 2 club might be feasible with major alterations, especially those currently enduring some financial hardship. But Arsenal are a little out of the bracket available.

The criteria include a club which has to be capable of reaching the Premiership? Well technically any can, but more realistically, a lot more than £1.4million is going to be needed to do that.

3. Dead Penguin

Dead Penguin New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    UK
    Perhaps it's David Dein's cunning plan to take control of Arsenal. :)

I think it would be possible for a group like this to take over an underperforming club sort them out financially, get promoted and then sell for a profit, but the idea of reaching the Premiership is farfetched.

4. Polski

Polski New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like a novel concept that will certainly fail. If we look past that how exactly could that sort of arrangement handle relagation/promotion? It seems like a billion problems would arise if they did so.

5. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    Looks like a scam to me.

6. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's so crazy, it just might work.:)

7. Rig1964

Rig1964 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Either that or some sort of practical joke, I'll be astounded if it turns out this is for real.

8. Parr 21

Parr 21 New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Edmond, Ok
    I remember seeing something a year or two ago on ESPN or somewhere about a minor league baseball team doing this same thing. Thought it was kind of cool, but the manager hated it. The fans voted for the 3rd baseman to play Shortstop, the batting order was crazy, and other stuff. Haven't hard anything about, may try to google it and see if I can find anything out.

But the hell, I'll sign up !

9. bdndyc

bdndyc New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Oh my God could you imagine if this happened to your club?

On the bright side they currently have 250 of the 50,000 needed and I can't see anyone wanting to pay £35 to own 1/50000 of of Fisher Athletic....

Maybe if a club was failing financially and in the very lower leagues this would be viable but if these goons think that offering £1,375,000 to make a financially stable club a joke then they're daft.

10. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I'll throw in some cash if we can buy Leeds.

They have 6,000 people now.

11. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    I'll go without fish and chips for a day if it means Cov getting promoted next season.

12. sephjnr

sephjnr Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Club:
    Bristol City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you Ken Bates by any chance?

13. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I've been had.

14. m1150

m1150 New Member

Mar 3, 2007
    I read about it in Sports Illustrated. You could vote on the Internet to decide who would play where. So the opposition stuffed the ballot box, and they wound up with players at positions they had never played before.

15. bdndyc

bdndyc New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Thing is with this one is that the people who vote are the "owners" of the club so they'll be voting for the best players and team available, it's the genuine fans of the club who I feel terrible for.

It's a great bussiness idea for the guy running it. £7.50 costs, £7.50 X 50,000 = £375,000 he stands to make from this.

16. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    I think its a great idea. Brentford would be an excellent choice; London club, new manager, just been relegated.

I might be up for it. I have little doubt that they will raise the money.

17. KenXC

KenXC New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Maryland
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does an IPS even work? Do you even have a real share in perpetuity, or do you have to pay an annual fee still in order to "own" a share of the team?

18. TheMizzu

TheMizzu Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been looking into putting my money in this idea recently but a lot of people who I tell about it think its all just a scam. What would you say are the possibilities of it actually not being a scam?

19. bdndyc

bdndyc New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    I don't think it's a scam as such, but I think it is just a get rich quick scheme for the guy, I'd love to be proved wrong and everything.

£7.50 for expeses from 50,000 people is well over £300,000 for the man running it.

I worry it's not a realistic model for running a football club myself and the owner may or may not know this and people signing up won't realise until there money has gone.

If it is a working model and if the guy doing it doesn't go sloppy after pocketing £300,000 (he may not as more people will naturally get involved once it's a success) and the club bought actually wants to get bought as I'm sure an awful lot wouldn't this might just work.

But personally I wouldn't consider parting with any cash until you see the results from other people doing it. :p

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. m1150

m1150 New Member

Mar 3, 2007
  22. Konspiracy

Konspiracy New Member

May 20, 2007
    Gigg Lane Bury
    Its an interesting idea. If wealthy businessmen can buy clubs & make a name for themselves by owning a football club - why not a group of fans? Im not 100% convinced that this has been done with the correct motives behind it - but its worth a try. If you have shares in a club you are very interested to seeit succeed, BUT I have a feeling that one person will end up running the whole thing - I hope Im proved wrong.

23. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    That wealthy businessman doesn't, generally, interfere with team selection and tactics. They leave that role to the manager. Of course a few can be overly interfering.

Groups of fans do control some clubs (e.g. Bournemouth, Exeter), often financially rescuing the side. However, again these also leave the first team matters to their appointed manager. And of course the fans involved are as a rule long standing followers of the club, and should be more likely to go on from year to year.

24. bdndyc

bdndyc New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Shit.

After the 50,000 members were confirmed the table looks like this.

<LI class=columnBlue>1 Leeds United 2 Cambridge United <LI class=columnBlue>3 Nottingham Forest
    4 Accrington Stanley <LI class=columnBlue>5 Barnet
    6 Brighton <LI class=columnBlue>7 Brentford
    8 QPR <LI class=columnBlue>9 Torquay United
    10 Woking <LI class=columnBlue>11 York City
    12 Dagenham & Redbridge <LI class=columnBlue>13 Oxford United
    14 Halifax Town <LI class=columnBlue>15 Milton Keynes Dons

Take out the unrealistic teams and I make us 4th on that list, jesus christ I realise how awful an idea this is now, apparently 2 conference clubs and a league 2 club have contacted the owner with a view to buying. I prey it's not us, this is a scary time for all lower league fans who sweat, preying it's not their club that gets ruined by a bunch of Football Manager addicts.

Whichever club is taken over it will not be a popular choice and the fans will NEVER accept this as the owner.

25. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I'm gonna own your team and vote to buy a bunch of Hungarians to play on it...